Need help on fixing pics and using D200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmgreen

May 22, 2006
Singapore
I got a D200 about a month ago and took it on my backpacking trip across canada and US. My friend said the pics that I took are terribly bad. I tried to photoshop them but he said now they looked fake. Frustrated, I deleted all the photoshoped pics :cry: Now I really need help to enhance them. I'm posting some of them in the photobucket

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mdmgreen/New York City/DSC_0125.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/mdmgreen/New York City/DSC_0129.jpg

I also need some references on how to use d200. I used to use an F65 and get anything that I saw but not with D200. Some pics looked good on the LCD but looked terribly awful on my screen. Please help! :(

You may wanna bring this topic to the Nikon sub-forum.

But my take is that your hand-holding technics may need a lil improvement as the high megapixel count does make every lil shake and movement turn a good shot into a crappy one. I was a D100 user before I made the jump to a D200 recently and yes, the first few weeks were filled with plenty of deleted shots (too OOF)

Also, try to keep the aperture stopped down for more room for error when you're still trying it out. A monopod or tripod would also let you have a better control with the lower speed shots.

Just keep shooting, you'll get better with time.

Have you asked your friend why he thinks your pics looks terrible?

I am not familiar with the workings of D200, but I think the images from D200 are meant for post processing. Check out www.kenrockwell.com, as he uses the D200 and has sound advice for the D200.

Some personal comments on your photos. They looked over exposed on my laptop, and lacked interest. I can't really tell what's the subject and interest in the 2 photos.

I also used the F65, and now use mainly the D50.

Sorry.. didn't take a look at the pics just now....

Now upon looking at them, I do agree with Blive that they are pretty simple snapshots and do not generate much interest. You may wish to play on the human aspect in the first shot of the World Trade Centre. Check your camera settings, you may wish to increase the saturation and /or sharpening in the Shooting Menu (Optimize Image)

Also work on the composition part to make the picture more attention grabbing.

We are all learners, just keep trying...

I see your pics lacks contrast.

If you mean that the cam LCD is WYSIWYG then you are pretty far off.

CYRN said:
I see your pics lacks contrast.

If you mean that the cam LCD is WYSIWYG then you are pretty far off.

yup agreed too. those pic lack control.
plus it looks a little like those picture will quite extremely under/overexposed and being pushed back to normal exposure in photoshop. :dunno:

No doubt your images are ordinary and lack that kind of punch, but if you want to get back your normal looking images, it ain't too hard, just pull the curves back a bit and you'll see it in a better colour space.

Convert it to black/white + cropping + sharpening might help you a bit too.

_espn_ said:
No doubt your images are ordinary and lack that kind of punch, but if you want to get back your normal looking images, it ain't too hard, just pull the curves back a bit and you'll see it in a better colour space.

Convert it to black/white + cropping + sharpening might help you a bit too.
I thought your usual comment will be... buy the 17-35

Thank you for all the nice comments guys! I :heart: you all! None of you said that I'm a terrible shutterbug!

What I was trying to do was to take picture of the background and not the people. And yes I agree completely that it is plain. But then it was supposed to be things that I saw in my trip. Anyway, I ps the pictures now. Will practice more in this ghost festival time. :devil:

big hug to everyone in the room!

Status
Not open for further replies.