Need help on Telephoto Zooms here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi just bought a sigma 70-300 from a CSnian...quite impress with the result esp when its onli 200 over bucks
able to get sharp pic after some minor ps...mayb u can consider...

Garion said:
Yes and maybe no. Depends on what type of wildlife you shooting, and how far from the animals you are going to be. For large animals, with a 1.4x TC might be just sufficient. It isn't like a zoo where the animals are really up close to you. Thats why I emphasize longer focal reach is always better.

And yes, I am well aware of the 1.6x crop factor. Just didn't want to include it for simplicity sake, and to avoid confusion.
o ok... hehe... well in africa safari vehicles usually are far away or near the animals? This would give me a guide to what focal lengths that are needed... Thanks

have u considered this old dino: EF 100-300/f5.6 L ? old, cheap, slow AF, but good optics. good for travelling also

Shooting with primes isnt an easy task. If u are out to the safari for the 1st time and use this relatively short tele-prime lens, i doubt u will return with images that satisfy u. The pros out there use expensive primes for thier job and get very good results, but that doesnt mean that anyone out there who gets the same lens will get the same result. You will need tons of experience of wildlife and handling of the camera equipment to utilized it.

Since u got a carving for L lens. You might just want to get a 100-400 L IS and a 1.4X TC + a very good tripod and ballhead for your trip. The IS will sure help if u are not used to shooting using telephoto lens.

MaGixShOe said:
Shooting with primes isnt an easy task. If u are out to the safari for the 1st time and use this relatively short tele-prime lens, i doubt u will return with images that satisfy u. The pros out there use expensive primes for thier job and get very good results, but that doesnt mean that anyone out there who gets the same lens will get the same result. You will need tons of experience of wildlife and handling of the camera equipment to utilized it.

Since u got a carving for L lens. You might just want to get a 100-400 L IS and a 1.4X TC + a very good tripod and ballhead for your trip. The IS will sure help if u are not used to shooting using telephoto lens.
How bout a good tripod? I was thinking along the lines of a Manfrotto 190 base... haven't thought about the head... i saw one nice ball/joystick hybrid from Manfrotto too, can't remember the details but i believe the setup can take the weight... any advice?

nickmak said:
How bout a good tripod? I was thinking along the lines of a Manfrotto 190 base... haven't thought about the head... i saw one nice ball/joystick hybrid from Manfrotto too, can't remember the details but i believe the setup can take the weight... any advice?

If u are using the 100-400 L IS or the 50-500 sigma the least u would want for a tripod would be the 055 series. or if u cant stand the weight then get the carbon fiber one that is equaivlant to the 055 series.

The action grip ballhead u are talking about if i am not wrong, can only take small lens. not for big mamas. for ballhead, if got money get the arcatech, kirk, makins, wimberly. if not the manfrotto 488 series or the 468 should be enough for the lens. but dun say i nv warn u 1st. u must go try the weight of the 055 plus 468 ballhead 1st before buying. not anyone can stand it. not forgetting plus your camera and lens.

ok thanks so much for your help... problem is... i dunno the prices of the tripods so please advise me on an affordable Manfrotto base as I have heard very very good reviews about it and tried it today. It was very very very sturdy and i think it had a ball head. How much is the 055 series?

Thanks

cant really remember how much is it. but it is less than $200 when i bought mine. 055ProB. the silver one or non pro one is cheaper. head down cathay photo at Penisula plaza and have a hands on with your camera and lens

was it with or without the head? Sorry for being ignorant, new to tripods here and i really need a good one. I live in Bangkok so I have to sort of find a comparison in places like s'pore so if there are any more prices please let me know. Thanks! Also I was wondering how much do you reckon can I get from selling my 300D with battery grip and 2 batteries all at 9.9/10 condition for?

nickmak said:
was it with or without the head? Sorry for being ignorant, new to tripods here and i really need a good one. I live in Bangkok so I have to sort of find a comparison in places like s'pore so if there are any more prices please let me know. Thanks! Also I was wondering how much do you reckon can I get from selling my 300D with battery grip and 2 batteries all at 9.9/10 condition for?

Its w/o the head. Price of ur cam i not sure. better not anyhow quote u.

o ok.. thanks anyway, cuz (as i put in another thread) i might want to move up to a 10D... or a used 1D which i tried and love now... i want to trade it in and want to get another camera but i was stopped because someone warned me that i may be gonna be ripped off... so just asking for opinion here... thanks!

nickmak said:

hehe, considering that you are partial to 'Luxury' stuff, have you thought about springing for a Gitzo? :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.