Need help on zoom lens for nikon d5000

wikitoria

Jul 10, 2010
should i get a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM or a nikon 18-105mm vr D90 lens?
whats the price range for both which is brand new and which is better? NEED help:/

should i get a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM or a nikon 18-105mm vr D90 lens?
whats the price range for both which is brand new and which is better? NEED help:/

there's a price guides section in this forum to refer to.

otherwise u can always call up the shops or ask them for an equote.

both lenses are so different. if u wan more reach, get the 18-250. else the 18-105.

make sure ur nikkor is AF-S len DX mount, ie has built in silent wave motor. as equal to the HSM for sigma.

make sure ur nikkor is AF-S len DX mount, ie has built in silent wave motor. as equal to the HSM for sigma.

Err for third party lenses, all shops will ask you which mount you want, it's just the Nikon mount. The Sigma lens the TS pointed out has HSM so it will focus on his camera.

Also, just to clarify, there is no such thing as a AF-S DX mount. Nikon uses the F-mount. AF-S just means that the lens has a built in motor, DX just means 1.5x crop. For crop bodies, you don't need to make sure that the lens is a DX lens, as DX bodies can use FX lenses.

Eh, he asking to choose btwn sigma or nikkor lens.

Do you have any existing lens? If you have, do you find yourself needing a lot more reach? If you do, get the 18-250, otherwise the 18-105 is better. If you don't find yourself needing more reach, then don't get anything. If you don't have any lenses yet, the 18-250 is a decent lens that can help you decide on your future lens purchase, by looking at the focal length you most commonly shoot at on that zoom lens.

I'm using the d90 for myself,just helpping my friend who is using d5k. so yea. thanks for these advice, so between this 2 lens which is a much better one?

I'm using the d90 for myself,just helpping my friend who is using d5k. so yea. thanks for these advice, so between this 2 lens which is a much better one?

like baggiolee has pointed out, these 2 lenses are very different, especially in terms of focal length

if ur fren wans convenience over IQ, then get the sigma 18-250, or the nikkor 18-200 or the tamron's 18-270 pzd

if ur fren prefers IQ more but intends to haf tele also n dun mind changing lenses, get the 18-105 n the 55-300 or the 70-300 to cover the range.

my 2 cents

It really depends what suits you best. When we all suggest a ton of lenses to you, it is still your decision to make. We recommend, you choose.

thanks alot guys!:) it's of great help.

TS no point getting the 18-105.. U're better off with 18-200, 18-270 etc..

Just know what are u actually taking and what is ur budget. then work out the lenses that fit ur budget & ur needs (Do-it-all lens? Prime? Short Zoom? Telephoto?)

TS no point getting the 18-105.. U're better off with 18-200, 18-270 etc..

Just know what are u actually taking and what is ur budget. then work out the lenses that fit ur budget & ur needs (Do-it-all lens? Prime? Short Zoom? Telephoto?)

why so certain that TS will be "better off" with 18-200 or 18-270?
Not everyone requires the telephoto range.

why so certain that TS will be "better off" with 18-200 or 18-270?
Not everyone requires the telephoto range.

I was saying that in reference to the 18-105.

TS requested for advice on Sigma 18-250 or Nikkor 18-105 so it will be presumed that he's looking for end range between 105 - 250+ ?

I was saying that in reference to the 18-105.

TS requested for advice on Sigma 18-250 or Nikkor 18-105 so it will be presumed that he's looking for end range between 105 - 250+ ?

Well, if he is definitely looking for telephoto range of >100mm, then 18-105 would not even factor into the decision process.
But anyway no point speculating since TS can easily clarify that.

My point is that superzoom lenses aren't everyone's cup of tea, so 'better' is a very subjective interpretation.
Some simply adore them. Others would not ever consider buying them.