Need help on Crumpler Sinking Barge Deluxe

sorakishi

Mar 7, 2011
Hi all,

I just got my new backpack from Crumpler, Sinking Barge Deluxe, but i've difficulty sorting up all the compartments. Any experience user can give me some tips/guides how to sort it efficiently? Or any sites if i can refer to? I tried to google and youtube, can't really find good guide.

Thanks in advance.

sorakishi said:
Hi all,

I just got my new backpack from Crumpler, Sinking Barge Deluxe, but i've difficulty sorting up all the compartments. Any experience user can give me some tips/guides how to sort it efficiently? Or any sites if i can refer to? I tried to google and youtube, can't really find good guide.

Thanks in advance.

It's not easy, what I did was put the camera in and make the snake padding go according to the shape but then again, the bottom compartment isn't that big either. It's only after I used it for a while that I realised it's not such a good camera bag.

might wanna google for pics.they do have pics how other users arrange theirs.

Thanks guys.

I've been using this bag, and very good and flexible. the only thing is might be too big for light traveling, may be i should get one smaller bag.

i was considering the Sinking Barge before i got my ThinkTank Harddrive. when i had a hands-on at the store... i discovered that it's a horrid camera bag.

nice to look at, good to feel, tough as nails..... but made for a photographer? no.

kei1309 said:
i was considering the Sinking Barge before i got my ThinkTank Harddrive. when i had a hands-on at the store... i discovered that it's a horrid camera bag.

nice to look at, good to feel, tough as nails..... but made for a photographer? no.

what do you mean by not for a photographer? i think it is solid, good protection, flexible in term of compartments. whenever i upgrades lens, i can always rearrange the compartments as i want. i thought is good. But u never have any other bags, cant do any fair comparison.

sorakishi said:
what do you mean by not for a photographer? i think it is solid, good protection, flexible in term of compartments. whenever i upgrades lens, i can always rearrange the compartments as i want. i thought is good. But u never have any other bags, cant do any fair comparison.

I used to have a sinking barge deluxe, used it for 2 months and felt that it's a horrible camera bag. It's over padded and the storage space is really limited despite the size, in short, it's bulky and doesn't store much. The shape of the compartment is really odd too, so you find it difficult to fit all the equipment in. plus, the bag is already heavy before you put in your gear, another negative point for me.

That's why I got a thinktank streetwalker pro. It cost about the same but it's lighter, has larger space, shaped just nice for placing in all your gears. My sinking barge deluxe could never fit this much gear in. I feel that the crumpler is made more for fashion conscious individuals rather that for photographers who need to fit in more gear and have quick access to them.

I used to have a sinking barge deluxe, used it for 2 months and felt that it's a horrible camera bag. It's over padded and the storage space is really limited despite the size, in short, it's bulky and doesn't store much. The shape of the compartment is really odd too, so you find it difficult to fit all the equipment in. plus, the bag is already heavy before you put in your gear, another negative point for me.

That's why I got a thinktank streetwalker pro. It cost about the same but it's lighter, has larger space, shaped just nice for placing in all your gears. My sinking barge deluxe could never fit this much gear in. I feel that the crumpler is made more for fashion conscious individuals rather that for photographers who need to fit in more gear and have quick access to them.

exactly the point. too many newbies buy crumpler just because it looks good. really. but function-wise, it loses to brands that exclusively manufacture equipment for photographers.

if i were a photographer who needed quick access to my gear, this isn't the bag to get.

yes it's big and gives great protection. but for the size of it, i would expect to be able to store more. sadly, that isn't the case. and it's really heavy

exactly the point. too many newbies buy crumpler just because it looks good. really. but function-wise, it loses to brands that exclusively manufacture equipment for photographers.

if i were a photographer who needed quick access to my gear, this isn't the bag to get.

yes it's big and gives great protection. but for the size of it, i would expect to be able to store more. sadly, that isn't the case. and it's really heavy

yea. honestly lol it looks good ESP the logo. i got a 5 million dollar. used for a few months and i just sling my camera better.

Im not sure about u guys, i bought my own bag. SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT. bought the compartment paddings from OP. Although it made the bag a little bulky but its still light. Beats crumpler anytime for sure. and most important, the design is what u really like lol

yea. honestly lol it looks good ESP the logo. i got a 5 million dollar. used for a few months and i just sling my camera better.

Im not sure about u guys, i bought my own bag. SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT. bought the compartment paddings from OP. Although it made the bag a little bulky but its still light. Beats crumpler anytime for sure. and most important, the design is what u really like lol

did the same with my Timbuk2. but be careful. not all bags can carry the same load. some won't be able to take the weight of 1 body + laptop + a few lenses + Flashlight + misc stuff

did the same with my Timbuk2. but be careful. not all bags can carry the same load. some won't be able to take the weight of 1 body + laptop + a few lenses + Flashlight + misc stuff

yea thanks for the warning lol nvr thought of the load. but okay lah. i only carry body and max 3 lenses.

Thanks for all comment. Ya agree the weight is one concern for me. After a few hours of carrying my crumplers big bag, it really bother me. It looks like thinktank is a good option. i will check it out. Thanks!

t3hkor said:

what do u meant by bought ur own bag? And which one is super light weight? Can recommend? OP stands for?

what do u meant by bought ur own bag? And which one is super light weight? Can recommend? OP stands for?

I believe he mean, it was just a normal bag... whereby he converted it using paddings bought from Orient Photo (Sim Lim 6th floor).

Actually I was using a normal sling bag that I bought for around S$20 from some pasa malam, and use towel, styloform boards stuffed and sealed in PE bags as padding for my camera, until I finally give in and by a Tamrac with provision to carry my laptop because I go overseas lots of time and need to carry my laptop with me.

Last edited:
haha i brought those camera insert online. and then i use it on my own sling bag which i carry to work everyday haha.. so far no problem

anyway... i think fastpack 250 also not bad? hmm

I see. Got it. Thanks.

Ya i believe for normal bag (i.e. not camera bag), it might have the problem stated by kei1309, which it might not be able to carry heavy weight, also the protection might not as well. Need to be extra careful before it damages your lovely cameras and gears.

Btw, where can i buy thinktank bags in Singapore?

Cheers.

Btw, where can i buy thinktank bags in Singapore?

Cheers.

Can try Cathay Photo, TK and Orient Photo. Call them up first though.

I see. Got it. Thanks.

Ya i believe for normal bag (i.e. not camera bag), it might have the problem stated by kei1309, which it might not be able to carry heavy weight, also the protection might not as well. Need to be extra careful before it damages your lovely cameras and gears.

yep rhino bro answered for me already hehe
i like the sling bag i bought from esprit. the weight management i think its okay. seems very durable. I have tested by putting my stuffs in the bag and carry it around no prob lah. but i feel insecure because its those lightweight material. so i bought the compartment paddings and now it looks just like any bag u find but suitable for camera stuffs. Of course, u buy a bag big enough to put your things i dont think the bag will give way so easily lah...

any views on Vanguard backpacks? i.e. Uprise and Skyborne?