Need HELP on Panasonic FX1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakk0

Mar 17, 2004
HI Guys,

I'm very unhappy with the charging mode of the FX1 digital camera. The battery will not be charged if the DC cable is insert. :cry: :(
Wat a sad thing to cry here...

I cant charge the battery neither inside the camera or the battery in the battery charger when i power up the camera using DC. :angry: I connected the power supply cord to the battery charger in order to charge the battery. The charge LED lighted up. :thumbsup: To power up the camera, i connected the DC cable to battery charger and camera. GUESS WAT! Battery stopped charging !! The next thing, the DC does not charge the battery inside the camera. :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Anyone here have any idea, how to modify the power charger to bypass the charging circuit so that it can power up the camera... Thanks advance :)

Nope, I dun one this model, but if you manage to get it running, can you pls share with me the performace of the camera? My friend intend to buy one at the IT Show initially, but chose a A70 in the end

Ice said:
Nope, I dun one this model, but if you manage to get it running, can you pls share with me the performace of the camera? My friend intend to buy one at the IT Show initially, but chose a A70 in the end

WHAT I LIKE:
1. The stablizer really work. :D Tried out while driving.
2. Light and handy with the beautiful semi-hard case
3. Love the rotating menu (same as A70 but on front)
4. Free 2x 32Mb and 1x 64Mb plus 16Mb package :devil: :)
5. Real time white balance and histogram (COOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )
(meaning it show the effect before taking the picture)
6. Can review picture with a one step (down button)
7. Unlimited movie recording but with one size.

WHAT I DUN LIKE:
1. INSANE charging mode (Panasonic designer, pls look into it. You may think it is cheaper to design one charging circuit but it make a shame of yourself) :nono: :think: :nono: :think:
2. Picture taken is saved straight into the memory card, damm SLOW if you use MMC. STANDARD if you use Slow SD card. FAST if you use fast SD Card.
3. Economy mode turn off monitor in 15 sec. What is 15 sec?? <<monitor off>> nah nah.... it's gone ;(

my 2C...

wakk0 said:
WHAT I LIKE:
1. The stablizer really work. :D Tried out while driving.
2. Light and handy with the beautiful semi-hard case
3. Love the rotating menu (same as A70 but on front)
4. Free 2x 32Mb and 1x 64Mb plus 16Mb package :devil: :)
5. Real time white balance and histogram (COOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )
(meaning it show the effect before taking the picture)
6. Can review picture with a one step (down button)
7. Unlimited movie recording but with one size.

WHAT I DUN LIKE:
1. INSANE charging mode (Panasonic designer, pls look into it. You may think it is cheaper to design one charging circuit but it make a shame of yourself) :nono: :think: :nono: :think:
2. Picture taken is saved straight into the memory card, damm SLOW if you use MMC. STANDARD if you use Slow SD card. FAST if you use fast SD Card.
3. Economy mode turn off monitor in 15 sec. What is 15 sec?? <<monitor off>> nah nah.... it's gone ;(

my 2C...

Hmm the stablizer really works, cool. I wanted to try out the stablizer function at the show the other day, however did not really have the chance to. But i think the price is a bit on the high side cos with $600++, yuo can get yourself one with a higher mega pxel one with other brand.

What you mean by the picture is stored staighted into the memory card? I thought all camera store their picture into the memeory card after taking a shot?

Is there ways to set the economy mode to a longer time? 15 sec is really too little

Ice said:
Hmm the stablizer really works, cool. I wanted to try out the stablizer function at the show the other day, however did not really have the chance to. But i think the price is a bit on the high side cos with $600++, yuo can get yourself one with a higher mega pxel one with other brand.

What you mean by the picture is stored staighted into the memory card? I thought all camera store their picture into the memeory card after taking a shot?

Is there ways to set the economy mode to a longer time? 15 sec is really too little

With the goodies, I think it is a good buy. The goodies were priced at $350 so the camera only cost $300. ;) :thumbsup: And the goodies are something that i will use. Unlike some brand, backpack and trolley bag are giving away.

Panasonic goodies are: lens cleaner, semi-hard bag, 2x 32Mb, 1x 64Mb, 7in1 card reader, small tripod, extra battery and a dry box.

Some camera has a memory buffer that help to shorten the shot to shot timing. Of course the camera come with a higher price. :sweatsm: :D

The economy come with ON and OFF mode. Cant set the timing.. :devil: ;(

Anyone here can help me on the battery charger ??? Damm desperate liao.

wakk0 said:
With the goodies, I think it is a good buy. The goodies were priced at $350 so the camera only cost $300. ;) :thumbsup: And the goodies are something that i will use. Unlike some brand, backpack and trolley bag are giving away.

Panasonic goodies are: lens cleaner, semi-hard bag, 2x 32Mb, 1x 64Mb, 7in1 card reader, small tripod, extra battery and a dry box.

Some camera has a memory buffer that help to shorten the shot to shot timing. Of course the camera come with a higher price. :sweatsm: :D

The economy come with ON and OFF mode. Cant set the timing.. :devil: ;(

Hi, what about the night shots, any problem focusing? and were they clear? i was wondering if you have thought of getting nikon 3700 or ixus II.. could you share why you got FX1 instead?

asphyx said:
Hi, what about the night shots, any problem focusing? and were they clear? i was wondering if you have thought of getting nikon 3700 or ixus II.. could you share why you got FX1 instead?

I just took some night spots scene at Labordor Park. :cool: They were just fine. The exposure +2 set at ISO Sensivity 400 and Auto bracket -2, 0, +2 are capable to capture the detail in the night. :thumbsup:

My initial choices are Canon A70 and Nikon 3700. IXUS II is out due to 2x opitcal zoom and low battery life. Nikon 3700 has no rotating dial mode like canon A70 and Pan FX1 which i think it is important in the user mode. It taken more steps to set from Portrait to Landscape, then to Macro. But i love the macro AF at 4cm. :thumbsup: Nikon 3700 and Pan FX1 have a close fight. :sweat:

park1

park2

park3

wakk0 said:

I just love the OIS...just amazing...:cheergal:

Can someone explain the charger prob? I don't seem to have any problems with mine...

wakk0 said:
I just took some night spots scene at Labordor Park. :cool: They were just fine. The exposure +2 set at ISO Sensivity 400 and Auto bracket -2, 0, +2 are capable to capture the detail in the night. :thumbsup:

My initial choices are Canon A70 and Nikon 3700. IXUS II is out due to 2x opitcal zoom and low battery life. Nikon 3700 has no rotating dial mode like canon A70 and Pan FX1 which i think it is important in the user mode. It taken more steps to set from Portrait to Landscape, then to Macro. But i love the macro AF at 4cm. :thumbsup: Nikon 3700 and Pan FX1 have a close fight. :sweat:

park1

park2

park3

I Agree it's a close fight, but 3700 won me over.

Was deciding between FX1 and 3700 at the IT show. For freebies wise, FX1 looks more attractively on the surface, but not really so. With 2x32 + 64Mb cards, the movies' length are really limited to the card size. Dun really like bits and pieces of small size cards. Skali lose or spoil them while carrying around. 3700 giving away a single 128 MB card, and I added $50 to change to a 256MB card. Worth it.. 3700 also giving away additional card reader on the last day, and 50% discount for extra original battery. [One thing to note is: do you really believe the $ value of freebies quoted on the flyers? I think it's bullsh*t.. Hahaha]

Yup, OIS is nice to have, plus manual ISO settings compared to 3700. But 3700 is really user friendly, as I tried out for the last few weeks. Picture quality, IMHO and fren's also, are BETTER than panasonic [think Nikon :)]. Price wise, 3700 is also cheaper..

The thing that I dislike abt 3700 are the flaws in the build. Read my comments in the Nikon forum.

IIIUSION said:
I just love the OIS...just amazing...:cheergal:

Can someone explain the charger prob? I don't seem to have any problems with mine...

When you charge your battery, you cant power up the camera. In a typical usage, it is good to have charging while power up the camera. The worst part of it is, if you forgot to pluck out the DC cable after you decided not to power up the camera, the battery is still not charged at all. :nono: :dunno: :cry:

Check your PM.

crrabb said:
I Agree it's a close fight, but 3700 won me over.

Was deciding between FX1 and 3700 at the IT show. For freebies wise, FX1 looks more attractively on the surface, but not really so. With 2x32 + 64Mb cards, the movies' length are really limited to the card size. Dun really like bits and pieces of small size cards. Skali lose or spoil them while carrying around. 3700 giving away a single 128 MB card, and I added $50 to change to a 256MB card. Worth it.. 3700 also giving away additional card reader on the last day, and 50% discount for extra original battery. [One thing to note is: do you really believe the $ value of freebies quoted on the flyers? I think it's bullsh*t.. Hahaha]

Yup, OIS is nice to have, plus manual ISO settings compared to 3700. But 3700 is really user friendly, as I tried out for the last few weeks. Picture quality, IMHO and fren's also, are BETTER than panasonic [think Nikon :)]. Price wise, 3700 is also cheaper..

The thing that I dislike abt 3700 are the flaws in the build. Read my comments in the Nikon forum.

Can you write the link down... thanks :p .

Is your 256Mb panasonic?? 10Mb/s?? I also don't like the idea of having too many cards in my pocket and been looking around for a 256Mb Pana SD card. The $ in the flyers is purposely made for marketing only, guess i fallen into it. ;) :) but i did check for the price for the battery and a total 128Mb SD cards. By and large, i think it is still a good price. I cant agree 3700 has a better macro and slimmer body. Quote a example on the user interface, pls.

wakk0 said:
Can you write the link down... thanks :p .

Is your 256Mb panasonic?? 10Mb/s?? I also don't like the idea of having too many cards in my pocket and been looking around for a 256Mb Pana SD card. The $ in the flyers is purposely made for marketing only, guess i fallen into it. ;) :) but i did check for the price for the battery and a total 128Mb SD cards. By and large, i think it is still a good price. I cant agree 3700 has a better macro and slimmer body. Quote a example on the user interface, pls.

Here's the link: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=66024

Mine is 256MB Lexar SD card. Dint really research on the cards, but according to the specs, it can perform up to 10MB/s and is made in Japan :cool: .

As for the user interface, I like the simple way of presenting the options. There are at most 3 or 4 options displayed on screen with boxes, so the screen is not too cluttered. In each of the modes, either shooting, playback, movie mode etc, clicking on the menu button will bring me to the relevant menu for that particular mode. The screen will also display the current settings, as well as what are the available actions for this mode, and the button to press.

The multi-selector is easy to use too. The LCD screen has a very high definition, the pictures are presented are clearer, plus you don't get to see motion blur on the LCD screen when you move the camera in shooting mode.

Kudos for the UI :thumbsup: but :thumbsd: for the build..

I cant go into the link..

U hv other brand SD card?? You shd try them out to see which brand is better in saving the picture in the shortest time.

wakk0 said:
I cant go into the link..

U hv other brand SD card?? You shd try them out to see which brand is better in saving the picture in the shortest time.

Oh. Perhaps you can clink on my name and search for the thread. Shld be easy to find it since I hvn't posted a lot of stuff :D

As for the SD card, this is my first one, and friends are mostly using CF cards. Well, I'll have to stick with this Lexar card even if it's is not among the most performing of all. No $$$ to upgrade for the moment..

how does the OIS work?? couldn't get it to work properly..

starz_86 said:
how does the OIS work?? couldn't get it to work properly..

My OIS worked fine. What do you mean by not working properly? can describe... ;)

even though i turned the OIS on, the pix still turned out blur when i shook the cam!

starz_86 said:
even though i turned the OIS on, the pix still turned out blur when i shook the cam!

There is a limited movement/angle that OIS can compensate. Firstly, to test if it is working, try shooting at a bouncing ball. (test by my fren) Secondly, try to shoot while driving (test by me). Of course not you are driving.. :nono: :D

wakk0 said:
There is a limited movement/angle that OIS can compensate. Firstly, to test if it is working, try shooting at a bouncing ball. (test by my fren) ...

I don't understand. Why shoot a bouncing ball to test if the OIS is working? Image stabilization does not affect the movement of the subject.

Convoy said:
I don't understand. Why shoot a bouncing ball to test if the OIS is working? Image stabilization does not affect the movement of the subject.

You try to follow the ball mah.. :D ;) tested by my fren

Status
Not open for further replies.