Need help - Lens Hood and Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

photographer20

Dec 7, 2006
Help! I don't know if I'm screaming for help for nothing but I can't remove my hoya UV filter after attaching it to my 18-55mm EFS kit lens for my 50D!! No matter how hard I tried.

Is this supposed to happen? Do I need to send it for repair or something?

And my lens hood, thank God it's not stuck but when I attach it on to the lens (now with the filter stuck!) And I do Auto Focus with my 50D, the edge of the hood can be seen, so I can't take pics with strong lights at the side without the hood being seen.

How should I solve these two problems? Please help guys!:cry:

Help! I don't know if I'm screaming for help for nothing but I can't remove my hoya UV filter after attaching it to my 18-55mm EFS kit lens for my 50D!! No matter how hard I tried.

Is this supposed to happen? Do I need to send it for repair or something?

And my lens hood, thank God it's not stuck but when I attach it on to the lens (now with the filter stuck!) And I do Auto Focus with my 50D, the edge of the hood can be seen, so I can't take pics with strong lights at the side without the hood being seen.

How should I solve these two problems? Please help guys!:cry:

No. Your UV filter or whatever filter should never be stucked onto the lens. If you can screw it in, why can't you screw it out? :think:

But in such case, you can bring it to CSC or those camera repair shops. Or do it on your own, using a pair of pliers and put your lens face down on a cloth. Use a bit of strength.

Try not to use your lens hood. If you can see your lens hood through the viewfinder, it means your hood is not properly mounted on to your lens. If you want to prevent flare, try using your palm. It works the same way.

Relax bro, you screwed in too tightly. Just unscrew it. Filters are supposed to be interchangeable, not permanently attached. Agar agar can liao.

Have something like a rubber belt or gloves and wrap around the filter edge and see if u can untwist the filter eventually. My thin mount Nikon polariser got stuck once and i used those thick black rubber bands ( from my army days.. the ones u put ard the helmet ) to untwist.

If u really end up using too much force, then gotta visit the service centre.

For the time being , if u need to shoot, dun put the hood lor. the hood is itself optimised for the lens attached, and not so after u included some thickness from the filter.

Ryan

just curious... are u un-screw to the right direction? ;)

another possibility is that the focus machanism of the lens have been turning together with your filter, hence you are not able to unscrew the filter. try to unscrew using the tip of your fingers holding on to the lens and the other hand unscrewing the filter.

Curious, did you have trouble screwing on the filter? If yes, then you might run in to the risk of cross thread.

You might just need to exert more strength to remove the filter. Just try more 'power'. Avoid using metal tools cos the risk of something breaking is rather high. The rubber band method will your best choice.

Last edited:
Phew...luckily it came out smoothly.

I went to the shop I bought my filter and the guy just switch off my IS, turn my AF to MF, then just turned the filter out.

But yeah, learnt my lesson, won't screw it so tightly.

As for the hood, some adviced to cover glare with my hands, then some say use it without filter. Then how? So it means to keep my lens protected I have to live with flare? Or I have to give up protection for my lens to keep glares out?

Sigh...:bheart:

The lens hood for the 18-55 is pretty shallow. I've a gut feeling you've got the hood mounted wrongly.

As for the hood, some adviced to cover glare with my hands, then some say use it without filter. Then how? So it means to keep my lens protected I have to live with flare? Or I have to give up protection for my lens to keep glares out?

It depends on the light conditions. Whenever you have sun or lamps directly in the frame the chances for flare and ghosting are high. Better remove the filter and try to shade the lens with hands or hood. Also, a lens hood is a good protection as I have experienced just recently. It's flexible plastic that can withstand some heavy bumps where the glass of the filter might break. Use the filter when necessary (water splashes, dust), remove when not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.