Need help on cleaning filter

thltetek

Jul 31, 2012
Singapore
Hi all, need some help and advice on cleaning UV filter.. I'm using the Pro1 UV filter for my lens, and got some finger prints on it. Thus, I used the cleaning kit, which comes with the cloth and the liquid that is used to clean lens, to wipe the filter, hoping the stain will go off and the filter become clear. Initially, I checked it was dry and put it back in my dry box. However, 1 week later when I took the lens out to ensure the lens is free of dust and fungus, I realise the liquid that is used to wipe the lens had remained as stain. Hence, I use the micro cloth to just wipe the stain hoping to clear them without any liquid this time. It did clear but still seem to leave some small stains around the filter. Did I just destroyed the filter or something? Or are there any ways to help clear these stains and make the filter clear once again? Hope someone will help me out here, thanks a lot.

put the filter near your mouth, blow some warm air onto it to fog the filter surface and wipe it in circular motion with your lens cloth. Try this a few times.

This is how I clean my filter. :p

put the filter near your mouth, blow some warm air onto it to fog the filter surface and wipe it in circular motion with your lens cloth. Try this a few times.

Really? It works huh?

maybe you can try using a lens pen, IMO it's easier to clean.

but I don't really clean them so often. haha

maybe you can try using a lens pen, IMO it's easier to clean.

but I don't really clean them so often. haha
Ohh, alright thanks for the advice. Yea I also seldom clean filter unless got finger prints or stains

Ask your mother / wife for some glass cleaner. Pharmacy shops also have Isopropyle Alcohol. Enough.
Btw: you will not see the finger prints anyway, unless you take a shoot with back light or at night.

yrh0413 said:

I trust u popped some ricola or mentos before blowing? Hehe

thltetek said:
Hi all, need some help and advice on cleaning UV filter.. I'm using the Pro1 UV filter for my lens, and got some finger prints on it. Thus, I used the cleaning kit, which comes with the cloth and the liquid that is used to clean lens, to wipe the filter, hoping the stain will go off and the filter become clear. Initially, I checked it was dry and put it back in my dry box. However, 1 week later when I took the lens out to ensure the lens is free of dust and fungus, I realise the liquid that is used to wipe the lens had remained as stain. Hence, I use the micro cloth to just wipe the stain hoping to clear them without any liquid this time. It did clear but still seem to leave some small stains around the filter. Did I just destroyed the filter or something? Or are there any ways to help clear these stains and make the filter clear once again? Hope someone will help me out here, thanks a lot.

Very simple to maintain ur filters.

Just used tap water with dish soap and clean 1st.
Follow by used wet cloth to mop it as clean on 70-80% dry.
After used air blower to blow the frame joint track area.
Follow by used microfiber cloth to be brush it on both side with finger free.

Like that the filter can remain until forget

Very simple to maintain ur filters.

Just used tap water with dish soap and clean 1st.
Follow by used wet cloth to mop it as clean on 70-80% dry.
After used air blower to blow the frame joint track area.
Follow by used microfiber cloth to be brush it on both side with finger free.

Like that the filter can remain until forget

Don't do this on cpl thou, B+W KSM also die :bsmilie:

I recommend carl zeiss lens cloth (works better than a lens pen) if you are cleaning ur filter. it is available at some spectacle shop. Just try to use a brush and a blower to get rid of the dust b4 cleaning it, as sand particle (some time you just nv know) may scratch. I manage to revive 2 filters and a damaged sigma lens which I bought from cash converters and old camera shop with this cloth and some isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
Don't do this on cpl thou, B+W KSM also die :bsmilie:

Ya forgotten, the KSM CLP got 2 layer haha... just recalled about it...

cause mine still keep until forgot and never used at all.. in the white case.

Thanks

(But still can be used wet cloths at 80% dry ahh... the water also not really can go in..)

Last edited: