Need help on TIFF.

Cowseye said:
I've a question. Is TIFF a looseless picture that takes in all the in-camera processing settings such as Active-D lighing and vibrance without striping all the unnecessary info like what jpeg does?
If so, I'd rather just shoot RAW. Save space with equal or greater amt of info....

But on the plus side, image taken in top-quality JPEG mode are often only about a quarter or a third of the data size of raw files good if you're shooting hundreds of shorts in a day. My only problem white balance is more tricky to adjust in JPEG files..

fmeeran said:
TS, you want to lend me the camera to find out? ;)

;-) good morning to you. Willing to meet up for sharing.. If time allowed for both..

But on the plus side, image taken in top-quality JPEG mode are often only about a quarter or a third of the data size of raw files good if you're shooting hundreds of shorts in a day. My only problem white balance is more tricky to adjust in JPEG files..

You are missing the most important point,besides file size you cannot recover lost highlight and shadow details from a jpeg.If you under or over
expose a frame it is easier to correct from a RAW file because all data is retained but in jpeg's case the in camera processing drops it off.It is really your preference for convenience without the hassle of PP.Like I said before ,how valuable is that moment in time to you and if you are satisfied with jpeg quality.Unless you save the original jpeg and rename the PP one at least you have some reassurance that you can go back to original should you change your mind about the look,perspective,cropping etc.

Last edited:
if u have of memory than use TIFF loh.....file size too big liao

one eye jack said:
You are missing the most important point,besides file size you cannot recover lost highligt and shadow details from a jpeg.If you under or over
expose a frame it is easier to correct from a RAW file because all data is retained but in jpeg's case the in camera processing drops it off.It is really your preference for convenience without the hassle of PP.Like I said before ,how valuable is that moment in time to you and if you are satisfied with jpeg quality.

one eye jack said:
You are missing the most important point,besides file size you cannot recover lost highligt and shadow details from a jpeg.

Thanks, that really change my point of view..would start to shoot NEF+JPEG in future. That's still so much for me to ask and learn from mistake here from CS members. Appreciate your advice. Gt rush for work....cheers. ;-)

Thanks, that really change my point of view..would start to shoot NEF+JPEG in future. That's still so much for me to ask and learn from mistake here from CS members. Appreciate your advice. Gt rush for work....cheers. ;-)

Always rushing to work,mind if I know what occupation you are engaged in? Drive safely....

;-) good morning to you. Willing to meet up for sharing.. If time allowed for both..

:D Btw, just found out about the TIFF files in D700. They use only 8 bit TIFF so it's not much better than the JPEG format while using up insane amount of space. I was hoping they had used 16 bit TIFF. That could have effectively replaced NEF files and been open source.

fmeeran said:
:D Btw, just found out about the TIFF files in D700. They use only 8 bit TIFF so it's not much better than the JPEG format while using up insane amount of space. I was hoping they had used 16 bit TIFF. That could have effectively replaced NEF files and been open source.

Even so, the space required will be doubled effectively. Not worth it with the availability good software that reads raw file.

Even so, the space required will be doubled effectively. Not worth it with the availability good software that reads raw file.

I have a soft corner for TIFF. Been using them extensively at work.
Btw, i'm in science. Bio microscopy.