Need Help: Siem Reap Itinerary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
Heading for my first photography-oriented overseas trip with colleagues by month end. Destination: Siem Reap, Cambodia. Will have 3 full days to spend. We decided to source the tour arrangement with the hotel and the itinerary below is what they suggested.

I would like to ask those who've been through Siem Reap for advise on what they think of the itinerary. Is there any place that we should skip or "must visit but not in the itinerary", and so on? Any other tips or suggestions on how to make the trip fruitful would be appreciated.

Day One
In the morning, visit the ancient capital of Angkor Thom (12th century). See the South Gate (with its huge statues depicting the churning of the ocean of milk), Bayon Temple (the Royal Enclosure, Phimeanakas, the Elephant Terrace and the Terrace of the Leper King.

In the afternoon, visit the most famous of all the temples on the Angkor plain: Angkor Wat. The temple complex covers 81 hectares and is comparable in size to the Imperial Palace in Beijing. Its distinctive five towers are emblazoned on the Cambodian flag and the 12th century masterpiece is considered by art historians to be the prime example of classical Khmer art and architecture. Angkor Wat's five towers symbolize Meru's five peaks, the enclosed wall represents the mountains at the edge of the world and the surrounding moat symbolizes the ocean beyond Sunset from Phnom Bakheng, one of two hills dominating the plain of Angkor, from where you will have a spectacular view of the Western Baray and Angkor Wat.

Day Two
In the morning, you will continue your temple visits. Included are Prasat Kravan (with its unique brick sculptures), Srah Srang ("The Royal Boths" was once used for ritual bathing), Banteay Kdei (surrounded by four concentric walls), Eastern Mebon (guarded at its corner by stone figures of harnessed elephants, some of which are still in a reasonable state of preservation) and the "Mountain Temple" of Pre Rup.

In the afternoon, transfer to the archaeological site and continue to the temple tour. Visit Ta Prohm, one of the most beautiful temples in the area. Ta Prohm has been left relatively untouched since it was discovered and retains much of its mystery, then; visit Takeo, Thommanon and Chau Say Tevoda temples.

Day Three
Early morning, you will see Sunrise at Angkor Wat then back to hotel break for while and go to visit Banteay Srei (45 Kilometers).

In the afternoon, visit the floating village of the Chong Khneas, located 10 kilometers south of Siem Reap. Take a traditional wooden boat for a ride on the Tonle Sap, the "Great Lake" of Cambodia and the largest in Asia and see the daily life of local people in the floating village then back to see "Les Artisans D'Angkor – Chantiers Ecoles" of Siem Reap and time at leisure at the local market.

:Later,

Last edited:
if it is a photography oriented trip then book yr own driver and vehicle and visit the places based on light and time conditions. I went Bayon Temple twice in the same day as the morning light was quite bad, so I decided to get my bike rider to go back in the afternoon.

Try to see sunrise at Angkor Wat on day 2. Then you have an option to go back again on day 3 if the sunrise on day 2 is not good.

I had just returned from Cambodia few weeks ago. Mine is a 5 days tour at Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. What i think is probably you might want to skip the tour for "Les Artisans D'Angkor – Chantiers Ecoles", if you are having a photography-oriented trip. If you want to experience the silk making process of cambodian or get any souvenirs from the Artisans gift shop, then you can carry on for the tour at Les Artisans D'Angkor.

What i heard from my tour guide, if you really want to go through the whole Angkor War, you need at least 1 week to do so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.