Need help on SB-600 problem (Battery corrosion)

creation

Jul 8, 2009
Dear ClubSnap ers,
Currently I got problem with my SB-600, the battery was leak and I just know it yesterday when I will use it. It has been quite long time not to use my Sb-600. I tried to open / disassemble my Sb-600 and I found that power panel was heavily impacted by corrosion. This morning I've called Nikon Service centre and asked whether they sell spare part only and they answer not selling spare part, they give me rough estimation around $205. Quite expensive for me.
Is there any of you know where I can buy this power panel for Nikon SB-600? Or maybe anyone can give me some recommendation 3rd party service centre ?
Thanks in advance

If it's only the battery door you're looking for, perhaps search from ebay. At least I found one for $20+ after adding shipping.

Nop, the mechanical everything is ok, but the impacted is on Power PCB. Actually I haven't tried to clean the PCB using alcohol / thinner but as I see the condition is very bad so that's why I decide to find the replacement power PCB

Try contacting the battery manufacturer and ask them for advice since you are using their battery.

Dear ClubSnap ers,
Currently I got problem with my SB-600, the battery was leak and I just know it yesterday when I will use it. It has been quite long time not to use my Sb-600. I tried to open / disassemble my Sb-600 and I found that power panel was heavily impacted by corrosion. This morning I've called Nikon Service centre and asked whether they sell spare part only and they answer not selling spare part, they give me rough estimation around $205. Quite expensive for me.
Is there any of you know where I can buy this power panel for Nikon SB-600? Or maybe anyone can give me some recommendation 3rd party service centre ?
Thanks in advance

Nop, the mechanical everything is ok, but the impacted is on Power PCB. Actually I haven't tried to clean the PCB using alcohol / thinner but as I see the condition is very bad so that's why I decide to find the replacement power PCB
replacing a PCB is not cheap.
at that price, it will be much wiser to just get a used SB600.

Buying the power panel ( I suppose it's the charging PCB) alone from overseas will cost around $110, plus shipping, plus battery cover, plus unexpected damaged part...

Thanks for the response,
Ehmm if the repair cost is quite expensive then just leave it like this then buy 2nd hand or new SB-600
I'll try first to get the spare part, then let's see how next

You can try cleaning it with baking soda and water to neutralize the battery acid otherwise it will not stop the corrosion. Search the internet for some cleaning tips on battery leaks.

TS u never took out batteries when not in use?