Need help on UWA

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
I want to buy a UWA for my landscape shots as 90% of my shots are landscape. I had a few models in mind but i would like to hear some of your reviews/experience on these following lens.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f3.5

I had these 3 in mind so can anyone help me more with it ? The difference between the 2 sigma models is that one has a constant aperture while the other do not. But for landscape, i do not need the f3.5 and i know that this model uses a 82mm filter which make it hard for me to get nd filters for it.

Any recommendations ? Thank You

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
I want to buy a UWA for my landscape shots as 90% of my shots are landscape. I had a few models in mind but i would like to hear some of your reviews/experience on these follow lens.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f3.5

I had these 3 in mind so can anyone help me more with it ? The difference between the 2 sigma models is that one has a constant aperture while the other do not. But for landscape, i do not need the f3.5 and i know that this model uses a 82mm filter which make it hard for me to get nd filters for it.

Any recommendations ? Thank You
The Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 received good reviews, the f3.5 version I'm not so sure. But for landscapes, you don't need fast apertures. You can also consider the Tokina 12-24, which is cheaper than the Tokina 11-16, if you don't need that wide.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
brapodam said:
The Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 received good reviews, the f3.5 version I'm not so sure. But for landscapes, you don't need fast apertures. You can also consider the Tokina 12-24, which is cheaper than the Tokina 11-16, if you don't need that wide.
Thanks for your advice, i think i go for the sigma for its focal length and that its wider

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
My advise is... to check out if you really need that wider 1mm?!?!

Tokina 11-16 is sharper and a faster lens (the speed is useful in some situations outside of landscape). And I only shoot 13-16mm with that lens because at 11-13, there are distortions that spoils the image. I personally feel 16mm on DX is usually wide enough.

So do check out how is the distortion like on the 10-20 first.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
My advise is... to check out if you really need that wider 1mm?!?!

Tokina 11-16 is sharper and a faster lens (the speed is useful in some situations outside of landscape). And I only shoot 13-16mm with that lens because at 11-13, there are distortions that spoils the image. I personally feel 16mm on DX is usually wide enough.

So do check out how is the distortion like on the 10-20 first.
icic, i think i will go down to the shops to have a look/try try at both

Cowseye

Mar 7, 2010
Singapore
www.ttlo-cowseye.com
UWA can be use for non-landscape shots. But i would advise only consider Tokina if u want to do beyond landscape to make use of the F/2.8. The other UWAs are cheaper.. and wider.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
UWA can be use for non-landscape shots. But i would advise only consider Tokina if u want to do beyond landscape to make use of the F/2.8. The other UWAs are cheaper.. and wider.
I planning to get a walkabout tamron 17-50 too, that why the UWA will only be purely for landscape shots. So should i get the sigma as it's wider and i do not need the f2.8 fast aperture

kentwong81

Jun 18, 2010
Singapore
www.kentwongphoto.com
Do you know the DX kit lens 18-55 also can take nice landscape photos, especially if your photoshop skill is good? Just do a search in Flickr.com and you will be amazed.

Cowseye

Mar 7, 2010
Singapore
www.ttlo-cowseye.com
It can do non-landscape shot that a 17-50mm cannot do. The purpose of a UWA is to exaggerate perspective. Like what others had said, you can take great landscape shot with the kit lens, but there are some landscape and non-landscape shot that a > 17mm above lens cannot do.

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
Do you know the DX kit lens 18-55 also can take nice landscape photos, especially if your photoshop skill is good? Just do a search in Flickr.com and you will be amazed.
There is a difference between 18 and 16. I had the 18-200 and 11-16. At 13-16 I get more in view and the perspective is totally different from the 18 on 18-200. Don't think Photoshop can add in elements. You can however, do a panorama and the crop but that's too much of work.

brapodam

Jun 12, 2009
AMK
There is a difference between 18 and 16. I had the 18-200 and 11-16. At 13-16 I get more in view and the perspective is totally different from the 18 on 18-200. Don't think Photoshop can add in elements. You can however, do a panorama and the crop but that's too much of work.
I think perspective distortion is what you should get UWAs for...if you need a wider field of view you can step back a few steps...of course sometimes you can't and that's where the UWA comes in, but the kind of perspective the UWA gives you cannot be replicated with a normal wide angle.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
There are numerous discussion here on UWA. Do look them up... many have commented there, you will be flooded with information.

This may help you too: http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_10-20_vs_canon_tamron_tokina.htm

I am a user of Sigma 10-20 f4. IMO, its the most bang for buck UWA. :D
yea i read this up before to get my conclusion of either the sigma or tokina. this is really a helpful website :thumbsup:

yes i saw before :) but i prefer minimal photoshop so not for me i guess

It can do non-landscape shot that a 17-50mm cannot do. The purpose of a UWA is to exaggerate perspective. Like what others had said, you can take great landscape shot with the kit lens, but there are some landscape and non-landscape shot that a > 17mm above lens cannot do.
yes i agree, previously i use the kit lens 18-105 for my landscape, it does not give me the "wide" which i wanted that why i wanted to invest in UWA

I still a newbie, dunno how to do panorama, hope to learn this in future :cool:

I think perspective distortion is what you should get UWAs for...if you need a wider field of view you can step back a few steps...of course sometimes you can't and that's where the UWA comes in, but the kind of perspective the UWA gives you cannot be replicated with a normal wide angle.
yes i agree, UWA is what i needed now for my landscapes

mikeyjayy

Sep 21, 2010
i think you should just bite the bullet and get the tokina 11-16. cos that was what i did. ha-ha.

and i find it extremely wide enough for me. and don't get me started on the sharpness.

true that you might not need the constant f/2.8 for your landscapes, but i think you'll start to appreciate it more when the sun goes down and you wanna try some creative environment potraits.. that's when i find the f/2.8 quite a savior.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
i think you should just bite the bullet and get the tokina 11-16. cos that was what i did. ha-ha.

and i find it extremely wide enough for me. and don't get me started on the sharpness.

true that you might not need the constant f/2.8 for your landscapes, but i think you'll start to appreciate it more when the sun goes down and you wanna try some creative environment potraits.. that's when i find the f/2.8 quite a savior.
Thanks for your advise :)

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
kentwong81 said:
Lens selection and Photoshop are 2 totally separate issues I think.

And you can take great landscape photos with any lens without Photoshop.

PaulKami

Sep 9, 2007
paulkami.com

1 question here regarding UWA,

Any comparison between the Tokina 11-16, Nikon's DX 10-24 F3.5-4.5, and Nikon's DX 12-24 F4?

mikeyjayy

Sep 21, 2010
For my case I bought the tokina 11-16 after hearing many good reviews from people who use it.. But the ultimatum was when I read kenrockwell's review.. Although his reviews sometime is a little far fetched, the evidence he provided when compared to the other UWAs you mentioned was rock solid. So maybe you can check that out.

Cheers!

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
PaulKami said:
1 question here regarding UWA,

Any comparison between the Tokina 11-16, Nikon's DX 10-24 F3.5-4.5, and Nikon's DX 12-24 F4?
Of the 3, I favor the Tokina. Personal choice of course.

yfyfyf

Jan 8, 2011
For my case I bought the tokina 11-16 after hearing many good reviews from people who use it.. But the ultimatum was when I read kenrockwell's review.. Although his reviews sometime is a little far fetched, the evidence he provided when compared to the other UWAs you mentioned was rock solid. So maybe you can check that out.

Cheers!
i read already, i also read about the good reviews people gave to it

Of the 3, I favor the Tokina. Personal choice of course.
i have try out both the sigma and tokina, for me now, i too prefer the tokina, will go and buy it over the weekend

Top Bottom