Need help Sir's

magodar1979

Mar 11, 2009
Hi Sir's
Yesterday i had been to Sitex show. Wanted to buy Nikon D90. They have quoted in this way,
Nikon D90 with AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105 f3.5-5.6G ED VR - SGD1688
Freebies- 8gb SD card, Nikon bracebag, cleaning kit, tripod, dry cabinet(30 ltrs) and Nikon travel bag.

I need ur suggestions on buying this package. Is it really worth. The freebies are really attracted me to go for it, but i stopped myself untill i hear from you.
Pls help in this
Thnx a lot

Hi Sir's
Yesterday i had been to Sitex show. Wanted to buy Nikon D90. They have quoted in this way,
Freebies- 8gb SD card, Nikon bracebag, cleaning kit, tripod, dry cabinet(30 ltrs) and Nikon travel bag.

I need ur suggestions on buying this package. Is it really worth. The freebies are really attracted me to go for it, but i stopped myself untill i hear from you.
Pls help in this
Thnx a lot

i'm not from N camp so i don't know the market price, but it is NEVER a good idea to buy DSLR at IT shows u better head down or call the local shops first today and then decide which price and goodies bundle u need, the most the freebies u stated above will worth around S$150 and the bag is a given, check this link for price guide on nikon product http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6690644#post6690644

Ask yourself do you really need all these goodies or you can go another shop outside to get the kit and add up all the usable stuff see if you will reach the same price? The only freebies that's worth it is the dry cabinet.

My suggestion is to bring the flyer with all these freebies offered to any local shop like those listed in the Price guide and ask if they can offer the same freebies but at a lower price. You may be able to knock off another couple of hundred bucks if you bargain hard enough.

Last edited:
I am not sure about nikon market pricing, but if you are getting your first dslr and the market pricing for the body with lens is around 1688 +- $50, it is actually quite worth it considering that you will need a dry cabinet or box to store your camera and lens, a bag and a memory card. Most shop will give the bag and card free, but there is a additional cabinet which actually cost around $100 for a new cabinet. The free tripod is also a good start for you as well as you might need one sooner or later.

1688 is RRP...

The D90 kit is selling outside for 1400+.

Worth it or not... up to you...

definitely not . . . :)

go the Funan and shop around for better deal . . . those reputated shops pls . . . :)
(which one ? search here to find out yourself . . . :bsmilie:)

definitely not . . . :)

go the Funan and shop around for better deal . . . those reputated shops pls . . . :)
(which one ? search here to find out yourself . . . :bsmilie:)

I agreed too, you will be happy to save money and the remaining $$$ can decide what to buy.

Hi Sir's

Thnx a lot for your guidance and support.
I'm not going to buy it at Sitex. Let me visit the shops that u mentioned.
Will update u again.
Thnx..thnx,:cool::cool:

One person doing homework. Still, there is hope :thumbsup:

One person doing homework. Still, there is hope :thumbsup:

not for those who not knowing queing up at sitex for the costly "freebies"

not for those who not knowing queing up at sitex for the costly "freebies"

Costly freebies are good if you have use for it or you have confidence you can sell it at a good price and the cost of paying for the item became cheaper then buying from shop. My friend brought his phone for extra $20 as compared to buying from shop. But he got a free canon printer/ scanner combo which he sold for $150.

depends...

if a shop offer u rrp, its not a good deal, for the $100 extra, I can buy myself better item

You should see the amount of people at the Canon booth, can't squeeze through them to get a flyer:bsmilie:

for this year... Canon/Harvery Norman very cheapo, don't even give cleaning kit & screen protector, just 1 card reader for their RRP prices...

this is the season for them to chop carroct head :confused:

for this year... Canon/Harvery Norman very cheapo, don't even give cleaning kit & screen protector, just 1 card reader for their RRP prices...

this is the season for them to chop carroct head :confused:

Comex still got crumpler bag, this time just the normal Canon one...

Comex still got crumpler bag, this time just the normal Canon one...

the crumpler is an online thing, meaning if you buy from regular shop, u register online u still get the bag, i rmb last comex still got extra battery for 550d, now their online promo is a 4GB thumbdrive :think:

Hi Sir's

Pls help in this
Thnx a lot

Im impressed you left the crowd that you barged all the way in, come home do a post and hear suggestions before deciding if you should barge into the crowd the next day and not spend the money to just get the camera straightaway.

Im impressed you left the crowd that you barged all the way in, come home do a post and hear suggestions before deciding if you should barge into the crowd the next day and not spend the money to just get the camera straightaway.

Ya now you mentioned it, I will give you a small cheering XMM gif :cheergal: for the effort you have done and classify you as a different member from those who post the same question about certain lens to certain lens or those who doesn't do their homework and expect to be spoon fed here after joining as a member. But still the answer to your question is obvious after check pricing with various shops and judge the value accordingly.

I'd have to say that for that sort of price you can get a better and newer model like a Pentax K5 ($1690 body only) and squeeze in another $300-400 for the dual kit lenses. I think the D7000 price is close to this as well.
While the D90 is not a bad camera, it is lagging in some features and performance compared to the newer models. Its also supposed to be ~$1.4k street price.

Forget about the freebies. They are not that good and easily out grown of.
Eg.
Bag - no of few compartments
Tripod - flimsy
SD card - Cheap ones that can be bought for a few dollars