Need Help: Recommend Photo Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlwang

Apr 9, 2002
Visit site
Hi there

Looking for a photo printer to replace my old HP 830C.

Budget is less than 400 SGD. Will use new printer for printing digital photos, mainly for hobby, not hardcore professional digital photographers. Should use individual ink tank also.

Need your recommendation to suggest models from Canon, Epson and HP.

Welcome existing users of these printers to give their opnions :)

mlwang said:
Hi there

Looking for a photo printer to replace my old HP 830C.

Budget is less than 400 SGD. Will use new printer for printing digital photos, mainly for hobby, not hardcore professional digital photographers. Should use individual ink tank also.

Need your recommendation to suggest models from Canon, Epson and HP.

Welcome existing users of these printers to give their opnions :)
The R210 from Epson is my recommendation. Of course, I'm using it :D

Pro:
Cheap (about $199 at Sitex but now more like $228), individual tanks that doesn't seem to drink inks, producing bright and sharp prints as well. Never clog (touch wood :D ) in the 10 months that I have been using, even when I had turned off for >1 month or left it on without using for that same period, even though my room is very dusty. Has the ability to print on CDs, wide variety of papers to use, have not seen any fading at all when my prints are left just on the (dusty) table without any form of protection, no direct sunlight.

Cons:
Not the fastest (though not the slowest), taking about 1 minute for a 4R borderless print on Photo quality setting. A A4 on Best Photo takes about 4 mins.

No media slots nor LCD screen to allow direct printing from media but to me, that is trivia as I use my own media readers.

Tink u might want to consider the new canon Pixma IP3000 ($229) or IP 4000 ($289)..both gave out reasonable good prints, can print on CDs/DVDs, with built in auto duplex and 2-way feeding of paper...looks cool to me at least...I not sure abt other brands' ink but I tink canon ink relatively cheap...ard $16 per ink tank onli....Good Lucks in ur printer finding~!!

Sorry no offence to those Epson's printers fans but IMO I have tried to print out using Epson and Canon photo printers at the PC exhibition and it came out that the results were superb using Canon ;p but Epson really disappoint me cos the photos not that sharp nor vibrant in colour. :thumbsd:

scramblur11 said:
Tink u might want to consider the new canon Pixma IP3000 ($229) or IP 4000 ($289)..both gave out reasonable good prints, can print on CDs/DVDs, with built in auto duplex and 2-way feeding of paper...looks cool to me at least...I not sure abt other brands' ink but I tink canon ink relatively cheap...ard $16 per ink tank onli....Good Lucks in ur printer finding~!!

Hi there the pixma range is definitely something worth considering, what is the diff between 3000, 4000 and 5000 series?

mlwang said:
Hi there the pixma range is definitely something worth considering, what is the diff between 3000, 4000 and 5000 series?

Hi mlwang..actually the diff between these printers is mainly the no of ink tanks, resolution and ink droplets size...IP5000 has the highest resolution right nw at 9600x2400, uses 1 & 5 picolitre ink droplets and uses 2 black (1 pigment & 1 dye based ink) and the 3 basic colors (cyan, magneta, yellow)...IP4000 and IP3000 is similiar in tat both is 4800x2400 and uses 2 & 5 picolitre ink droplets...but IP3000 onli uses 1 black ink tank (pigment) while IP4000 got 2 black ink tanks....btw there a wireless version of IP4000 call IP4000R ($389)

btw tink ur budget below $400 rite?..den u can also wan to consider IP5000($389)....best way for u to compare between printers is u bring ur own pic to either epson, canon or HP showroom den do a test print...den will u be able to see the diff btw printers.... ;)

Just bought Epson R210

So far I am happy with the print results and quite amaze of the quiet printing and quality.

megaweb said:
Just bought Epson R210

So far I am happy with the print results and quite amaze of the quiet printing and quality.

hey hi...I quite curious and havent got the chance to check it out...if epson inks more expensive than canon??...I know HP inks quite ex coz they usually sell wif print heads?.....

scramblur11 said:
hey hi...I quite curious and havent got the chance to check it out...if epson inks more expensive than canon??...I know HP inks quite ex coz they usually sell wif print heads?.....
I echo Megaweb's comments. Those who saw my pics like the one below printed can attest to the color richness and sharpness.

lunapark.jpg

(please ignore the colored squares; they were used to illustrate crops)

The R210 is a 6-ink tank which have inks approximately the same price as Canon. HP though are significantly more expensive.

Chickencurry, I suspect those who set up didn't do a good job or they used cheap paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.