Need help on shooting event

zoom zoom

Sep 20, 2011
Hi ,

Need some help for deciding on what gear to get for simple event shoot.

Ask by a relative to shoot an simple opening ceremony for a company . about 30 to 40 ppl including VIP. Office and lab environment. (fluorescent overhead lights)

Lunch buffets , ribbon cutting , inspection of facility, etc. (3 hous)

Equipment I have

A55 ,Nex 6 ,70300g,Laea2 , and a few non pro lenes.

I have not done any commercial shoot and dont intend to do it but have been shooting kids ,pets, family birthday and funerals ,and travel.

I understand and using A,S,M , AEL , Lighting compensation ,DOF,etc

Cannot decide btwn buying
1)1650f2.8 or 1670f4 for the main usage.
2) will a flash really help?

How to seek some advice. Thank you.

Hmmm... Unless...
1) You were already going to get those lenses anyway for your own use
2) Your relative is sponsoring the lenses or paying you
3) You are independently wealthy
... I actually wouldn't fork a cent out of my own pocket as you're already putting in time, effort and existing gear. :)

Consider renting and passing on the cost of rental of any additional equipment you may require to your relative.

A 'simple event shoot' can be covered with a kit non-pro 18-55. Yeah, a flash would be really helpful (only if you know what to do with it though). Sit down for a chat with your relative to make sure you both have similar expectations so that you know what to deliver — Look through other people's portfolios together for the type of event photos he/she is looking for (and that you know you are capable of taking).

You need to use the gears which you most familar with, get new gears to shoot something you have done before is to risky.

Anyway this thread does not belong here.
Thread moved.

Fyi, entry level dslr with kit lens and hotshoe flash able to a decent job, that is all you need for this moment, you need the skills more then the gears.

Guess most likely you be doing it for free? Just use what you have, unless maybe you want to use the event as a excuse to buy lens/gear that you also wanted to get. :)
A flash is useful if you know how to use it.

Thanks all for the quick response.

I did just did an on location environmental portrait for 7 of them and some abstract product shoot. They like it.

I'll be getting $400 for everything. Since its paid I think I have to do a ok to decent job.

Guess I'll be getting flash to get use to for more challenging situation .

What I really cant decide is btwn the 1650F2.8 or the 1670cz . I sold my 1750f2.8 (which I m very fond of) before I was approached .

just wonder is there a great diff btwn F2.8 and F4 ?

Yes will sit down and discuss with the company.

Will shoot close up details, the setup , Vip with logo / product/brand, location , vip speech with audience, ribbon cutting etc

Thank you for all the reply.:)

BTW yes excuse to BBB:bsmilie: