need help on 60D urgent

Jeffrey11

Oct 24, 2010
each time i take pictures it will either turn too bright or too dark using manual...played around with the iso and aperature and shutter but seem tat i cant adjust the exposure settings.. i try but instead of jumping by + or - 1 , it jump both side.... to say each time i turn the dial it jump + and - 1 together......how do i fix it........thkz broz

Dunno what you mean by 'jump both sides' -- sounds almost as if you have Auto Bracketing turned on.

Is the exposure okay in P mode? If it is, then you probably need to read the manual, and check out the guide on basics -- it's a sticky at the top of the Newbies Corner.

If that doesn't help, then you will probably need to describe your situation (what you're shooting, in what light, and what your settings are) clearly.

From what I read, you are not using the metering correctly.

What you need to do is to ensure that your exposure is at the centre of the Metering scale. If you look through the Viewfinder, you'll find a scale similarly to the one below.

ZD3100VFCALLOUTS.GIF

(Taken from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/D3100VIEWFINDER.HTM)

The above is from a Nikon D3100, but the idea is similar for all other cameras ... you need to concentrate on the section numbered 11. This scale will determine if your picture is over or under exposed. To obtain the correct exposure where the scale will be at 0, the following has to be right:

• Aperture
  • Shutter Speed
  • ISO
To start out, learn to shoot in the P mode while learning the concepts on the above 3.

HTH.

Cheers!

each time i take pictures it will either turn too bright or too dark using manual...played around with the iso and aperature and shutter but seem tat i cant adjust the exposure settings.. i try but instead of jumping by + or - 1 , it jump both side.... to say each time i turn the dial it jump + and - 1 together......how do i fix it........thkz broz

If you're using manual exposure mode, why are you trying to adjust 'exposure settings'? Are you referring to exposure compensation (the square with the + and - within it)? That isn't really helpful in manual exposure mode.

Simply adjusting the aperture, shutter speed and ISO speed will affect the exposure of your image.

Am a bit confused by what you're describing... hope my info has been helpful.

Seems like you have no idea about exposure in a dslr. Please go read up on the following topics in a book or on the Internet:

Metering modes. Spot, center weighted, evaluative.
Exposure modes. P A S M modes.
Exposure - relationship between iso, aperture, and shutter speed.
EV compensation.

And stay off M mode if you do not know what you are doing. Use P mode for a start, then move to A mode. Learn to crawl first, then stand, then walk, then run.

Last edited:
If you're using manual exposure mode, why are you trying to adjust 'exposure settings'? Are you referring to exposure compensation (the square with the + and - within it)? That isn't really helpful in manual exposure mode.
EV is not even functional in Manual exposure mode on a Canon. The button gets a different function. That's different from Nikon where it still affects the exposure meter (kind of offset).

When you take in manual, you need to know the basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed. EV doesn't play a role

Start taking in P or Auto and see if you have the same problem. Then go find a guy who is using a dslr and sit with him for 30 mins to learn about the basics above. If you're in Jb, give me a buzz.

Fear not, read through ur usual manual and try to get the EOS 60D FULL COLOR GUIDE MAGAZINE (not sure if its out by now), that book helps a look in understand ur cam visually and provide lots of guide for u to take pics etc.

its not technical enough to let u understand photography, but it does provide a very good head start for u to get shooting.

When you take in manual, you need to know the basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed. EV doesn't play a role

Start taking in P or Auto and see if you have the same problem. Then go find a guy who is using a dslr and sit with him for 30 mins to learn about the basics above. If you're in Jb, give me a buzz.

Not only does EV not play a role. EV is not even available in M mode.

That might not be so for some nikon camera ? I recall a discussion on this sometime back.

But yes, on most cam, ev compensation doesn't function in manual mode. In manual you already have full control over the exposure settings. Just tweaking any one of the aperture , shutter speed or iso you are already compensating

Yes daredevil is right, EV is not available in M mode. And TS mentioned helped on the 60D, I'll assume it's a Canon. TS, that leave you with the need for basic understanding of ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed to get the correct exposure to your picture.

I remember catchlight explaining that EV in Manual exposure mode is available in Nikon (but not sure whether in all models). He mentioned that EV finally is an offset added to the metering display. Setting EV to -1 will give an image underexposed by 1 stop when the meter is pointing to 0 in display. Whether this makes sense / is useful is a personal choice.
TS has Canon, so EV is disabled / button has a different function in Manual mode.

That might not be so for some nikon camera ? I recall a discussion on this sometime back.

But yes, on most cam, ev compensation doesn't function in manual mode. In manual you already have full control over the exposure settings. Just tweaking any one of the aperture , shutter speed or iso you are already compensating

I remember catchlight explaining that EV in Manual exposure mode is available in Nikon (but not sure whether in all models). He mentioned that EV finally is an offset added to the metering display. Setting EV to -1 will give an image underexposed by 1 stop when the meter is pointing to 0 in display. Whether this makes sense / is useful is a personal choice.
TS has Canon, so EV is disabled / button has a different function in Manual mode.

But TS said he is using a 60D...

But TS said he is using a 60D...
Yes, I'm aware of that. It was just to highlight the fact that this cannot be said about all cameras. Since it's Newbies Corner and not Canon booth I felt it was good to mention.

I see many mentioned EV is not available in M mode for Canon. It may not be exactly accurate and may mislead some. In M mode, one cant use EV compensation but EV is displayed. The EV displayed is still affected by shutter, aperture, ISO and metering mode settings.

Apart from P and Auto mode where camera decides the settings, the camera is only smart enough to decide one setting after user made the rest. In M mode, user decide shutter, aperture, ISO, metering and the camera based on the metered scene display the EV (to tell user whether it's correctly, under or over expose). For Av, user decide ISO, metering, aperture, EV default at 0 unless compensated (ie user decide whether to under or over expose), and camera decide the shutter speed. For Tv, replace aperture with shutter and vice-versa.

Last edited:
I see many mentioned EV is not available in M mode for Canon. It may not be exactly accurate and may mislead some. In M mode, one cant use EV compensation but EV is displayed. The EV displayed is still affected by shutter, aperture, ISO and metering mode settings.

Apart from P and Auto mode where camera decides the settings, the camera is only smart enough to decide one setting after user made the rest. In M mode, user decide shutter, aperture, ISO, metering and the camera based on the metered scene display the EV (to tell user whether it's correctly, under or over expose). For Av, user decide ISO, metering, aperture, EV default at 0 unless compensated (ie user decide whether to under or over expose), and camera decide the shutter speed. For Tv, replace aperture with shutter and vice-versa.

Actually, what we meant was EV compensation... not the meter itself. ;)

Yeah, what we meant was that the meter will still display what it is supposed to do (when you adjust your ISO, aperture, shutter etc). Just not allowed for manipulation of the EV compensation in M mode. For Canon that is.

Hi all,

I'm not sure where is the correct place to post this but i'd like to warn you all of this seller.
He texted me saying that he wishes to sell his 60D, and so arrangements was made to meet today at 10.15pm. Before I left, I asked the seller for confirmation and there was a reply so I made my way there. When i reached, I was told to wait for 5mins. So i waited. 10minutes later, at 1030, i received this text : "Sorry bro my mom scold me I need to wait for my bro as I'm a girl cannot go out night " and said that we could only deal at 12 instead. Several calls was made and no one picked up. The cell number is 90300145. I was super pissed and left.
So if there're any of you who's interested in getting anything from this seller, i STONGLY advice you not to. Thanks.

icyrealm said:
Hi all,

I'm not sure where is the correct place to post this but i'd like to warn you all of this seller.
He texted me saying that he wishes to sell his 60D, and so arrangements was made to meet today at 10.15pm. Before I left, I asked the seller for confirmation and there was a reply so I made my way there. When i reached, I was told to wait for 5mins. So i waited. 10minutes later, at 1030, i received this text : "Sorry bro my mom scold me I need to wait for my bro as I'm a girl cannot go out night " and said that we could only deal at 12 instead. Several calls was made and no one picked up. The cell number is 90300145. I was super pissed and left.
So if there're any of you who's interested in getting anything from this seller, i STONGLY advice you not to. Thanks.

Think you can start a new post in the consumers corner or something.. This is someone else's thread. :p hehe

Hi all,

Think you can start a new post in the consumers corner or something.. This is someone else's thread. :p hehe
sound like you are dealing with a 16years old girl, but the phone number is belong to TS.

I'm confused. :confused: