Need help on this dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRTerrier

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Took a few shots on this pup but it's black fur is making my camera (Fuji S602Z) having problem having proper focus. I tried to focus on it's nose region (where the black and tan lines are more obvious) but it didn't really help. Trying the collar would not be easy as it kept moving about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

fb96c128.jpg

Info:

Camera: Fuji S602Z
Speed: 1/120
F-Stop: 2.8
Mode: Apperture priority
ISO: 400
Time of day: about 6.40pm

what is the focal length ? look like blurness is caused by slow shutter speed ...

try to use wider angle ( e.g. no zoom ) and go closer to your dog.

here is a sample dog shot taken by Olympus C-750

Bluestrike, I was not able to use pre-focus or manual focus as the pup was roaming all over the shop in no particular direction. Maybe I'm still new, but so far I've always failed in using MF on pups. Adult dogs, yes... but never pups. :embrass:

megaweb, I used maximum optical zoom... so that would imply 210mm (or was that 200?). Tried to used wide angle but getting near would scare the pup away. Having to take the shots in the evening, I increased the ISO to 400 so as to have a shutter speed of 1/120. Is this logic flawed?

Originally posted by JRTerrier

megaweb, I used maximum optical zoom... so that would imply 210mm (or was that 200?). Tried to used wide angle but getting near would scare the pup away. Having to take the shots in the evening, I increased the ISO to 400 so as to have a shutter speed of 1/120. Is this logic flawed?

why use wider angle ?
- faster AF
- prefer the wide distortion look :)
- no need faster shutter speed due to shorter focal length

* you just need to practise how to capture it fast

if you want to use zoom like full 6x zoom, got to wait for better lighting or use higher ISO ... your speed have to be 1/200 sec

This dog pic was taken in the evening? background looks daylight to me. Can still get f2.8 even at full zoom? I think megaweb suggestion to use wide is for you to use wide aperture, but since you used f2.8 and 1/200 already, may be the dog is out of focus.
:dunno:

Originally posted by E-Lim
This dog pic was taken in the evening? background looks daylight to me. Can still get f2.8 even at full zoom? I think megaweb suggestion to use wide is for you to use wide aperture, but since you used f2.8 and 1/200 already, may be the dog is out of focus.
:dunno:
I think mega was refering to wide angle instead of wide aperature. Using wide angle usually will increase the AF speed.

It not easy to take moving stuff esp one that jump here and there. Best is to study the subject and then do a guess on what the suubject's next moment!

Wide angle and preferably 1/200 when in full zoom. ok, got it. Thanks guys.

Will keep practising. :D

try closing down your f-stop to f5.6. the shutter speed will be around 1/60 sec. you will have better depth of of field. then focus on the nose bridge.

f2.8 to f5.6 is 2 stop. from your shutter speed 1/200 will become around 1/60.

thing is, it was 1/120 at f2.8, not 1/200. 1/200 was the 'recommended' speed. So techinically, if I move up to f5.6, it'll be less than 1/60. And currently, my hands are not really steady enough for that kind of low speed photo taking. :cry:

don't kill me but...

train the dog lah! :) SIT and STAY are good commands to use.
then don't have so much trouble focusing..

ok, sorry, what i said doesn't help much but.. could resist it.. :bsmilie:

me :kok:

I think f2.8 and fully wide (no zoom) is enuff DOF for a dog for digital camera

here is an example for C750 f2.8 shot of a dog

You shouldn't have much trouble focusing in this level of lighting. Just put the sensor on the edge of the nose and it should focus fine.

I agree with Megaweb that f2.8 has more than sufficient DOF, I shoot wide open on the 602 most of the time.

The most likely problem for this image is handshake.

Thanks for the info, guys. There will be another dog outing at West Coast Dog Run tomorrow & I'll have another practice run with the new guildelines.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.