Need help to fix camera viewfinder's AF selection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koplady11

Dec 2, 2009
East forever and ever
Long story!

I saw these black specks on my landscape pics. Initially I thought it was because the 18-55mm lens were dirty so I didn't think much into it. And then I changed to a 50mm lens (was going to the hospital and take pics of my newborn niece hence the portrait lens). So I took some pics of the sky outside my window for fun. I saw those specks again!

4650521008_3f108a7f67.jpg

So I knew I had to clean the inside of the body. I used the brush with the air pump thing, then peered into the viewfinder, then saw probably the remnants of the bristles of the brush, so I took a cloth instead. To my horror, I saw a SCRATCH at the bottom right of the frame when I peered through the viewfinder. I probably just panicked and started to just wipe the mirrors more profusely, so that might not have helped. I took another pic, turns our the scratch wasn't reflected in the pic at all.

But i discovered sthg else instead.

My AF point selection on the viewfinder have sort of faded! As in, the red spots are now blurred and the red isn't as sharp as before. Not that it can't AF anymore, but I can't see where its AFing as well now!!!

HELP!!! SOS!!!

sad to say, you have scratched your focusing screen, and you have to replace it.
the focusing screen is very fragile, and you should never attempt to clean it, except for blowing.

as for the dust that appears in your images, it should be dust on your sensor.
dust in on your focusing screen / viewfinder will never reflect on your images.

if you are unsure on how to clean the sensor, which i assume you don't, since you already screwed up your focusing screen.
get the people at the service center to do it for you when you bring your camera to have the focusing screen replaced.

though your AF might still be working, but it might not be as accurate as before, and same goes to the metering.

And so, I am devastated.

So around how much would replacing the focusing screen approx cost if its still under warranty?

Long story!

so I took a cloth instead. I probably just panicked and started to just wipe the mirrors more profusely, so that might not have helped.

HELP!!! SOS!!!

PLS, NV DO THIS ON YOUR SENSOR...:D

No need to get too panicky over this...many ppl scratched their focusing screen out of silliness...I did the same too...juz go to the service centre and get it replaced...learn the lesson and never commit the same mistake again...;)

And so, I am devastated.

So around how much would replacing the focusing screen approx cost if its still under warranty?

it isn't covered under warranty since it's a user fault.
the screen should cost you around $20-$30+ for your 500D, not sure if there will be any labour charges.

it isn't covered under warranty since it's a user fault.
the screen should cost you around $20-$30+ for your 500D, not sure if there will be any labour charges.

+ another $21.50 for sensor cleaning to remove those spots.

And after the wiping on the mirrors they might need some checks as well (and hopefully no replacement). The mirrors are quite fragile and the alignment is important. Not only reflects the mirror light to viewfinder but also to AF sensors and exposure metering (depending on camera). Mirrors are semi-transparent, the reflective coating is on front (unlike your bathroom mirror where the coating is at the back of the glass).
Best to tell the guys in CSC the whole story. Don't care much about the possible laugh they might have. But at least they know what to look out for. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Ok this might be a blessing in disguise (if I look at it as a half-full glass) that I learnt these things about my camera. Thanks guys for the replies, and uplifting my Monday mood. Will be sending my camera asap! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.