Need help on my first DSLR, urgent.

SamTac

Jul 19, 2007
Hi all,

I will be getting my new Canon 550D body only by this weekend. I wish to have a len that can zoom from far to near when i travel.

Should i go for Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM or Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF)?

Should I buy from MS color or Alan Photo?

The reason why I want to buy 18mm - 250mm is because one len can use multi purposes which I think of (maybe wrong). I am very new to DSLR so need expert to assist me.

Best regards,
Samson.

Hi all,

I will be getting my new Canon 550D body only by this weekend. I wish to have a len that can zoom from far to near when i travel.

Should i go for Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM or Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF)?

Should I buy from MS color or Alan Photo?

The reason why I want to buy 18mm - 250mm is because one len can use multi purposes which I think of (maybe wrong). I am very new to DSLR so need expert to assist me.

Best regards,
Samson.

You can read reviews online comparing these 2 lenses, personally i'm using the 18-270 and i found it to be great:)

As for which shop you want to buy from, why don't you give the 2 shops or if you can, a few more shops a call and ask for a quote before going down?

i don't own both of the lens so i cannot tell you how i feel, i just cannot compromise for IQ, but i have friend that use tamron 18-270mm and happy with it, i think most of the people here in CS will also recomend u the tamron over the sigma as long as some reviews on the net(if u do ur research and i doubt u do), about shop both alan photo and MS color is both reputable local shop so u should be fine purchasing from both

ps: if u can get them to let u test both lens, i suggest u try it first cos those 2 lens don't come cheap :D

I have a fairly decent experience with the Tamron, although I canot comment on the Nikon.

As mentioned, we have reviews and comments everywhere, so be sure to take a look. In addition, you may have the benefit of testing the lens at the store. But of course, never take that as an entitlement.

Rent the lens or try out at a nice shop.

To be very frank, I dont believe there are going to be many people with experience with both lenses. This forum seems to advocate the tamron, I doubt you can find much useful opinion on the sigma anyway.

Try google fredmiranda.com, or pixel-peepers.com.
The first has many comments, the second has many sample pictures.

Then go to Adorama.com and B&H website.
Both are reputable camera stores with a huge online presence. More importantly, both lenses will have users/buyers giving their 2c worth.

Personally I would suggest don't rush. Nothing wrong going with a kit lens (18-55mm). Get used to changing lenses, and the 55-250mm becomes a nice cheap alternative :D

Happy shopping !!

Rent the lens or try out at a nice shop.

To be very frank, I dont believe there are going to be many people with experience with both lenses. This forum seems to advocate the tamron, I doubt you can find much useful opinion on the sigma anyway.

Try google fredmiranda.com, or pixel-peepers.com.
The first has many comments, the second has many sample pictures.

Then go to Adorama.com and B&H website.
Both are reputable camera stores with a huge online presence. More importantly, both lenses will have users/buyers giving their 2c worth.

Personally I would suggest don't rush. Nothing wrong going with a kit lens (18-55mm). Get used to changing lenses, and the 55-250mm becomes a nice cheap alternative :D

Happy shopping !!

Totally agree about not rushing but instead getting a 18-55 kit lens and learning how to use a DSLR first.

first of all, welcome to CS . . . :)

no harm going to both shops to try out both the lens as it is not cheap. it is you who are handling it and not others. alternatively you may wish to loan out both to actually try it outside.

Cheers, hope you get your toy soon.

don't forget to shoot more cos digital is FREE !!!

and post your travelling photos here so that we can enjoy your trip too. :D

Wow. U joined 3 years and this is your 1st post. Welcome:)

convenience versus IQ...

the scale will tip to one side... you have to weigh which side you need more...

and yup.. think carefully whether you need it to tip to convenience side, or to IQ side..

Anyway, what is IQ?

One more question please, should I go for Canon 550D or Nikon D90?

Now I confuse liao..........

Pls give me more advices, thank you.

Best regards.

Anyway, what is IQ?
Image quality, consist of details like sharpness, lens resolution, distortions, Chromatic Aberrations .. read the reviews and you will see.
One more question please, should I go for Canon 550D or Nikon D90?
That's entirely your call and should only be answered by you. You will be paying the money and using the cam, not us. Compare the specs and features, decide what you need (and NOT: what you might need maybe, what you find attractive / cool / whatnot), then go the shops and try hands on how both cameras feel in your hand.

those 2 can take photo...

what's ur problem?

For me,

D90 is about 1.5 yrs old model,
550D is about 6 months old model.

Read reviews stated that D90 can perform better IQ but 550D has so called newer technology.

Best regards.

For me,

Read reviews stated that D90 can perform better IQ but 550D has so called newer technology.

Best regards.

so do you buy a classic car that can perform better or do you buy a newer model car with techy features?

D90 "kinda" semi-pro level, 550d is entry level, if u like more control take D90 if u're afraid to much button and interactive dial on ur camera body take 550D, weight wise only difference by 100-150 gr :D

For me,

Best regards.
If u think D90 is not good enough for u because it's "1.5 years old model", then go for canon 550D..simple..

u should know, any cam can take a pict..

To TS
whichever you buy its going to be a big amount of $$$

I have always advocated buying the one which fits your hand better. Since you will be the one that is carrying the camera and using it to shoot. No point buying XXX camera that the world says is good but feels too hard / too small / too heavy / too big in your own hands ... I shoot with a canon 450d because its small enough for my small hands, even though personally I think the image quality from nikon / panasonic / olympus / pentax are all great !!

End of day its your $$ , we cant teach you how to spend it... unless you want to give some to me ??? :angel:

Hi some enquiry on D90. i realise that D90 ISO the lower only can go to 200 why is that so ?? as cos D90 consider a Semi-pro camera it specs should be better what ??

Hi some enquiry on D90. i realise that D90 ISO the lower only can go to 200 why is that so ?? as cos D90 consider a Semi-pro camera it specs should be better what ??

read ur manual 1st...

as cos D90 consider a Semi-pro camera it specs should be better what ??

even if u own d3s, it wont help u taking better pict..

read manual or use google.... simple :)