need help on how to protect camera in winter time (i'm going to japan in a wk time)

dogueville

Apr 23, 2007
hello everyone . i just bought my micro 4/3 camera which is the gf3. I wanna bring to osaka which is very cold now. I'm afraid that my camera might be damaged in some way because of the freezing cold. Is there something i must buy to contain the camera to prevent the lens or camera from being damaged?

sorry for noob question.

tk u in advance

hello everyone . i just bought my micro 4/3 camera which is the gf3. I wanna bring to osaka which is very cold now. I'm afraid that my camera might be damaged in some way because of the freezing cold. Is there something i must buy to contain the camera to prevent the lens or camera from being damaged?

sorry for noob question.

tk u in advance

I think your camera is tougher than you, especially with regards to temperature.
If you can survive, I'm sure it will too! ;)

It has often been reported that battery life is reduced in cold temperatures, so perhaps bring spares if you have.
I think that's about it. Be careful you don't get frozen fingers whilst photographing :)

It'll be fine.

Read the sticky threads, they are there for a purpose: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/general-tech-talk/615253-problems-dslr-extremely-cold-weather.html
Keep in mind your camera was either designed in Japan or is even Made in Japan - would Japanese engineers develop something that cannot be used in a normal Japanese Winter? Whatever you consider as 'very cold' is quite normal for Japanese people, and they still take pictures.

Last edited:
Your camera is not made of tofu. Just apply some common sense. You don't see reports all over all the photography forums about cameras dying every winter, right?

The only thing you will see is Singaporeans asking how to protect and mollycuddle their tofu cameras, and everyone else living in those cold countries wondering what on earth the singaporeans are doing.

i'm just curiuos..wldn't it condense or something like that when i am outside and when i go into my room which is warmer..or a restaurant which is not so cold?sorry for silly qn

dogueville said:
i'm just curiuos..wldn't it condense or something like that when i am outside and when i go into my room which is warmer..or a restaurant which is not so cold?sorry for silly qn

Condensation affects every object given the appropriate physical conditions, not just cameras. Think abt what makes a canned drink "sweat" when you take it out of the fridge.

Yes, but that also assumes the warmer room has a high level of humidity. In Winter, even indoors can be very very dry. Also, condensation is no biggie really, it clears up on its own.

Yeah don't worry. It is built like a tank :D

Octarine said:
Read the sticky threads, they are there for a purpose: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/general-tech-talk/615253-problems-dslr-extremely-cold-weather.html
Keep in mind your camera was either designed in Japan or is even Made in Japan - would Japanese engineers develop something that cannot be used in a normal Japanese Winter? Whatever you consider as 'very cold' is quite normal for Japanese people, and they still take pictures.

yea.. i bet this never occured to many (myself included) until u mention it..

Dosent matter dont worry.. it will work..Do you think they will make something only to let it dont work or damge in winter? They are designed to take the abuse of the cold weather...
Unless you want the company to come out a camera that says

Winter sealed then you will be convinced?

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
Well, we've learned by now that newbies ignore the stickies that are placed especially for them...

true, but not sure why.. lazy to plough through all the replies n comments in the same thread, which may be some 7-9 pages worth?

true, but not sure why.. lazy to plough through all the replies n comments in the same thread, which may be some 7-9 pages worth?
I'd rather happily dig through all these postings than to wait for answers and embarrass myself by asking a question that is answered just 2 clicks away .. By reading old threads one can pick up so many details left and right, follow links etc .. it's much more worth the time than dropping a question and waiting for replies..

Octarine said:
I'd rather happily dig through all these postings than to wait for answers and embarrass myself by asking a question that is answered just 2 clicks away .. By reading old threads one can pick up so many details left and right, follow links etc .. it's much more worth the time than dropping a question and waiting for replies..

N get scolded for asking smth that has been asked before..

unless i google n searched but still missed the answer that's there..

have we ot-ed?

dogueville said:

sorry for noob question.

tk u in advance

Damm funny. Camera made by japanese company and owner is scared that it cannot take the japan winter......

Put 2-3 fully charged batteries in your bag.

As for condensation, I made sure I put my camera into my camera bag before entering indoors. When I was really lazy, I just put on the lens cap, so as to prevent direct contact with more humid air.