Need help on HDR Photography.

castleon

Jan 16, 2012
Hi all,

I'm a D700 user and I not sure if this is the thread to post.
Im planning a shoot on model with landscape and create HDR photograph. I wonder what are the setting I need to do on my remote flash.

My bracketing setting are 1 stop interval with 5 frame.

Scenario
Sunset at the most rear from my view
Small island or huge rocks mid of my view
Model front of my view.

Sunset is the most high exposure
From naked eye island or rock are clear
Only model are some how abit dark.

I have tried before shooting at small aperture to get a landscape of sunset with high power flash on model to bring a balance lighting.

Question to create HDR
What are the solution setting on flash?
Do I set at multi?
Use constant light?
Do I set at rear shutter?
Or do I need the model to stay still and continue fire at slow rate in order for flash to recharge?

Thanks and Best Regard
Leon

Last edited:
Just do a properly exposed shot of your model, tell the model to move away, then shoot the landscape in HDR? In photoshop just have to put the model at top layer. Correct me if I'm wrong. Never tried before but that's how I'd do it

seezhijie said:
Just do a properly exposed shot of your model, tell the model to move away, then shoot the landscape in HDR? In photoshop just have to put the model at top layer. Correct me if I'm wrong. Never tried before but that's how I'd do it

If lower the opacity of top layer, you will have a photo title "ghost at sunset".

Last edited:
castleon said:
Hi all,

I'm a D700 user and I not sure if this is the thread to post.
Im planning a shoot on model with landscape and create HDR photograph. I wonder what are the setting I need to do on my remote flash.

My bracketing setting are 1 stop interval with 5 frame.

Scenario
Sunset at the most rear from my view
Small island or huge rocks mid of my view
Model front of my view.

Sunset is the most high exposure
From naked eye island or rock are clear
Only model are some how abit dark.

I have tried before shooting at small aperture to get a landscape of sunset with high power flash on model to bring a balance lighting.

Question to create HDR
What are the solution setting on flash?
Do I set at multi?
Use constant light?
Do I set at rear shutter?
Or do I need the model to stay still and continue fire at slow rate in order for flash to recharge?

Thanks and Best Regard
Leon

Can you ask your subject hold very still for a few frames for HDR shots?

This kind of HDR blending you have to do manually, I don't think you can just chuck into a software and let it figure out. I might be wrong.

First check when you fire the flash without the model present, does it light up any part of the landscape eg. foreground? And if you fire flash on model does any shadow appear in frame?

If it does, then you should continue your 5 frame HDR with the same flash power (use manual setting) + same aperture but different shutter speed. Then ask the model to move into the pre-selected position, pose and shoot her with the correct exposure. You process the 5 frames as it is, then paint in your model at the end. The shadow part you don't have to paint in 100% if you want to retain some detail. It should work, but might depend on your skill to blend the 2 and not make it look (too) fake.

If the flash doesn't hit the landscape then just do the above but no need to use flash until you ask the model to step in.

For first point: flash should be at manual, because you want to control the output and not let the sensor decide for you. Let's say the correct exposure for model is with 1/8 power, you can use 1/8 for all 5 frames, or if you want brighter 1/4 or darker 1/16. The point is so that when you blend the 2 in, it looks seamless, and not 1 patch brighter than the other. But advise you to keep flash power the same throughout the 5 frames unless you're skilled in blending and know what to do.

No need multi, no need constant, rear shutter only if your model cannot keep still for shutter speed. Learn to control flash with manual setting, turn off TTL.

If possible don't place your model too far away that you need to use 1/2 or 1/1 power to light her. The further away she is the more your light will affect the landscape. Then when you don't understand the process more headache for you.

HDR on ppl is typically a no no.
Esp. so if you intend to have a beauty as that person. :D

I'd try to get the model to hold still, and do 3 exposures.
Stack them using HDR program of choice.
Finally, use the middle exposure frame (ie. EV0 exposure) and blend in the model.

Alternatively,
Expose camera for bkground, tending towards under bias by 1ev.
Set strobe to expose model.
In PP, recover a version of the picture for the bkgnd to what you need and blend into the one with properly lit up model.

Last edited:
Hmmm.castleon. What sort of HDR do you want to achieve for your background? The typical HDR-ish type landscape, or are you just trying to achieve a more natural expanded DR?

For both types...it can be done. But the first one - it would be a pretty unique taste of style, but I've seen it online before. But consider the objective of your shoot, is your background the focus, or is the model? At the end of the day though, it is your own style and take, nothing wrong.

You do have a few options of doing it. Something along the lines of what seezhijie described.
Take the number of frames you need for HDR, lets say, 3, without model. Take one properly exposed model at 0 EV - the precautions just as foxtwo described - care for lightspill.

you can still use a HDR program for the 3 HDR frames. Stack the model layer in photoshop together with the HDR-ed layer and mask accordingly - need very good masking skills.

That wud be how i would do it. I personally wouldn't though, don't like HDR in the first place :bsmilie:

supposed at the end of the day it would be more of a proof of concept cause I doubt you would do this often, unless it's going to be your unique style :sweat:

Not all photographic situations benefit from HDR treatment.If you just bracket the shots the the model may not be adequately lit
unless you are going for mood lighting.You mention that you have used a powerful flash before but I think it cannot light up
the background as it is at infinity distance.Why not try a conventional approach? If your camera has "slow sync flash" this will have a
long enough shutter to expose the background and the model will be covered by the flash.You may have to increase ISO sensivity
so that it can prevent camera shake.

HDR on people looks terrible, in my opinion. Would probably look good on the background but blend in a normal exposure of the person using photoshop.