need help in ND filter.

Jin80s

Feb 10, 2010
hi guys. any1 here can intro some good GND n ND filter? like where to buy n not tat x. :)

n will be using it with DA 12-24mm. want a filter tat wont have Vingetting.

thanks for the help guys.

good gnd - lee, singh ray, hi-tech.

price: very expensive.

what i use - tian ya with cokin p series filter holder (uwa version)

price - very cheap

nd filter, depends on what strength you want, for strong nd filter (9 - 10 stops), either hoya nd400 or B+W nd110 will do. sad to say, there are no real cheap versions. there is the fader nd, but it will not work well on UWA.

vignetting will not happen when using nd filter only, or gnd filter only (with right uwa filter holder). stacking will cause vignetting, is pretty unavoidable unless you buy lee (filter holder set + gnd filters alone can easily use to buy a good lens).

these are the facts, best to read up more yourself, as this is just a quick sound bite of the entire market of filters out there.

if u shoot often and serious enough... go for lee/hitech, yes very expensive, can buy another UWA liao... but its does what it suppose to do...since u use it often, its utilized and not wasted...

if u only want to try try, shoot once a while, i dunno if u want to spend that much...

tianya very cheap, but give a color cast i dunno how to correct... :dunno:

nd filter, depends on what strength you want, for strong nd filter (9 - 10 stops), either hoya nd400 or B+W nd110 will do. sad to say, there are no real cheap versions. there is the fader nd, but it will not work well on UWA.

got... welding glass plate, 12 stops $15 only

but the IQ is not good haha.. but quite fun to play with, but no time to try out very much so far

p979213474-4.jpg

got... welding glass plate, 12 stops $15 only

but the IQ is not good haha.. but quite fun to play with, but no time to try out very much so far

p979213474-4.jpg

Wow... How come your welding glass does not have serious tint? The welding glass I ordered for my workers have a serious green tint.

Wow... How come your welding glass does not have serious tint? The welding glass I ordered for my workers have a serious green tint.

I think there was a super green tint, but I shot raw and PP-ed like hell to try to make the tint less obvious. ;)

all LE and filter sifus here, can organise a "learning" outing for us or not? Instead of the monthly gathering, we can call this the master outing and only limited number of participants. :think:

i humbly offer myself as the first participant :bsmilie:

master flowerpot and nightmare86

88. seefei

i can share briefly sometime - let's not give it any special name or what not.. after all, long exposure is not hard to do, it is quite routine after some time, as flowerpot says.

maybe can just help to short circuit the learning curve, since i had gone through a lot of headaches when taking LE photos. am sure darrrrrr and hjbyeo and flowerpot can easily impart their knowledge also, maybe they can either have something, or share as well during the same session.

problem is location and weather these days.

maybe when the weather is cleared up, i'll create a thread. there is no need to restrict any number of participants, anyone who is pentaxian and happy to come can come.. i just hope you come not because you wish to meet someone controversial, or what... but really to take away something (i hope), then that would make the short session meaningful.

i think the only thing really required is tripod.. and suitable lens to try out the filter if you don't have it (best if you have). 77mm/58mm thread size will do, since ir filter can essentially sub as nd filter. (just that colours are wonky)

will put up the details when the rainy season goes away (if it ever does).

Last edited:
... i just hope you come not because you wish to meet someone controversial, or what...

wahahha... i like that!!!! u getting more cute... no wonder u say can call u cute boy...

:)

i can share that the dark frame subtraction noise reduction which doubles the time needed is VERY FRUSTRATING.

i can share that the dark frame subtraction noise reduction which doubles the time needed is VERY FRUSTRATING.

second that, especially when you have evidence from other brands (who can turn it off) that it doesn't really help much for exposures less than 4 minutes.

i can share briefly sometime - let's not give it any special name or what not.. after all, long exposure is not hard to do, it is quite routine after some time, as flowerpot says.

maybe can just help to short circuit the learning curve, since i had gone through a lot of headaches when taking LE photos. am sure darrrrrr and hjbyeo and flowerpot can easily impart their knowledge also, maybe they can either have something, or share as well during the same session.

maybe when the weather is cleared up, i'll create a thread. there is no need to restrict any number of participants, anyone who is pentaxian and happy to come can come.. i just hope you come not because you wish to meet someone controversial, or what... but really to take away something (i hope), then that would make the short session meaningful.

i think the only thing really required is tripod.. and suitable lens to try out the filter if you don't have it (best if you have). 77mm/58mm thread size will do, since ir filter can essentially sub as nd filter. (just that colours are wonky)

:) will sure sign up

Thanks for the info. i f there's a outing on GND n ND filter. sign me in. :) anyway for sat outing i only able to join after 1pm. got half day work. :(

Thanks for the info. i f there's a outing on GND n ND filter. sign me in. :) anyway for sat outing i only able to join after 1pm. got half day work. :(

yah, count me in too, just that i'll need to go buy the filter 1st. been very interested in LE shots

second that, especially when you have evidence from other brands (who can turn it off) that it doesn't really help much for exposures less than 4 minutes.

But it forces the user to think hard before hitting that remote shutter. Which is good also. Trains discipline.

i would like to join too!!!...
waiting for next paid day and buy the tian ya set

Only Pentaxian can join? Can a Canonian join? :angel:
I am interested in learning more abt ND filters too before I take the plunge to buy :sweatsm: