Need Help - purchase of softwares needed when upgrading PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie_genie

Mar 17, 2006
Western Singapore
Hi pals

need your expert advice. I'm thinking of changing my home desktop PC to a new one as the processor is quite slow.

Problem is I'm not sure if I need to buy new copies of registered software like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop etc when I change/upgrade my PC since most of these are only single licence?

I'm quite clueless about this so any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Hi pals

need your expert advice. I'm thinking of changing my home desktop PC to a new one as the processor is quite slow.

Problem is I'm not sure if I need to buy new copies of registered software like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop etc when I change/upgrade my PC since most of these are only single licence?

I'm quite clueless about this so any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

if the old pc u intend to scrape, aka, no other person going to use it anymore. then you can use the license on the new system. Or, you can uninstall from the old one and install on the new one.

There are certain types of OEM licenses that are "bound" to the physical machine they are first installed on.

Bound in the sense of legally bound, ie installation on another PC (even when the first PC has uninstalled it) falls outside the terms of the license. Hence, whilst you can install it in the new system, you MAY be breaching the terms of the license. Think of it as being "non-transferable".

You can check on the license terms which came with the software to be sure.

Of course, there is almost always no software which is "technically binding" in the sense that they don't work outside of hte original first-installed PC; save for some versions of Windows.

Hi pals

Take out the old hdd and install into new one .All your programs can be use from the new
system.Explore and find the programs and create short cut on you desktop.Click and use them.All software are for one computer only,since you scape the old one,transfer the old harddisk to your new computer thus you are still consider to be using one pc.

Take out the old hdd and install into new one .All your programs can be use from the new
system.Explore and find the programs and create short cut on you desktop.Click and use them.All software are for one computer only,since you scape the old one,transfer the old harddisk to your new computer thus you are still consider to be using one pc.

This is not really a good advice. While you can transfer data files this way, copying application programs or running them off the old hard disk will most of the time not work, as the related system registry, dlls, etc are not setup in the new system. It is best to re-install the applications. There are some other ways of transferring the entire content from your old system to the new one, e.g. using the microsoft tool "sysprep", but that would be complicated.

This is not really a good advice. While you can transfer data files this way, copying application programs or running them off the old hard disk will most of the time not work, as the related system registry, dlls, etc are not setup in the new system. It is best to re-install the applications. There are some other ways of transferring the entire content from your old system to the new one, e.g. using the microsoft tool "sysprep", but that would be complicated.

may works, just made the old HDD as the main boot disk. windows will ask for new driver etc. anyway, i dont think you shold do this, as old HDD will be the slowest in your new comp.

may works, just made the old HDD as the main boot disk. windows will ask for new driver etc. anyway, i dont think you shold do this, as old HDD will be the slowest in your new comp.

This will probably work for older Windows systems, but it won't work for XP or Vista. The later systems make use of a component called HAL to keep the hardware info, and at the same time preventing people from installing the same license on more then 1 computer. That is why microsoft provides the "sysprep" tool, to prepare the hard disk on one PC to be used on another PC.

hi everyone,

dun think I'll recycle the hard-disk cos not so IT-savvy to build my own PC, so most likely buy one of those ready-made HP/Lenovo/Dell type...

Is it possible to install my old HDD into these? :dunno:

yes.. If you're using a Sata one, just get a sata cable and plug it in. IDE will be slightly tricky. If the motherboard has a IDE port, then easy. if not got to use a 'converter' to allow the HDD to be read.

Seriously, I dunno the answer. I simply tell the guy who does up my computer what are the programs I wanna retain.... Then the rest is up to him already....

There is no OEM edition of photoshop in existence to what I have been told. Yes you can use ur old harddisk as an additional drive if ur new desktop supports its connectivity(ide or sata).

Status
Not open for further replies.