Need help on Canon Nissin Di622 Flash

Odyssey-Boy

Oct 19, 2009
Hi all,

I own a Nissin Di622 and currently using this flash optically on my 550D.

I would like to try off-camera using this flash and camera.

Have anyone tried using this flash with a wireless flash trigger ?

I'd watched the RDP's video, and seems it could be fired, but through the 7D I guess.

Pros, please do advice/suggest me on how can I fire my flash wirelessly..

Hope to seek some good advices,

Odyssey-Boy

The Nissin Di622 for Canon can't be used with any wireless trigger for now. Have to wait for if and when Nissin ever decides to release a firmware upgrade for it.

The salesperson demo to me by mode the power btn until it sync then when I click my shutter the flash was fire, but i have to use my pop up flash too

Last edited:
The salesperson demo to me by mode the power btn until it sync then when I click my shutter the flash was fire, but i have to use my pop up flash too

How did you manage to connect the flash to the camera to let it fire?

as far as I know, Di622 can be triggered optically (ie it 'sees' the burst of flash from your pop-up, and it fires too), but then control of the flash exposure is done manually.

Triggering it this way means that the pop-up flash DEFINITELY contributes to the light output, unlike if you use the commander function with Canon 7D or Nikon D70s/D80/D90/D200/D300/D300s/D700.

I have seen a fitting which goes over your pop-up flash and converts the visible flash for the slave into an invisible IR flash which the slave unit will still pick up. Can't find a link to it at the moment and too busy to look further but you should be able to google it.

How did you manage to connect the flash to the camera to let it fire?

1st you have to connect Di622 flash to your hot shoe, then set to TTL, by holding the MODE button. after that you can unplug it and open your pop up flash.

when you fire your pop up flash, the Di622 flash will follow it too.

the Mode button can be use to adjust the power of your Di622 flash.

I saw in the mode, you can set the pop up flash exposure, i tried to make it -2 but doesnt feel different in the pop up flash light

I have seen a fitting which goes over your pop-up flash and converts the visible flash for the slave into an invisible IR flash which the slave unit will still pick up. Can't find a link to it at the moment and too busy to look further but you should be able to google it.
only if the camera body is wireless commander-capable, and the wireless flash is the appropriate model.
Otherwise the slave is triggered optically. It 'sees' a bright light and activates itself. The IR panel won't work in this case.

i dont think the i622 flash can be fire through the wireless trigger
but one thing i know that it can fire by another flash.

as far as I know, Di622 can be triggered optically (ie it 'sees' the burst of flash from your pop-up, and it fires too), but then control of the flash exposure is done manually.

Triggering it this way means that the pop-up flash DEFINITELY contributes to the light output, unlike if you use the commander function with Canon 7D or Nikon D70s/D80/D90/D200/D300/D300s/D700.

Yes bro. Di622 can be an optical slave. But it is smart enough to ignore all the pre-flashes sent out by the pop-ups when using i-TTL or e-TTL wireless. So when used in conjunction with i-TTL or e-TTL, it will not receive any exposure info, but will fire on the money together with the other CLS capable strobes.

1st you have to connect Di622 flash to your hot shoe, then set to TTL, by holding the MODE button. after that you can unplug it and open your pop up flash.

when you fire your pop up flash, the Di622 flash will follow it too.

the Mode button can be use to adjust the power of your Di622 flash.

I saw in the mode, you can set the pop up flash exposure, i tried to make it -2 but doesnt feel different in the pop up flash light

I see I see. I will try this tomorrow morning, and see if it works. Thanks for the help, I've appreciated much. :thumbsup:

Yes bro. Di622 can be an optical slave. But it is smart enough to ignore all the pre-flashes sent out by the pop-ups when using i-TTL or e-TTL wireless. So when used in conjunction with i-TTL or e-TTL, it will not receive any exposure info, but will fire on the money together with the other CLS capable strobes.

Thanks for the good info. But if my this Di 622 can't work with my 550D, come worst to worst, cannot trigger by wireless trigger, than the next level I will have to upgrade the Di 866 ? Haha:) Then I think I will forgo the off- camera flash activity and wait for the update software for the Di 622.

Hey Bro, I told you before at the Newbies shoot - Canon Mount 622 cannot be triggered wirelessly using wireless triggers. Even as an Optical slave there is a standby timer, and this tends to disable it’s optical slave functions.

THERE IS HOWEVER a mod to solve your problems. BUT it requires some soldering. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. As it voids your warranty. Unless you know what you’re doing / becoming very desperate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6EzCU03ymQ

Hey Bro, I told you before at the Newbies shoot - Canon Mount 622 cannot be triggered wirelessly using wireless triggers. Even as an Optical slave there is a standby timer, and this tends to disable it’s optical slave functions.

THERE IS HOWEVER a mod to solve your problems. BUT it requires some soldering. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. As it voids your warranty. Unless you know what you’re doing / becoming very desperate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6EzCU03ymQ
oh...? Something interesting. I didn't know there was a difference between the made-for-Canon Di622 and the made-for-Nikon Di622...

I asked the dude at OP about 622 and 866, and also searched through Nissin's websites. It says 622 can be triggered optically. So I presume a pulse of light would trigger it.

actually... are there any pre-flashes?
Or they are so rapid that the human eye sees it as one single flash? hmmm :think: I don't know the answer to that one. Was observing my pop-up flash in commander + TTL mode... Looks like only 1 flash.

actually... are there any pre-flashes?
Or they are so rapid that the human eye sees it as one single flash? hmmm :think: I don't know the answer to that one. Was observing my pop-up flash in commander + TTL mode... Looks like only 1 flash.

There are pre-flashes dude. Just a bit fast. That is how CLS works, it uses preflashes to measure the exposure value. That is why if people are using pure old school optical slaves, those flashes will still fire, but look as if it did not fire in the pics. They fired very slightly before the shot was actually taken.

Last edited:
yeah I thought so :angel: It must be pre-flashes... CLS always puzzled me how it worked, coz I was always wondering how the units communicated exposure values, etc..
electronics so fast nowadays... hehehehe

oh...? Something interesting. I didn't know there was a difference between the made-for-Canon Di622 and the made-for-Nikon Di622...

I asked the dude at OP about 622 and 866, and also searched through Nissin's websites. It says 622 can be triggered optically. So I presume a pulse of light would trigger it.
No difference physically, just that there is a firmware update for Nikon mount 622 that allow use with wireless triggers.

None for Canon mounts. Pity.

The di622 can be fired off shoe by any flash. I tried it with my 2 pns and it works too. You will need to rotate the IR part of the flash to face the flash that you are using to trigger it. Don't think that anything more advanced than that will work on it.

It works pretty good as a hotshoe flash, but beyond that, you will probably be a lot happier with the di866 or 580EX II.

The di622 can be fired off shoe by any flash. I tried it with my 2 pns and it works too. You will need to rotate the IR part of the flash to face the flash that you are using to trigger it. Don't think that anything more advanced than that will work on it.

It works pretty good as a hotshoe flash, but beyond that, you will probably be a lot happier with the di866 or 580EX II.
ahhh but which Di622? Since Shane said that the made-for-Canon ones couldn't work wirelessly.

ahhh but which Di622? Since Shane said that the made-for-Canon ones couldn't work wirelessly.

Canon mount. Re-read what I posted again. Wireless can only trigger by another flash, not any other method.