NEED HELP: On purchasing a decent camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchiharay

Sep 25, 2009
East...
Hi All,

I'm looking for a decent camera with pretty decent specifications, here are some details of my budget etc,:-

Budget: About $500<
Use: mainly for photography on scenary and food

Wants:-
- pretty good macro (for closeups)
- wide shots
- good night shots
- at least 5X zoom
- image stabilizer
- not too complex in controls

Hope to have some suggestions on which brands and model. Always used phone to take photos, never had a camera, desperately need advices! ^^

I thought Fujifilm F70 will be good, IMO.
:)

Hi, for that kind of versatility, a Canon IXUS 110 IS. http://www.canon.com.sg/p/EN/1-Digital-Cameras/3-IXUS/841-Digital-IXUS-110-IS/

While it doesn't have the 5x (only 4x) zoom, it has everything else you specified. Also has excellent low light performance and good video. Simple to use as well. I'm a nikon DSLR guy, but for compacts I'd definitely go for an IXUS

mm yes, was a bit hasty. agree with octarine. dpreview will give you a lot more info to fit your exact needs :)

Thanks all for the advice and useful links, will take a look and consider my choices ^^

what about Fuji F200EXR

sorry to ride along this thread...

i'm also looking for a new cam. has been using panasonic fx1 for almost 5yrs. occasionally borrow my sis's fx3 (primarily due to better battery life cos mine already cmi). now thinking of getting a new one before our bali trip next month.

my requirements are about the same as TS's... in particular good night shots and wide lens (are all using wide lens now?).

i really noob at this so i just basing on budget first. my impression for a decent-enuff cam is around $500 (that's what my fx1 cost last time, and around what my sis's fx3 cost too). that day just briefly walked 1 round in courts and saw this Canon IXUS 110 IS and Panasonic FX25, both for $400+. tried dpreview but can't seem to find the fx25, and the ixus 110 reviews seem quite vague?

anyway, i'm only looking at canon or panasonic, not particularly interested in other brands unless there's a compelling reason to. here's my queries:

which would be the better cam between ixus 110 and fx25?

are there any other worthy models to consider for these 2 brands? (these 2 seem to be already the most expensive on display when i was in courts).

ohya another thing is, i'm more of looking for those p&s type... not those can attach this n that accessory and such one. appreciate all your advice! :)

my requirements are about the same as TS's... in particular good night shots and wide lens (are all using wide lens now?).

Panasonic LX3?

Not only now, also before. The question is how wide these lenses are. Take note of the 35mm equivalent numbers, forget about zoom factors. In 35mm equivalent numbers the smaller numbers will be wider, e.g. 24mm is wider than 28mm; 50mm being about 'normal' view and all numbers above (e.g. 80mm) are telephoto range. Longer zoom ranges (difference between shortest and longest focal length) are always a challenge to lens design and compromises are made in image quality (corner sharpness, distortion).

sorry to ride along this thread...

i'm also looking for a new cam. has been using panasonic fx1 for almost 5yrs. occasionally borrow my sis's fx3 (primarily due to better battery life cos mine already cmi). now thinking of getting a new one before our bali trip next month.

i really noob at this so i just basing on budget first. my impression for a decent-enuff cam is around $500 (that's what my fx1 cost last time, and around what my sis's fx3 cost too). that day just briefly walked 1 round in courts and saw this Canon IXUS 110 IS and Panasonic FX25, both for $400+. tried dpreview but can't seem to find the fx25, and the ixus 110 reviews seem quite vague?

anyway, i'm only looking at canon or panasonic, not particularly interested in other brands unless there's a compelling reason to. here's my queries:

which would be the better cam between ixus 110 and fx25?

are there any other worthy models to consider for these 2 brands? (these 2 seem to be already the most expensive on display when i was in courts).

ohya another thing is, i'm more of looking for those p&s type... not those can attach this n that accessory and such one. appreciate all your advice! :)

No problem, can learn together :p

Thanks all for the advices.. looking at a few cameras now.. heard F200EXR is good too..

Although zoom is more limited, the Panasonic Lumix LX3 takes the cake IMHO. LX3 has been on the top on my list for a long time now, and it is still up there. God knows why I still haven't bought it till now...

haha... i chop chop mission... ytd read a few reviews of FX48 and 120IS... realise the spec differences may not mean much to me after all (especially the ISO numbers). after all i've been using the FX1 which is far far away from these 2 anyway. general sentiment for the 120IS is better i feel. so evening went amk for dinner and after that go ms color. was already more inclined to the 120IS but still attracted to the FX48 by the specs. but thinking about it, i also thought that it's getting a bit boring to look at the same thing again... as in the case design is almost identical to my sis's FX3, which means it's still following the same line of design as my 5yr old FX1! once my wife saw it, immediately say boring also lol... so i guess the choice was clear. so bought the 120IS blue color.

i gotta keep reminding myself that i'm not at the same level as many of you guys... as in i dun start nitpicking on whether ISO 400 is more grainy or 800 more grainy, or color a bit vibrant or whatever la... i dun even know what all those parameters mean! i only play with flash or no flash, and white balance haha... so i believe with either one i will also be happy liao. so the canon would be a more refreshing change.

btw when i was there, there were at least about 3 customers getting LX3. i played with it for awhile... errr... ok la size is still not too big (although it's oversized for my intention) but then it looks like a typical old man cam (those SLRs haha) and price is way off my intended budget so i didn't give it a 2nd thought.

Last edited:
btw when i was there, there were at least about 3 customers getting LX3. i played with it for awhile... errr... ok la size is still not too big (although it's oversized for my intention) but then it looks like a typical old man cam (those SLRs haha) and price is way off my intended budget so i didn't give it a 2nd thought.

LX3 advantages are many: The LX3 comes with lens with 24mm at the wide end. This is very wide. The biggest aperture is f/2.0 enabling you to take shots in lower light, as well as giving you more blur in the background. LX3 also have a slightly bigger sensor, which translate to less noise. LX3 also sports M A S P modes for shooting, thus is very flexible for people who want control over their pictures. And lastly, the LX3 take excellent beautiful pictures.

All in all, from your post, it seems LX3 is not the camera for you. LX3 is perfect for people who are more into photography and would like a better and more customizable camera than your normal run-of-the-mill PnS. A lot of people who got the LX3 are actually DSLR owners, using it as their compact backup.

Last edited:
Another alternative is the soon to be launch Canon S90, going head to head with LX3. ;)

LX3 advantages are many: The LX3 comes with lens with 24mm at the wide end. This is very wide. The biggest aperture is f/2.0 enabling you to take shots in lower light, as well as giving you more blur in the background. LX3 also have a slightly bigger sensor, which translate to less noise. LX3 also sports M A S P modes for shooting, thus is very flexible for people who want control over their pictures. And lastly, the LX3 take excellent beautiful pictures.

All in all, from your post, it seems LX3 is not the camera for you. LX3 is perfect for people who are more into photography and would like a better and more customizable camera than your normal run-of-the-mill PnS. A lot of people who got the LX3 are actually DSLR owners, using it as their compact backup.

ya i guess u got it right. convenient p&s is the main objective now... good for taking pics during tour. my wife dun really like me to be engrossed in taking scenery pics WITHOUT PEOPLE (ourselves) and leaving her standing around waiting, so even if i have all the barang barang, she will get impatient :bsmilie:

before the FX1, i was using canon A40 with some lens accessories (bought 2nd hand as a set from another guy). was quite excited about photography and a little bit of playable stuff (lens) and was looking forward to learn. then, end up i've not brought any of the adapter/lens out of my home even once until i sold it off after ~1yr :bsmilie: it has always been point n shoot :embrass:

MS color any good promo on F200EXR? Or anybody noes if Fuji coming out a newer version of F200? seems that the rave for F200 is pretty hot.. even till now..

My Lumix TZ7 has served me well...

Remember to take a look in the CS BNS section for better pricing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.