Need help in travel photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenstars08

Nov 21, 2004
Singapore
Hi all,
~May I know what kind of wide angle lens do you all bring along for travel 28mm or (?)...?
~I only have widest lens 28mm equ. Is is enough or I need some thing wider?

Thanks in advance for all reply...:)

Yo dude

actually it all depends on wat kinda photos u wanna take. I'm using my EF10-22. Frankly speakin u shd learn to use watever lens u have. No pt buyin for one particular trip n not using it later.

Anyway never buy a new lens/equipment n bring it for ur trip cuz u'l never noe wat the performance is like.

Wat system r u using btw. I tink the kit lens shd be sufficient in my opinion. Unless u really wan that super wide look in ur pic.

the only way to find out for yourself is to try it yourself. only u can decide how wide is wide enough.

you can also try stitching 2 or more side-by-side shots to create a super-wide panorama. (make sure to use the same exposure etc. for the whole sequence)

Goldenstars08 said:
Hi all,
~May I know what kind of wide angle lens do you all bring along for travel 28mm or (?)...?

Pack light.

Only bring what you need.

Dun let weight bring down the mood of a good holiday.

Goldenstars08 said:
Hi all,

Whether it's wide enough is relative :)

The widest I'll bring, I think, will be my AFS 17-35, which will also be my walkaround lens :cheers:

I will like to differ from the rest. If this trip is worth it, I will not hesitate to buy a lens which i think is essential and will offer me something different. But give yourself some time to try out and get used to it, and better still try out someone else's before you take the plunge. But of course budget constraint will determine the final outcome. a wide angle can prove very useful at times, depending on where you go. For eg, in new york, my 28mm equi was very limited, and i regreted renting out my 12-24mm though. But that said, its true that you can still manage to capture nice pictures even with your current lens. Just take a look at pics in this link. The field of view in many of the pics would not have been possible without the 12-24.

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/stanchang

novello76 said:
If this trip is worth it, I will not hesitate to buy a lens which i think is essential and will offer me something different.

You are right that if the trip is "worth it", then getting the right equipment will be highly desirable.

But you forgot one important thing.

The fact is that Goldenstars08 asked this question shows that he/she is rather inexperienced, and knows little about travel photography. So how can he/she know how to use what lens for what circumstance?

student said:
You are right that if the trip is "worth it", then getting the right equipment will be highly desirable.

But you forgot one important thing.

The fact is that Goldenstars08 asked this question shows that he/she is rather inexperienced, and knows little about travel photography. So how can he/she know how to use what lens for what circumstance?

Which is why I suggested to him to try out someone's lens if possible, and thus being able to test out the field of view, performance etc. Anyway, for me, I would never have known how for eg a 12-24 performs and for what circumstance i can use it effectively, unless I have shot with it for a while. Lastly, that is why i refered him/her to the link which shows wonderful pictures with the type of field of view that I believe one would not have been able to capture without the 12-24lens (unless you have no spatial constraints, or do stiching). (Which was really the question he is asking of whether he needs a wider lens, and thus I shared with him my experience in New York and also the shots from the website)

AdyH said:
Yo dude

actually it all depends on wat kinda photos u wanna take. I'm using my EF10-22. Frankly speakin u shd learn to use watever lens u have. No pt buyin for one particular trip n not using it later.

Anyway never buy a new lens/equipment n bring it for ur trip cuz u'l never noe wat the performance is like.

Wat system r u using btw. I tink the kit lens shd be sufficient in my opinion. Unless u really wan that super wide look in ur pic.

I agree that the kit lens will suffice.

Wide-angle photography requires much skill to execute in terms of composition, else your image will appear cluttered and lack focus. I don't really encourage beginners to purchase extreme wide angle lenses since they rarely know how to use them effectively.

novello76 said:
I will like to differ from the rest. If this trip is worth it, I will not hesitate to buy a lens which i think is essential and will offer me something different. But give yourself some time to try out and get used to it, and better still try out someone else's before you take the plunge. But of course budget constraint will determine the final outcome. a wide angle can prove very useful at times, depending on where you go. For eg, in new york, my 28mm equi was very limited, and i regreted renting out my 12-24mm though. But that said, its true that you can still manage to capture nice pictures even with your current lens. Just take a look at pics in this link. The field of view in many of the pics would not have been possible without the 12-24.

Is reall a very good collection here...:bigeyes:
The tokina 12-24 is really wide...will consider this for super wide angle.
Thanks very much for sharing...;)

Just a pt to note. If u'r takin those stitch panorama photos, a super wide lens may not allow u to do so cuz of the distortion tat the lens produces. So take note of the widest focal length that u can do so using those stitching software.

AdyH said:
Just a pt to note. If u'r takin those stitch panorama photos, a super wide lens may not allow u to do so cuz of the distortion tat the lens produces. So take note of the widest focal length that u can do so using those stitching software.
if i've got super wide, i wont be needing stitching software rite? 28mm on digital is not wide at all. i've got the tokina 12-24, 24mm is essentially a 50% crop of the image taken at 12mm so if u really want [wide] then get a tokina/sigma/oem wide angle

roti_prata said:
if i've got super wide, i wont be needing stitching software rite? 28mm on digital is not wide at all. i've got the tokina 12-24, 24mm is essentially a 50% crop of the image taken at 12mm so if u really want [wide] then get a tokina/sigma/oem wide angle

Some people wan tat 360degress photo of the landscape. so that's where the stitching software comes in.

the photos at the website above, they look like they're taken out of some final fantasy picture. wow. looks too fantastic to be real though, as in.. it has kind-of a painted/photoshop feeling to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.