Not open for further replies.

izzio

Oct 15, 2008
Having a school tennis match this week.
Given the job to shoot.
Any advice on shooting a tennis match?
Shutter speed and other stuff.

Thanks.

Get a nice long lens, set it to A mode and about f8. Increase the ISO if your shutter speed is too slow (i.e. below 1/100) and have fun....

Having a school tennis match this week.
Given the job to shoot.
Any advice on shooting a tennis match?
Shutter speed and other stuff.

Thanks.

If you don't know the basics of capturing or freezing motion, you may want to reconsider taking the job.

Pro-looking camera does not make you a pro.

equipment and settings aside
you need to know the game and the players
to shoot well

...and the lighting conditions...

If you don't know the basics of capturing or freezing motion, you may want to reconsider taking the job.

Bro..be gentle la....he newbie...else wun post in newbie site...and we are all here to learn and/or help....relac la

anyway, he was humble enough to ask....

Bro..be gentle la....he newbie...else wun post in newbie site...and we are all here to learn and/or help....relac la

anyway, he was humble enough to ask....

Right, "bro". i.e acting like BIG brother behaving like as-if-they-know-all, giving sarcastic rubbish.

Advice: One must make sure NOTHING can be found on net THEN they can ask questions. But hey, what else cannot be found nowadays? Oh, newbie section should close then. :sticktong

Ouch! :)

Oh yes, and know the courts well. i.e. the location, where you can shoot from without interfering with the players or distracting them, else they might blame you for distracting them after they lose a point, etc.

Have fun! :)

This are my advice for taking sports, just undertook coverage for a series of schools competition and therefore I hope these tips will be helpful to you.

Shutter speed is definitely the main factor. For tennis, you will wanna keep the player sharp and nice, ball can be fuzzy, that's fine. Generally you will need nothing less than 200mm for tennis. I would say if you can get yourself a 300mm prime, get it. If not you are aiming for alot of resolution lost due to cropping.

I'm not sure your tennis game is done in the day or night ? If it's in the day, then shutter speed at anything more than 1/2000 should be no problem with the right exposure, if it's done in the evening or night, switch to manual mode, set your minimum shutter speed to at least 1/500. I'm not sure what camera you are using, assuming it's DX crop, I will say ISO 1000 is your max, or even less, ISO 640 for night time, if it's day time, go as low as possible and keep your shutter speed above 1/500 or increase more because light is sufficient. Aperture for night is always open to the widest. For day, you can close down to f4 if you prefer a sharper image or open widest if you want a nice DOF, but take note when you are wide open, make sure your shutter speed didn't exceed your camera limit which is either 1/4000 or 1/8000. Bring down your ISO to the minimum always in the day

Position. Most games you can stand behind, but not for tennis because you might get whack by the tennis ball. If you are really that lucky, your lens might just get hit by the ball and burst. So always stay alert. You get hit by the ball is just a bruise, your lens get hit means no show. In fact, I'm not sure if the referee will let u be in any of those positions at all. Will there be any A boards ? If so, go behind them :)

Okay bring a ladder there too. It will be nice if you can get those top down inclination shots above the net in the middle.

I mentioned earlier if you are doing night shots, you set your ISO to merely 1000 or less. Even with aperture wide open and but shutter at 1/640 in manual mode, you will get an underexposed image. Underexposure by 1 ~ 2 f/stops is fine. Just do a boost in software, I can assure you will like the image quality versus high ISO. Even if my D3, I do ISO1600 my max at f2.8 and ISO800. Remember that at high ISO, colour vibrance starts to lost and the amount of noise u get, it is much worse than noise you get when you do software exposure correction.

Focusing, switch to spot focusing, continuous mode and start tracking your players. You will need some practice to track nicely without too much straying all over the place due to breathing movement. If you have the VR lens, use it, it will be extremely helpful for telephotos.

For your shutter release mode in continuous, configure so that you use the AF-ON for focusing and shutter without focus will release. Because there are times you need to just press shutter without refocusing, that will be helpful. Use your thumb to control the focus and index finger to release.

Positioning is critical to getting good expression. While you are at the game, observe the player abit. You will notice some trend on the pattern, like how the player like to engage the opponent. When is the position he/she is moving into a particular motion to strike. These information helps you to predict the next motion he/she is going to act. Some photographers can keep both eyes open and one to look into the field without moving from the viewfinder, if you can, that's good, if you cannot then just relax and observe at times.

Sports most critical moments are actions, actions, and actions. Expressions are big winners for good pictures. So capture them in agony, joy and those stress moments and expressions.

Don't keep moving around just to capture all moments, you end up with none at times. Observe where they will move into, wait for them to be there. Then assume other positions that will allow you to capture different moments. Tennis generally is a slow game verus badminton and table tennis, floorball etc... So there are alot of time for you to get your moments.

Just relax and enjoy clicking away in Continuous Mode :)

2 cents worth.

This are my advice for taking sports, just undertook coverage for a series of schools competition and therefore I hope these tips will be helpful to you.

Shutter speed is definitely the main factor. For tennis, you will wanna keep the player sharp and nice, ball can be fuzzy, that's fine. Generally you will need nothing less than 200mm for tennis. I would say if you can get yourself a 300mm prime, get it. If not you are aiming for alot of resolution lost due to cropping.

I'm not sure your tennis game is done in the day or night ? If it's in the day, then shutter speed at anything more than 1/2000 should be no problem with the right exposure, if it's done in the evening or night, switch to manual mode, set your minimum shutter speed to at least 1/500. I'm not sure what camera you are using, assuming it's DX crop, I will say ISO 1000 is your max, or even less, ISO 640 for night time, if it's day time, go as low as possible and keep your shutter speed above 1/500 or increase more because light is sufficient. Aperture for night is always open to the widest. For day, you can close down to f4 if you prefer a sharper image or open widest if you want a nice DOF, but take note when you are wide open, make sure your shutter speed didn't exceed your camera limit which is either 1/4000 or 1/8000. Bring down your ISO to the minimum always in the day

Position. Most games you can stand behind, but not for tennis because you might get whack by the tennis ball. If you are really that lucky, your lens might just get hit by the ball and burst. So always stay alert. You get hit by the ball is just a bruise, your lens get hit means no show. In fact, I'm not sure if the referee will let u be in any of those positions at all. Will there be any A boards ? If so, go behind them :)

Okay bring a ladder there too. It will be nice if you can get those top down inclination shots above the net in the middle.

I mentioned earlier if you are doing night shots, you set your ISO to merely 1000 or less. Even with aperture wide open and but shutter at 1/640 in manual mode, you will get an underexposed image. Underexposure by 1 ~ 2 f/stops is fine. Just do a boost in software, I can assure you will like the image quality versus high ISO. Even if my D3, I do ISO1600 my max at f2.8 and ISO800. Remember that at high ISO, colour vibrance starts to lost and the amount of noise u get, it is much worse than noise you get when you do software exposure correction.

Focusing, switch to spot focusing, continuous mode and start tracking your players. You will need some practice to track nicely without too much straying all over the place due to breathing movement. If you have the VR lens, use it, it will be extremely helpful for telephotos.

For your shutter release mode in continuous, configure so that you use the AF-ON for focusing and shutter without focus will release. Because there are times you need to just press shutter without refocusing, that will be helpful. Use your thumb to control the focus and index finger to release.

Positioning is critical to getting good expression. While you are at the game, observe the player abit. You will notice some trend on the pattern, like how the player like to engage the opponent. When is the position he/she is moving into a particular motion to strike. These information helps you to predict the next motion he/she is going to act. Some photographers can keep both eyes open and one to look into the field without moving from the viewfinder, if you can, that's good, if you cannot then just relax and observe at times.

Sports most critical moments are actions, actions, and actions. Expressions are big winners for good pictures. So capture them in agony, joy and those stress moments and expressions.

Don't keep moving around just to capture all moments, you end up with none at times. Observe where they will move into, wait for them to be there. Then assume other positions that will allow you to capture different moments. Tennis generally is a slow game verus badminton and table tennis, floorball etc... So there are alot of time for you to get your moments.

Just relax and enjoy clicking away in Continuous Mode :)

2 cents worth.

Great advice and help rendered Bro !!...Kudos!~

oi don't dig up old thread leh... ;)
trying to score points or chiong post count?

(ooops, pot calling kettle black!)

oi don't dig up old thread leh... ;)
trying to score points or chiong post count?

(ooops, pot calling kettle black!)

No I won't be so bo liao. I am going to watch/photograph some tennis matches so searched and found this thread. It was imo very details and helpful tips from him, so just wanted to show some appreciation. :)

Anyway why do ppl need to 'score points or chiong post count'?

good luck with your tennis photography! :)

the 'score points/chiong post count' was just a joke :)

To some people, the post count is very important.

Anyway back to the topic. David Kwok has covered all the important points. Furthermore, he's got the experience under his belt, so I'd go with his advice.
What cam + lens combo you using for the match, and where will you be positioned?

Last edited:

Anyway back to the topic. David Kwok has covered all the important points. Furthermore, he's got the experience under his belt, so I'd go with his advice.
What cam + lens combo you using for the match, and where will you be positioned?

as a tennis player, you would want to be positioned at either end with a tele lens to shoot the other player in the front view...cause obviously they will look in your direction. maybe you can go to the side to take shots too. to get an idea of how tennis photography is like go to any grand slam website and see the gallery. very awesome angles and of course the shadows are nice too when the players are playing under the sun.

have covered a few school tennis matches

but the finals we were not allowed inside

you may want to push the gate and pop your head and cam in

or you may have to stay behind the grills to take the pics

any idea where the match is held at?

No worry. I will be bringing my d300 and 80-200 f2.8 but obviously that's a little short. Will try to borrow/rent a longer lens. My seats is at maybe front/side of the player across the net, first section so I believe that's not too far.

It's Malaysia Open, first ATP 250 event to be held there. Since it's an international match, obviously you are not allowed to move about after the game start, so I won't get much flexibility about positioning myself as an audience.

Also, it's going to be an indoor match, so not sure how adequate the lighting will be, to stop action I think I need 1/600 1/1000? Also the players will move a lot so it might be tricky if the DOF is too shallow(if I use too large aperture to get more light). So need to try and balance there.

wow, ATP and here we thought you are shooting for some school event...lol

so who are the big names?

No worry. I will be bringing my d300 and 80-200 f2.8 but obviously that's a little short. Will try to borrow/rent a longer lens. My seats is at maybe front/side of the player across the net, first section so I believe that's not too far.

It's Malaysia Open, first ATP 250 event to be held there. Since it's an international match, obviously you are not allowed to move about after the game start, so I won't get much flexibility about positioning myself as an audience.

Also, it's going to be an indoor match, so not sure how adequate the lighting will be, to stop action I think I need 1/600 1/1000? Also the players will move a lot so it might be tricky if the DOF is too shallow(if I use too large aperture to get more light). So need to try and balance there.

I think D300's continuous auto-focus with the 80-200 f/2.8 should be pretty fast enough.
1/600 seems kinda fast for me. Not too sure, as I've yet to try tennis photography. Just my gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.