Need help on choosing tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintin

Nov 1, 2004
hey guys any recommendation on cheap and good tripod?
my budget ard $200. any chance to buy a good one with this budget?
please advice.
thanks alot.:)

$200 should be enough f a manfrotto, excluding the head.

can also find out the retail price, then keep a look out in Buy n Sell. can save quite a bit!.

saving up a little more (if necessary) is good advise.

dun compromise on quality. that little bit more $$$ spent on a quality tripod will last u a lifetime.

since no set-up was specified, with the budget. i recommend 2nd-hand tripod of useable condition under $150 (legs & head with QR). brands like Slik (PRO series) would serve you well.

after using 1 for a period of time den know wad to look for in new wan. would oso be better if can state some piorities in that tripod u looking for? the more the merrier of course. :)

wat setup u plan to hold? do u plan to bring it ard or it will just stay at the studio or home?

hi guys thanks for the replies.
my set up are mostly normal with kit lens and flashlight, would be great if can support a zoom lens too.
mostly use for group foto and night shot without flash.
weight no problem but of coz prefer lighter one.
btw wats QR?
and oso wats the damage for a better tripod and head?

hi guys thanks for the replies.
my set up are mostly normal with kit lens and flashlight, would be great if can support a zoom lens too.
mostly use for group foto and night shot without flash.
weight no problem but of coz prefer lighter one.
btw wats QR?
and oso wats the damage for a better tripod and head?

QR is quick release. if you're using kit only, and you don't plan to expand your aresenal, then i think a $100-150 tripod will be fine. other wise something arnd $250 or more. haha

better legs & head?

some nice legs + head combo can costs anything from a dollar above ur budget to well above $1000. while the advise to get a better set means u'll less likely outgrow it, there's still a chance there's some pet peeve about it. there's always a better wan.

i have personally upgraded my tripod set-up twice, so each upgrade i know wad i want in e new set, not buying a better wan for buying sake. probably e sales staff know i wont be upgrading for a long long time after my 2nd upgrade. :cool:

the tendency to upgrade will still be there to tempt, simply cos that's not the king-of-the-hill. those that do major damage to wallets. :devil:

how come ortega never write his cool phrases..

steady and cheap tripod is not light
cheap and light tripod is not steady
light and steady tripod is not cheap..

:D

in any case, you can consider getting slik 330dx or 340dx or 400dx. the last one is heavy like hell though.

my logic in getting cheap tripods is simple - i won't go around plunging something expensive into sand the way i do with cheap ones. and even if i might go through 4 cheap tripods when i could have gone through only 1 expensive one.. the cost is probably equivalent.. :bsmilie:

it's all your choice, actually!

hey guys any recommendation on cheap and good tripod?
my budget ard $200. any chance to buy a good one with this budget?
please advice.
thanks alot.:)

Hello Quintin,

Its good that you set a budget first so that the BBB virus does not set in too deep :)

With that budget, you would probably want to get a "bang-for-buck" tripod. Check popular brands as stated by fellow CS-ers and see the weight and specifications online, do some simple comparison and head down to the shops and see how it really feels.

Personally, the feel of the tripod, it being sturdy, the weight, construction etc is the most important.

Head down to the shops once you have an idea of which range of tripods to get! Feel the tripods for yourself :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.