Need help on TIFF.

Nikondrian

Jan 15, 2011
As I'm quite new to Nikon Dslr. Still not quite yet grips with Raw shooting, cause everything I shoot JPEG, I notice I've a TIFF option to choose now. Is this some sort of compromise between this two? When exactly should I use it ???

As I'm quite new to Nikon Dslr. Still not quite yet grips with Raw shooting, cause everything I shoot JPEG, I notice I've a TIFF option to choose now. Is this some sort of compromise between this two? When exactly should I use it ???

I feel TIFF file size is quite close to RAW. The only good thing that it has over RAW file is that it's more universally recognise by photo editing software.

Hi, RAW is the data format captured by the camera's image sensor and therefore
represents the true data before in camera processing to jpeg.

TIFF and JPEG are recognised computer graphic formats.TIFF is used by professional
publishing industry as it is a higher quality format compared to jpeg.Technically speaking TIFF is a LOSSLESS format while JPEG is a LOSSY one
which basically means there is no data loss or removed/reduced for TIFF and JPEG
loses data every time you post process and save in image manupulation software
like Adobe Photoshop so there is a degradation of quality each time you PP and save file.

Once highlights,shadow details or data is lost in JPEG,it cannot be recovered in PP.
This is where RAW and TIFF has an advantage when you don't expose correctly
when picture taking by camera.Professional photographers always shoot in RAW or
RAW+JPEG for their bread and butter.Once a moment in time is lost it's lost forever
according to current physics.:)

Last edited:
one eye jack said:
Hi, RAW is the data format captured by the camera's image sensor and therefore
represents the true data before in camera processing to jpeg.

TIFF and JPEG are recognised computer graphic formats.TIFF is used by professional
publishing industry as it is a higher quality format compared to jpeg.Technically speaking TIFF is a LOSSLESS format while JPEG is a LOSSY one
which basically means there is no data loss or removed/reduced for TIFF and JPEG
loses data every time you post process and save in image manupulation software
like Adobe Photoshop so there is a degradation of quality each time you PP and save file.

Once highlights,shadow details or data is lost in JPEG,it cannot be recovered in PP.
This is where RAW and TIFF has an advantage when you don't expose correctly
when picture taking by camera.Professional photographers always shoot in RAW or
RAW+JPEG for their bread and butter.Once a moment in time is lost it's lost forever
according to current physics.:)

Hi thanks it really meant to me for fully understood when exactly I need to use TIFF. ;-) tyvm to all. Correct me if I'm wrong is that only Nikon provide TIFF?? If yes am wondering why only Nikon provide on their Dslr.

Hi thanks it really meant to me for fully understood when exactly I need to use TIFF. ;-) tyvm to all. Correct me if I'm wrong is that only Nikon provide TIFF?? If yes am wondering why only Nikon provide on their Dslr.

what model of Nikon DSLRs are you using currently? i'm not sure about entry-level models... to offer to shoot in TIFF on entry-level DSLRs would kill the buffer instantly. so i'm guessing you're using a D3? or D7000/700?

kei1309 said:
what model of Nikon DSLRs are you using currently? i'm not sure about entry-level models... to offer to shoot in TIFF on entry-level DSLRs would kill the buffer instantly. so i'm guessing you're using a D3? or D7000/700?

Hi thks yr reply u are right I'm using d700 am still quite new and still lots to learn from here CS . Thks ;-)

Hi,This may shed some light for you.Camera companies try to outdo each other for market share so add extras which other brands don't.
The question is will the consumer find it useful or convenient? Some people say they can't see any difference between TIFF and JPEG fine.
You must do your own reasearch and find out what is real TIFF format and how it is processed in software like photoshop.Tiff is just a format,
how it is implemented varies with camera brands meaning the software algorithm (method) ,whether it is efficient,fast etc.One thing to know is
TIFF file is bigger than RAW or JPEG so memory capacity and time to process is a factor and whether it gets in your way of shooting pictures.
It's pros and cons.

://darrellyoung.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-image-format-is-best-for-my.html
PS. My posts are less than fifty so I can't post links.Type in yourself.

one eye jack said:
Hi,This may shed some light for you.Camera companies try to outdo each other for market share so add extras which other brands don't.
The question is will the consumer find it useful or convenient? Some people say they can't see any difference between TIFF and JPEG fine.
You must do your own reasearch and find out what is real TIFF format and how it is processed in software like photoshop.Tiff is just a format,
how it is implemented varies with camera brands meaning the software algorithm (method) ,whether it is efficient,fast etc.One thing to know is
TIFF file is bigger than RAW or JPEG so memory capacity and time to process is a factor and whether it gets in your way of shooting pictures.
It's pros and cons.

://darrellyoung.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-image-format-is-best-for-my.html
PS. My posts are less than fifty so I can't post links.

Thanks that meant a lot... I still need to learn Lots for fully neutralize my gear thks. ;-)

ZerocoolAstra said:
Why do you wanna neutralize your gear? Is it acidic or something? :dunno:
Am sorry for my English not that good. ;-) Sorry for wrong words I'm using. Rushing to work just nw. Send that message while I'm driving..,.right nw stil driving... What I mean is to fully learned, understand and make use of the gear to make a nice picture.... ;-)

Am sorry for my English not that good. ;-) Sorry for wrong words I'm using. Rushing to work just nw. Send that message while I'm driving..,.right nw stil driving... What I mean is to fully learned, understand and make use of the gear to make a nice picture.... ;-)

oh I see :)
Do you mean 'utilize' ?

No need to apologize!

oh I see :)
Do you mean 'utilize' ?

No need to apologize!

i thought auto-correct was at fault :bsmilie:

anyways... it's not necessary to shoot in TIFF. that's only if you are a hard-core, die-die has to have the best quality out of the camera photographer

Ha make me shy ;-) .

kei1309 said:
i thought auto-correct was at fault :bsmilie:

anyways... it's not necessary to shoot in TIFF. that's only if you are a hard-core, die-die has to have the best quality out of the camera photographer

That means they may be saved with higher degree of information like bit depth without any compression?? It may be slow if I take a number of images for quick but is better from a quality of view. Wondering if I'm correct....

That means they may be saved with higher degree of information like bit depth without any compression?? It may be slow if I take a number of images for quick but is better from a quality of view. Wondering if I'm correct....

if you have all the time in the world to get the shot e.g. a studio shoot where you control almost everything, then go ahead.

but if you're shooting an event that requires high frame rate or for the buffer to be clear so you can catch the moment... then it's better not to use it. common sense will tell you that you will miss the shot if your camera's still processing the previous image(s)

kei1309 said:
if you have all the time in the world to get the shot e.g. a studio shoot where you control almost everything, then go ahead.

but if you're shooting an event that requires high frame rate or for the buffer to be clear so you can catch the moment... then it's better not to use it. common sense will tell you that you will miss the shot if your camera's still processing the previous image(s)

Tyvm,your advice. Between, as I prefer to shoot in JPEG to avoid having to convert masses of raw files is there any way of tweaking the white balance?? Thanks in advanced. ;-)

Tyvm,your advice. Between, as I prefer to shoot in JPEG to avoid having to convert masses of raw files is there any way of tweaking the white balance?? Thanks in advanced. ;-)

I would suggest shooting NEF+JPEG to start with. If in case the camera screws up in the JPEG conversion you can always go back to the RAW.

I've a question. Is TIFF a looseless picture that takes in all the in-camera processing settings such as Active-D lighing and vibrance without striping all the unnecessary info like what jpeg does?
If so, I'd rather just shoot RAW. Save space with equal or greater amt of info....

I've a question. Is TIFF a looseless picture that takes in all the in-camera processing settings such as Active-D lighing and vibrance without striping all the unnecessary info like what jpeg does?
If so, I'd rather just shoot RAW. Save space with equal or greater amt of info....

It can be. TIFF format is flexible and can be lossless or lossy. It does have the capacity to be the equivalent of a lossless NEF or it can be slightly better than JPEG. Depends on how it is implemented. I'm clueless about the D700 here. TS, you want to lend me the camera to find out? ;)