Need help on who to trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Hi all bro and sis,

Anyone come across this problem, which one will you trust?

had e-mail to digi-cabi but they don't seem like interested in replying my mail.

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/101828

The dial and the white digital hygro tallies right? So it must be the silver digital hygro that is wrong. ;p

wah lau...like that we need to get another digital hygrometer? i think the silver one is come with the digi cab one leh.

any reply from them?

i don't see anything wrong with any of the readings. consumer hygros are +/- 20% accurate.. so :dunno: what's wrong.

There's no need to monitor the humidity in the dry box as if they were cigars. Cameras and lenses are more robust than that.

i don't see anything wrong with any of the readings. consumer hygros are +/- 20% accurate.. so :dunno: what's wrong.

There's no need to monitor the humidity in the dry box as if they were cigars. Cameras and lenses are more robust than that.
I agrees with you. Consumer grade device are not calibrated with that tight tolerance. Hence a 10% different is well acceptable. Even in my DHC, there is a 10% difference from my digital hydrometer, I just take that with a pinch of salt:). Also to the TS, the location of the sensors will also affects the readouts.

I'm using Akarui. For mine... the hygrometer is not under warranty. CP told me just buy one in DIY shop to replace if it ever spoils. You can check with them the coverage. If not under warranty probably they won't entertain you. If I were you, I'll trust the 2 with the same reading and forget about the other.

Most consumer grade Digital Thermohygrometer are about +/- 5% accuracy (20% mentioned here is a little excessive) for humidity & +/- 1degC for temperature.

But i agree that i don't see anything very wrong here. The tolerance stack up of both hygrometers together will give an arithmetical worst case of about +/- 10% difference.

Thanks everyone.

have called them up and was told that the meter have to calibrate every 6 month.

I believe everyone worry about fungus and rubber crack so everyone here are looking to maintain the RH at between 45 to 55. if we're not going to maintain it at that range then what is the purpose to get a dry cabi. 5 or 10% maybe still ok but if is 20% I think can just put cigars and forget it.

Thanks Cyberian, will try out the salt test.

calibrate once every 6 months?? bring the whole box down to them? or they send technician over?

have to take the meter out and bring it down by ourself

I have the same problem with my Digi-cabi hygrometer. The difference in reading is between 10-15, which is really quite a lot... so I just try to adjust to a level that fits withing the 40-50 range for both meters.

Lancer CK said:
I agrees with you. Consumer grade device are not calibrated with that tight tolerance. Hence a 10% different is well acceptable. Even in my DHC, there is a 10% difference from my digital hydrometer, I just take that with a pinch of salt. Also to the TS, the location of the sensors will also affects the readouts.
I won't trust that $30 hygro for the stated +/- 5% a simple hygro with that kind of spec will cost easily $300. What the package merely states is sensor accuracy and not system accuracy. ;) anyway i made a mistake. consumer hygros are accurate to +/-10% (range of 20%, i mixed up the +/- with the range) and many of the readings drift with temp changes.

Bern said:
I believe everyone worry about fungus and rubber crack so everyone here are looking to maintain the RH at between 45 to 55. if we're not going to maintain it at that range then what is the purpose to get a dry cabi. 5 or 10% maybe still ok but if is 20% I think can just put cigars and forget it.
well.. both meters are in your range of 45-55 unless you're really so uptight about that 1% difference of the gospel 45-55%.

OT: cigars otoh are more sensitive and demanding towards humidity because they do absorb or dry up in the environment they are stored. Some cigar collectors actually put in a humidifier inside a dry cab to maintain the humidity level to a +/- 1% difference. You might want to consider those dry cabs if you're worried about rubber cracking etc.

My dry cab ran at <30% for as long as I knew it and never had any of my lens, cameras or what nots inside cracked.
dryrh.jpg

was told need to leave it for 2 to 3 day for testing.

Now I'm trying out the salt test. test start at 2000hrs now 2100hrs the reading for the one come wuth the digicabi is 71% @ 28c and the white one is 75% @ 28c. will check it out again once it reach 8 hrs.

have to take the meter out and bring it down by ourself
by the way, did you ask about how they calibrate the meters? what's their reference? I hope it isn't the salt of wrap with wet paper test.

I won't trust that $30 hygro for the stated +/- 5% a simple hygro with that kind of spec will cost easily $300. What the package merely states is sensor accuracy and not system accuracy. ;) anyway i made a mistake. consumer hygros are accurate to +/-10% (range of 20%, i mixed up the +/- with the range) and many of the readings drift with temp changes.

well.. both meters are in your range of 45-55 unless you're really so uptight about that 1% difference of the gospel 45-55%.

OT: cigars otoh are more sensitive and demanding towards humidity because they do absorb or dry up in the environment they are stored. Some cigar collectors actually put in a humidifier inside a dry cab to maintain the humidity level to a +/- 1% difference. You might want to consider those dry cabs if you're worried about rubber cracking etc.

My dry cab ran at <30% for as long as I knew it and never had any of my lens, cameras or what nots inside cracked.
dryrh.jpg

Yes I know both are in the range. I just want to know if any bro or sis out here have the same problem as my cabi and how they look into it to solve the problem. I have no idea about cigar cabi but I know that those who get a dry cabi is bcos of keeping it equipments well away from fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.