Need Help on Website Designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi CSers,

seen some of u with very nice websites. can i request some info on where can i learn such stuff, or u can share how did u pick up ur skills? if possible, provide a link to ur website can?

pls feel free to leave some advices, like what books toi read for self teaching, where to go for courses? or lagi best, if u wanna conduct such a course? :bsmilie:

there are lots of resources on the Internet. go to any search engine and search for "web design".

wainism in SCE rite...wait for next sem when CEC conducts dreamweaver course lor... hee.. they have it every yr.. dunno whether they gg to have it next sem. hmm..... :think:

if not, just pick up from books lor... quite easy one.. i think.

wainism said:
hi CSers,

seen some of u with very nice websites. can i request some info on where can i learn such stuff, or u can share how did u pick up ur skills? if possible, provide a link to ur website can?

pls feel free to leave some advices, like what books toi read for self teaching, where to go for courses? or lagi best, if u wanna conduct such a course? :bsmilie:

I use basic html coding (very simple to understand one lah!) plus a few javascripts I copied for other sites that I like... all put together on the simple notepad. That way, I have full control over what is on the site, without all the extra rubbish that web editing softwares add on.

Have a look at this web authoring site for starters...

juzthin said:
wainism in SCE rite...wait for next sem when CEC conducts dreamweaver course lor... hee.. they have it every yr.. dunno whether they gg to have it next sem. hmm..... :think:

if not, just pick up from books lor... quite easy one.. i think.

CEC courses reliable not?! last sem i went for this CEC(i think) course for building a computer, quite crap leh :(

wainism said:
hi CSers,

No need course lah, for basic web page you can just get a html book and learn from it. Need just a pc/laptop with notepad and a web browser. (if u need to buy one, sms me and i'll sell mine (just brought a few days back, done my webpage liao) to you at $30. The title is "The complete reference, HTML & XHTML, Fourth Edition" sms me at 91192975 if u really want it. :D

If you want something fancy, try php (free), javascript (free) and if you need to create database with your webpage, try mysql (free too). You need to activate your iis or your web server from your windows.

i m totally totally new to this web design thing. really need some ideas on how to start from scrtach. what progs i need, where to learn these scripts and stuff..
pls somebody help me!!!!!! :sweat:

wainism said:
CEC courses reliable not?! last sem i went for this CEC(i think) course for building a computer, quite crap leh :(

er... CEC nvr conduct computer assembly course leh... Think you got it mixed up with computer society lah... haha...

Dreamweaver teaches u how to use DW MX, for more advance stuff like web programming, try taking up the ASP course lor...

tip: u'll need ASP in year sc304 ;)

In any way, u can pick up quite easily one... try www.w3schools.com for the easy stuff. ;p

juzthin said:
er... CEC nvr conduct computer assembly course leh... Think you got it mixed up with computer society lah... haha...

Dreamweaver teaches u how to use DW MX, for more advance stuff like web programming, try taking up the ASP course lor...

tip: u'll need ASP in year sc304 ;)

In any way, u can pick up quite easily one... try www.w3schools.com for the easy stuff. ;p

oops.. must have been mixed up!!! was conducted by some indian students. they know their stuff lah, but their instructions quite lousy lah. anyway, will join next yr if theres such courses. any way to learn of these courses? anyway,u shd be from sce? do we learn web design and stuff in our syllabus?

wainism said:
oops.. must have been mixed up!!! was conducted by some indian students. they know their stuff lah, but their instructions quite lousy lah. anyway, will join next yr if theres such courses. any way to learn of these courses? anyway,u shd be from sce? do we learn web design and stuff in our syllabus?

indian students? confirm lah.. must be comp society....haha... they all also from SCE one.. haha...

and hor..ya, i from sce.. still here.. haiz....

web design and stuff? sorry lah... wrong course liao... but can pick up sideline one... that's why CEC conduct these courses mah... not in syallbus but students want to know... haha... hmm... sound like i promoting CEC a lot hor... ;p

juzthin said:
indian students? confirm lah.. must be comp society....haha... they all also from SCE one.. haha...

and hor..ya, i from sce.. still here.. haiz....

web design and stuff? sorry lah... wrong course liao... but can pick up sideline one... that's why CEC conduct these courses mah... not in syallbus but students want to know... haha... hmm... sound like i promoting CEC a lot hor... ;p

:think: hmmz.... and i wonder why...... :dunno:

kekekekeke....

Maybe you state what you want to get from the website and we can see what kinda stuff you should consider.

Eg, do you just want to display information? - html should do

or you want interactive web page (which keeps or does not keep data)? - i like to use php. This site is created with php, can also consider asp, perl, etc, but generally need you to learn programming.

or you want very graphics intensive one that will need you to learn some graphic intensive web designing program ....

My experience, html is very easy to learn. With a good book as reference, you should be able to come out with something nice easily. If you cannot go pass html, forget about the scripting part. However, i think there are tools to help you create webpage without writing your own html.

Depends on what u want lah.

erm.. basically want to do a interactive website. maybe some forums, with those fancy flash stuff, moving animations. thinking along the lines of a website for my hall. where people can post coments, do polls etc etc. but must look good lah, so shd be graphics intensive. html pretty plain leh..

wainism said:
erm.. basically want to do a interactive website. maybe some forums, with those fancy flash stuff, moving animations. thinking along the lines of a website for my hall. where people can post coments, do polls etc etc. but must look good lah, so shd be graphics intensive. html pretty plain leh..
if u want to do that u have to go for ASP or PHP coding i think... harder to learn but should give u the same results as CS here... good luck!

wainism said:

one step at a time.
If you wish to achieve the things you have mentioned within a short time, then I advise you to get someone to do it for you.

yeah i know.. what i m talking abt is the (hopefully) end result! erm.. currently reading html.. hopefully i can set up a website someday :sweat:

Creating a website is easy.

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Hello, World!</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>This is my very first web page. <A HREF="http://www.clubsnap.org">This</A> is my favourite website.</BODY>
</HTML>

Creating a good and aesthically-pleasing website requires a bit of skill. It goes beyond the HTML and whatever coding and touches into usability and design.

Status
Not open for further replies.