Vote for which lens you reccommend

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggorilla

Nov 4, 2009
Somewhere near you.Look behind
Hi all,

I am a Sony A700 user here... I am gonna be getting the Tamron 17-50(confirmed).

Right now I am looking to get a good tele lens to accompnay it.

Here are my options...

01) Sony 70-300 G
02) Tamron 18-250 (if i get this I wont be getting the 17-50)
03) Tamron 70-200
04) Tamron 70-300

What are your thoughts???

Also I would like to be able to use the lens at night as well.. I heard that the 18-250 would not handle night shots too well, compared to the Sony G, if the lighting isnt too good??

Thanks guys

Last edited:
What do the in-depth independent reviews say?

Well I went thru alot... and i mean alot of reviews... but they all say the same thing.. they all talk about how good the lens are.. and none of them had any samples of a night shot...

well all except this one guy, but then again he did only post 1 photo. It was for the Sony G lens.

Also chatting with a photographer. He told me that comapring the Tamron 18-250 and the Sony 70-300 G lens, he would choose the SOny G. His reason was that even thou the difference in max aperature is not far off, Sony G optics would be better, being of course G class. And of cousre for the fact that the Sony is 5.6 and the tamron is 6.3....

So right now, I am hoping to get some honest reviews here from people who actually use any of these lens... not reviews online form guys who were prob given a free lens to test out and gave an "honest" opinion...

Check user reviews and comments. Usually, if there's a problem, consumers won't hesitate to mention it or complain.

If low light AF usage is a concern, it might be better to revert to a wide aperture 2.8 zoom, or fast primes.

If you don't need the 300mm range, you can try getting a Minolta 70-210mm f4 lens. This lens is cheap and good. :thumbsup:

There is also a Sigma 75-200mm f2.8-3.5 which is pretty good too.

Do you know any shop that sells this lens? maybe i could go down for a test drive.... i mean with 1.5x focal length conversion, it still hits around the 315mm mark...

Thanks for that advise...

U need to tell us your definition of 'good' is in terms of budget,image quality or lens build mah..
If in terms of pic qualities, these four lens will not be in my recommendation at all..

well budget is not an issue since I have stated the Sony G. And anyway I can pay for it in interest free installments.

So I am looking more on image quality. And using it more outdoors then indoors.

U need to tell us your definition of 'good' is in terms of budget,image quality or lens build mah..
If in terms of pic qualities, these four lens will not be in my recommendation at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.