need help on exposure! Arghh..

Status
Not open for further replies.

slardar

Jan 8, 2006
Bukit Batok!
hi all, i've been experimenting to get proper exposure.. read up at many sites but still cant get it right... i have to get it right in case i have to shoot a person against a beautiful background, and end up getting the background/person badly exposed..
below are 2 wrong examples. My aim is to get the sky in pic 1 and the building in pic 2, combined in 1 photo (3rd photo)
What kind of settings should i use? Maybe the metering modes? Or EV compensation? Or any special techniques? All help is greatly appreciated..

pic 1.
dsc6830na0.jpg

pic 2
dsc6831az1.jpg

pic3 (ps-ed)
comcr1.jpg

If there is too great a range of tones between your brightest (sky) and darkest (building) areas of the picture then there is no way in which your camera can exposure the picture correctly to achieve the picture as in No.3. Digital cameras have a much smaller dynamic range than the human eye and this often leads to disappointment in people when the camera fails to capture what they see.

In fact, you have done exactly the right thing in this situation, expose one picture correctly for the foreground and one for the background and merged together in PS. There is no way of achieving this in-camera.

wow thanks for the quick replys. Hmm.. i see.. so there isnt any perfect ways to get perfect exposures.. i thought i will be able to capture what i see with my eyes.. sad.

ND filters could be of great help here.
wah.. good stuff.. but dont really wanna spend extra on that..

In case of person against good background, you can use fill-in flash method.

Regards,
Arto.

thanks for your replies, Artosoft.
he should be referring to gradual filter. i found it at wiki, seems good. haha..
quite troublesome to take multiple photos and editing them.. maybe i should get the filter one of these days.. for now i will have to use bracketing and editing..

Status
Not open for further replies.