Need help on compact digital camera (SONY dsc-h20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard-neo

May 7, 2009
Hi guys, im a newbie in photography and im currently looking for a compact camera.

came across sony dsc-h20 (an upgraded version of h10) n i need u guys opinions on this camera or any other suggestions for other compact camera?

and wats the effect called when u get a clear person's shot while the background is soft n blurry kind of effect? can it be done on this camera?

many thx!!

U mean bokeh? Like this
IMG_4021a_pp-1.jpg

pic shot yesterday. Any cam can do it within range. Just the intensity of bokeh is different. Hard to explain, I'm not a tech person haha

Last edited:
Hi guys, im a newbie in photography and im currently looking for a compact camera.

came across sony dsc-h20 (an upgraded version of h10) n i need u guys opinions on this camera or any other suggestions for other compact camera?

and wats the effect called when u get a clear person's shot while the background is soft n blurry kind of effect? can it be done on this camera?

many thx!!

Hello...welcome.

The H20 is a very decent cam with good zoom range. I'm considering getting that cam too. :)

The effect is called bokeh. Quite difficult to achieve that with a PnS cam.

U mean bokeh? Like this
IMG_4021a_pp-1.jpg

pic shot yesterday. Any cam can do it within range. Just the intensity of bokeh is different. Hard to explain, I'm not a tech person haha

Hello...welcome.

The H20 is a very decent cam with good zoom range. I'm considering getting that cam too. :)

The effect is called bokeh. Quite difficult to achieve that with a PnS cam.

Hey guys thx for the quick response! yes that is the effect im talking about! im thinking if sony dsc-h20 can achieve that... cos im really keen on that cam. any more advices?

Hey guys thx for the quick response! yes that is the effect im talking about! im thinking if sony dsc-h20 can achieve that... cos im really keen on that cam. any more advices?

Like I've mentioned earlier (not only subjected to this model), I would say most if not all compact cameras will not be able to produce this kind of effect.

alright thx galdor! alr bought the camera though

hmm.. its where the camera focus on that matters..

1zqed5i.jpg

Shot this with my p&s too.. was hard to get a decent focus. And even this pic is blurred.

Actually it's called "Subject isolation". Bokeh is merely the quality of the out of focus areas.

The same principal applies as has been posted many many times before. Use the camera's longest focal length, and try to get the subject as close to you as the framing will allow, while maximizing the distance to the background.

Actually it's called "Subject isolation". Bokeh is merely the quality of the out of focus areas.

The same principal applies as has been posted many many times before. Use the camera's longest focal length, and try to get the subject as close to you as the framing will allow, while maximizing the distance to the background.

yo bro, wat do u mean by using the longest focal length?? is it maximum zoom?? or??

yo bro, wat do u mean by using the longest focal length?? is it maximum zoom?? or??

Yes. I suggest reading more of your camera manual and the newbies guides to photography.

for bokeh with p&s, it is not so easy, but not difficult.

it can be done, as long as one has a firm understanding of what he/she is doing with the camera. same rules apply, just that dof with the smaller sensor on p&s makes it harder.

Hey thx guys for all the feedbacks n advises. newbie here so thx for yr patience =p

Status
Not open for further replies.