need help on choice of my first dslr ( budget $300-$400 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkiller

Feb 9, 2009
just finished studying and interested in going into photography(wanted to start 4years back)!
need alot of help.
hope you guys can help me out.:)
looking for a second hand dslr to start off with~!

just finished studying and interested in going into photography(wanted to start 4years back)!
need alot of help.

Check out the BnS.... can't actually tell which one would sell you at that price.

But my advise is DON"T jump in for the cheapest you can find. Go with a plan in mind. Check out the various brands, look at the system they offer and how you can grow with it. Go down to the bigger stores and try out the cameras, feel them in your hands, are you actually comfortable with it, etc...

Then LOOK for the specific brand in mind and hunt for one which may fit your budget. But do NOTE that there are loads of other stuff to consider, cleaning kits, dry cabinets, etc.... factor them into your budget as well.

okay, now that sounds scary.
i've been to quite a number of shops recently and i think nikon's my type of camera.
i don't quite get what you mean by cleaning kits, dry cabinets and etcetc.
mind explaining?

okay, now that sounds scary.
i've been to quite a number of shops recently and i think nikon's my type of camera.
i don't quite get what you mean by cleaning kits, dry cabinets and etcetc.
mind explaining?

Cleaning Kit is something that you use to clean your camera maybe after every shoot. Dry Cabinets are something you keep your cameras and lenses in. Something like a wine cooler thingy.

Anyway, since you said nikon is your type. You can join the Nikon section in CS then learn what camera is good and stuff. For Nikon, I recommend D60 since my friend has one

Cleaning Kit is something that you use to clean your camera maybe after every shoot. Dry Cabinets are something you keep your cameras and lenses in. Something like a wine cooler thingy.

Anyway, since you said nikon is your type. You can join the Nikon section in CS then learn what camera is good and stuff. For Nikon, I recommend D60 since my friend has one

With his budget? He may be lucky to get a second-hand D40.

decided to increase my budget to $500.
sobs.

whats the diff between d40x,d60.d70 and d80?

decided to increase my budget to $500.
sobs.

hi!
maybe... just maybe...
you can do some research now (like the different models of Nikon, what lenses the model will be able to use etc), while trying to save some more money to increase your budget at the same time...
IMHO, i think $500 is not enough.
sorry.

lets say about $800?
will that do?

lets say about $800?
will that do?

well, that SHOULD be enough.
look here and here.
i'm not sure about the market price for 2nd hand on them, but just giving a rough idea. :)
if you get the D40, you will have the spare cash for a dry cab, and maybe something else?

*can look here too.

Last edited:
brand new?
you sure?
btw, whats the diff between d40x,d60.d70 and d80?

brand new?
you sure?
btw, whats the diff between d40x,d60.d70 and d80?

wah lau eh... the fellow clubsnappers are trying to be helpful, but don't ask such a blatantly lazy question and expect to be spoonfed.
The logical thing to do is go to Nikon (or Canon, if that's what you're looking for) website and search through their product information.
C'mon man... help yourself first, then we'll help you along the way.

Last edited:
wah lau eh... the fellow clubsnappers are trying to be helpful, but don't ask such a blatantly lazy question and expect to be spoonfed.
The logical thing to do is go to Nikon (or Canon, if that's what you're looking for) website and search through their product information.
C'mon man... help yourself first, then we'll help you along the way.

whoa bro.
chill! ;)

need alot of help.
realistically, $420 should be able to get you a 2nd hand 300D with 18-55mm IS lens.

thanks alot guys. i'm still researching.
sorry about my laziness.
it kinda runs in the blood.:)

if you want cheaper second hand deals, look for the less popular brands, like olympus, pentax and sony. it's not impossible to find a bargain now and then.

that said, save longer, you can get something newer and better (therefore lessening your chances of wanting to upgrade sooner).

Status
Not open for further replies.