Need help in shooting

Victorlim

Aug 1, 2012
Hougang
Hi guys,

I need some advice in taking photographs in dark areas, like club.

Like what are the things i need to take note? Especially on the settings of the cameras.

TTL mode on flash is it suffice?

My gears:
D7100
D610
SB800
50mm 1.8G for D610
17-50mm F3.5 - 5.6 (crop lens) for D7100

One strategy is to use Auto ISO with the minimum shutter speed at your shake factor with whatever camera/lens (the lowest shutter speed you can handhold without shake blur) and max ISO at highest that you can tolerate. In your case I would use the fast fifty (excellent lens btw) in said situation with either camera.

Last edited:
Both cameras have scence mode, you can use that for a start, party mode.

One strategy is to use Auto ISO with the minimum shutter speed at your shake factor with whatever camera/lens (the lowest shutter speed you can handhold without shake blur) and max ISO at highest that you can tolerate. In your case I would use the fast fifty (excellent lens btw) in said situation with either camera.

Thanks for the advices! But is it advisable to use manual, aperture mode or the shutter (Speed) mode?

I think I will fix my ISO 1600 as I don't want any grainy photos.

Thanks for the advices! But is it advisable to use manual, aperture mode or the shutter (Speed) mode?

I think I will fix my ISO 1600 as I don't want any grainy photos.

Understand the exposure triangle first, than decide which aspect of the exposure triangle you want to put more weight on it by selecting the preferred exposure mode.

I'd suggest you play around and explore your camera's capability first in your own room. Then you can know what your camera's setting works best in getting the best picture for such environment. Agreeing to Nikonzen, it's good to use your 50 1.8 as it let's in more light with the aperture you can go but you have to see what you're snapping too as you might need a zoom lens for this instead of a prime. Cheers :)

Understand the exposure triangle first, than decide which aspect of the exposure triangle you want to put more weight on it by selecting the preferred exposure mode.

Agree with the boss. If I remember correctly many 'club' photographers regularly use ISO 6,400 and much higher because of the low light levels. Something just have to be sacrificed when you don't have enough light (someone said that everyone can notice a blurred photograph, however only photographers notice ISO noise - moral of the story you might want to sacrifice ISO to get an acceptable shutter speed)

Flash will probably kill the ambient light, unless that's the effect you would like to achieve.

Thanks guys!

Appreciate it!

Have a great Deepavali!

Remember that dark parts are dark parts.
The camera does not know this.
It will only try to set the exposure towards mid-grey tone.
In other words, it will try to increase exposure in whatever way it is allowed (via ISO; shutter speed, aperture) to make the dark areas become grey.
The usual result is that ISO goes up a lot and/or shutter speed slows down too much for hand holding.

In a photo, often, you are only interested in the subject and not the dark areas that much.
So if your subject is lit by some sort of illumination, you can get away by leaving the dark areas dark.
That often can be achieved by setting a -ev compensation for the exposure.

Doable even if its a small sensor ILC
9406760969_955b737870_z.jpg

Warrior girl - Kabukicho, Tokyo; Q7; Prime 01

9418347613_eb75407dd1_c.jpg

Giant Robots and pretty ladies; Robot Restaurant; Kabukicho; Pentax Q7; 01 prime

Last edited:
If you might use flash take a look at this. Particularly relevant to the situation you describe IMO TS. Another option (like flash if possible) is monopod or tripod.

RAW would allow you to change ev as bro JK states I think (I am jpeg guy only just now beginning to play with RAW files - so maybe this way somehow different than in camera exposure compensation :dunno: ) Mind you we are talking only a few stops.

Thank you bro your question helps expand my mind too. :)

Last edited:
Am not sure if my sample is akin to Bro Nikonzen's shared link Dragging the shutter : Balancing fill flash with ambient light
but the specs are quite similar 1/50 @ f5.0 ISO 800 lit with Metz 60CT4

8338465974_82520e27c8_z_d.jpg