Need help on understanding hyperfocal distance.

bkkoo78

Oct 13, 2010
Hi all, I am a newbie on photography.

Need help on understanding trying to set my lens to focus on Hyperfocal distance.

I read on the following but I still get it..

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html#methods

Anyone can be nice to give a simpler explanation?

Thanks in advance.

Erm... which part you don't get it? :)

To simply put it, hyperfocus distance is basically just an application of the DOF where the selected focusing distance puts the far end of the DOF at (or close to) infinity...

Erm... which part you don't get it? :)

To simply put it, hyperfocus distance is basically just an application of the DOF where the selected focusing distance puts the far end of the DOF at (or close to) infinity...

Oppsss.

I need to understand how to set the lens
"When the lens has a distance scale but doesn't have a depth of field scale"

Confused.. ;(

Ok, so let's start with the basics - to find out the DOF for a particular focusing distance. To do that with the DOF wheel, you first take note of the focusing distance from your lens' distance scale. Then you turn the DOF wheel (one with a focal length corresponding to your lens) to have the marker at the focusing distance. Then you look at the f-stop you want to use, and the DOF is indicated at the distance scale at the outer wheel.

Let's use the 50mm focal length in the DOFMaster example in the link you provided above. Let's say the focusing distance is about 21 feet as in the example. If you want to use f/4, the DOF would be about 16.5 ft - 27.5 ft. The DOF at 16.5 ft is called the "near field" and the 27.5 ft is called the "far field. So far so good?

dofmaster_50mm_scale.gif

Now back to hyperfocal distance. As mentioned in my previous post, hyperfocal distance is just the focusing distance where the far field of the DOF is at infinity. So using the same wheel, we work backward by just putting the desired f-stop mark at infinity for the far field DOF. Then just read off the hyperfocal distance at the focusing marker.

In the example above, the desired f-stop is f/16, that's why you see "16" is set to infinity. The hyperfocal distance is then 21ft as shown by the marker. If you want to use, say, f/11, just turn the wheel till "11" is at infinity, then read the focus distance. :)

Of course nowadays if you own an iPhone or an Android phone, you can just download a DOF app that has hyperfocal function (almost all of them do) and you're set.

Last edited:
Oppsss.

I need to understand how to set the lens
"When the lens has a distance scale but doesn't have a depth of field scale"

Confused.. ;(

You just find out the aperture + distance required, and then turn the focusing ring to that distance.... It is that simple.

Most lenses don't have DOF scales, I think.

Many lens (Canon kit 18-55/135/200) don't have the DOF scale...So it will be more of guesswork to get the DOF (I've yet to reach the stage whereby not knowing the hyperfocal distance affect me that much).

SkyStrike said:
Many lens (Canon kit 18-55/135/200) don't have the DOF scale...So it will be more of guesswork to get the DOF (I've yet to reach the stage whereby not knowing the hyperfocal distance affect me that much).

If you shoot landscape with a close subject within a few metres from you, you will need this.

If you shoot landscape with a close subject within a few metres from you, you will need this.

ic...probably that explains. Most of the shots are at taken f8-11, but I normally focus on the close subject first, then re-compose my shot again.

SkyStrike said:
ic...probably that explains. Most of the shots are at taken f8-11, but I normally focus on the close subject first, then re-compose my shot again.

Hyper focusing requires you to focus "ahead" your subject. I forgot the exact math, but it's something like 1/3 towards yourself and 2/3 into the landscape. When using a UWA, infinity is only like 3m and beyond. I usually affix my subject at about 50cm to 1m ahead of me, then focus at 2m.

Hyper focusing requires you to focus "ahead" your subject. I forgot the exact math, but it's something like 1/3 towards yourself and 2/3 into the landscape. When using a UWA, infinity is only like 3m and beyond. I usually affix my subject at about 50cm to 1m ahead of me, then focus at 2m.

wah, still got math involved ar....I rarely take math calculations into my shots. I find that the "Focus at near, Recompose again" method works better for me (since lesser headache :bsmilie:)

I'll start to worry abt these math calculations if my aperture is anything around f1.8 (+-). Find that f1.8 really requires a certain level of precision to get things sharp in focus...

wah, still got math involved ar....I rarely take math calculations into my shots. I find that the "Focus at near, Recompose again" method works better for me (since lesser headache :bsmilie:)

I'll start to worry abt these math calculations if my aperture is anything around f1.8 (+-). Find that f1.8 really requires a certain level of precision to get things sharp in focus...

Math is an integral part of understanding photography.

It's not too hard. DareDevil123 has a great thread that links to his blog stating all the details you need to know. But seriously, are you looking info for shooting what?

Damn it... After reading so much I still dont get it... I even try hands on and my pictures looks blur... Wow liao. SIAN!!!

Hi all, I am a newbie on photography.

Need help on understanding trying to set my lens to focus on Hyperfocal distance.

I read on the following but I still get it..

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html#methods

Anyone can be nice to give a simpler explanation?

Thanks in advance.

I blogged about this not too long ago. Hope this helps: http://www.photographybyeulee.com/blog/2011/understanding-dof-using-the-scale.

I like this particular app coz it's visual....I'm not advertising the app itself though:)

Most of the time, it's just time for exposure and guesstimation for hyperfocal if I dun have dof calculator for me.

i usually manual focus to ~1 or 2m(depending on lens) ahead of me, min f8 to ensure dof covers till infinity.

Last edited: