Need help on choosing a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercGuy

Dec 2, 2008
Hi all frens out there,

I am looking to buy a Digital SLR. Budget around $1000 to $1500 for a new one.
Any recommendations?

Is live view important? What is the main usage of live view?
:dunno:

Can consider Nikon d5000, canon 500d. these two are the latest and quite popular here...
for live view..it's just lk the LCD u using for normal camera? Depends on whether u prefer to use it or not...may be useful at time.

Live view can be useful, when you have the camera set at odd angles, where you can't use the view finder. Pretty much all the latest models have live view.

Any recommendations?

It's good that you have defined a budget. Your next point could be the Marketplace where you can find Price Guides for various cameras. Next, if you want to know features and compare models then maybe DPReview can be helpful. Read, browse and compare for yourself.
Do note, DSLR is not just like Point and Shoot where you buy the camera and that's it. DSLR open to a huge variety of accessories. Some of them will only fit to one brand (e.g. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax etc.), some fit to all cameras (tripods). So it's rather a camera system that you are getting. Changing later can be quite costly.
All features are tools in your hand, you can use them or not depending on your own preferences and needs.
Once you have shortlisted a few models go to the respective showrooms for a touchy session. See the menu, feel the weight and the handling. Differences in specs can be small, intuitive handling is more important. You don't need to follow the mass jumping on Nikon D-something or Canon xyzD ... there is more than one brand and they are all capable of taking good pictures.

Go to a reputable shop and let your fingers do the talking (try it out physically)

Hi all frens out there,

Any recommendations?

a lot depends on your requirements..so figure out what you would like in the camera and is $1500 for the camera alone or for the whole system.

go to shops or showroom and try holding the dslr and then let decide the one that fits comfortably on your hand :)

If you're living around Hougang Mall, this weekend the Harvey Norman outlet on level 2 has placed an entire line of the most recent DSLRs - including the D90, D5000 and Canon models - for people to handle and play around with on the counter table.

Hi all frens out there,

Any recommendations?

You do know your question pops up about twice a day, right? Have you tried a search?

Canon 450D+18-55+55-250?

My vote goes to a 2nd hand nikon d90.

Status
Not open for further replies.