Need help, night shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacWin

Jul 20, 2009
I know this is last minute, tomorrow I'll be assisting some behind the scene of a short film. My director told me it would be a night scene and I can't use flash because it would affect the shooting. Yesterday, I've attend Canon basic DSLR training, learned a few basic functions of the camera capability. Using Canon 500D, kit lens I.

When I get home, I tried using the 'P' mode to take a few night shots of my living room. I realize most of the photos are blur (even though I hold down my breathe). As a newbie, I'm advised to use the 'P' mode since the camera will take care of aperture and shutter speed, ISO auto. I will only need to adjust the contrast/brightness.

Google; "Canon+500D+night+shot+tutorial" but doesn't help. Hope CS brother or sister can give me some tips.

Just increase your ISO to 1600. Shoot in aperture mode, set it to the largest aperture. If needed, rent a lens with a large aperture, like a 50mm f/1.8

Shutter, Aperture and ISO.

shutter depends how quick you need the camera to be. aperture to decide how much light you need. iso to decide how much noise is acceptable. This is of course overly simplified.

i advise you read up on exposure as well as the different types of metering.

and of course, a tripod + cable release is recommended.

example,
max EV, Spot metering and shutter priority 1/125 and iso 800~1600 if its an action scene. Chances are, you will get a few nice ones.

*if you can, i recommend renting an Sigma 70-200 F2.8 if need to shoot from a distance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.