Need Help: Ladies Watch

ice15

Jan 19, 2009
Singapore
ice15.wordpress.com
I'm looking for a ladies watch.

Presently looking at automatic models priced 1k and below (lower is better), hoping to spend around SGD 500.00 if possible.

I'm looking at the following brands...

Solvil et Titus (Titus)
Ingersoll
BCBG Max Azria

Has anyone heard of those brands? Are they good?

If all above mentioned brands are not good/reputable, I might just purchase similar priced battery operated "fashion brand" (Guess, CK, Fossil, AX and etc; please NO Swatch, Seiko, Casio and those big watches). Which one would you recommend?

ice15 said:

Presently looking at automatic models priced 1k and below (lower is better), hoping to spend around SGD 500.00 if possible.

I'm looking at the following brands...

Solvil et Titus (Titus)
Ingersoll
BCBG Max Azria

Has anyone heard of those brands? Are they good?

If all above mentioned brands are not good/reputable, I might just purchase similar priced battery operated "fashion brand" (Guess, CK, Fossil, AX and etc; please NO Swatch, Seiko, Casio and those big watches). Which one would you recommend?

BCBG is also a fashion brand. :) but it's got good class and good taste. ;) :bsmilie:

Those brands you mentioned are mostly for quartz watches ..... Try Cyma if you want an automatic watch in that price range....

Maybe Tissot too.

Those brands you mentioned are mostly for quartz watches ..... Try Cyma if you want an automatic watch in that price range....

Cyma are mostly quartz now.....

How about CK, but its quartz too.

My personal favourite is Mondaine. Not sure if there are available in Singapore watch shops yet. They are very classic looking and should cost less than $1K (Though could be bordering 1K).

I'm leaning towards Ingersoll followed by BCBG and Titus.

Have you heard of Ingersoll as a brand?

Did a quick search and their watches are made by Zeon Ltd who also manufactures watches for Bench, Braun, Ed Hardy, Fiorucci, GANT, Lambretta, Mini, Obaku, Playboy, Replay, Westclox and RAF (Royal Air Force)

I'm hoping this watch can be used everyday for her office so I would also prefer something affordable (around the $500.00 range).

Ingersoll is on top of the list because I found the manufacturer of this watch. I almost cannot find any information on BCBG and Titus is very simple (looking).

I like Ingersoll too, judging from the appearance. But for quality, you can try Seiko. Not sure about the pricing though.

Got this for about $100.

bcbg.jpg

ice15 said:

Unless you're going to put in big money, forget automatic watches. The cheap ones just aren't accurate enough.

For automatic watches, anything less than a few thousand is in the cheap category. You can be out by a few minutes a day.

Those with a Chronograph rating should be your choice, not chronometer which is just another term for watch.

Additionally, if you don't wear it every day or every few days, resetting the time every time you use it is a pain. Some watches have time range which you should avoid when setting dates to avoid damaging the mechanism - more pain

To keep the mechanical watches working properly you need to send it for servicing - more pain.

A quartz watch is more practical.

Hmmm

Mechanical watch are a class above quartz really. You gotta like it to wear it.

Watch winders can keep them in motion when you are not wearing them.

If you willing to pour cash out, I would say chopard for ladies are really nice

can check out oris, balmain

I didn't know buying a ladies watch will be this hard!!!

Just visited a Swiss Watch store near our office.

Based on the seller's experience, getting an automatic watch for ladies is NOT practical since they do not wear the same watch everyday.

Automatic is great if worn everyday but ladies will never do that...

So her suggestion is just to get a battery operated watch...

I thought Ingersoll did compressors :D :D (I admit I am a boor and have little knowledge of such things :embrass: )

IMHO, automatic watches are well made; last a lifetime (and more) and are an accumulation of engineering/mechanical know-how.
Probably the most worth it to buy if you are going to spend some money buying a watch.

From my very limited knowledge.
Orient is rather cheap for automatic watches.
Tissot is a bit more expensive, but you should be able to find one from $500 to $1K.
There are also automatic watches that run on capacitor movement (eg. Seiko Kinetic) and solar (Citizen Eco-Drive). They are pretty nice too.
I prefer eco-drive ones, don't need movement to charge up. Just anywhere with normal window light will do (no need strong sunlight).

Last edited:
I thought Ingersoll did compressors :D :D (I admit I am a boor and have little knowledge of such things :embrass: )

IMHO, automatic watches are well made; last a lifetime (and more) and are an accumulation of engineering/mechanical know-how.
Probably the most worth it to buy if you are going to spend some money buying a watch.

From my very limited knowledge.
Orient is rather cheap for automatic watches.
Tissot is a bit more expensive, but you should be able to find one from $500 to $1K.
There are also automatic watches that run on capacitor movement (eg. Seiko Kinetic) and solar (Citizen Eco-Drive). They are pretty nice too.
I prefer eco-drive ones, don't need movement to charge up. Just anywhere with normal window light will do (no need strong sunlight).

where do I find Orient Watches here in Singapore?

Hard to advise.
Which watch is suitable depends a lot on the recipient, relationship and the why you are buying her a watch.

Example:
1. some people are happy with nice looking cheap unbranded watches.
2. some people are more brand conscious, and despise house brands like Titus.
3. some people will like the watch regardless of what brand/type it is, just because it is a gift from you.