Need Help In Indoor Photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenstars08

Nov 21, 2004
Singapore
Hi all,

Help my school to shoot an in door event. Found that the subject is well expose but the blackground is very under expose or totally dark. My setting was with flash, F/8, Speed:1/100...:embrass:

Can anyone advise on what is your camera setting and lens used in indoor photography (Eg. Group photo, Singal person photo)?
Pics with setting are most appreciated...:)

Thanks in advance for all your kind help...:heart:

Goldenstars08 said:
Hi all,

Help my school to shoot an in door event. Found that the subject is well expose but the blackground is very under expose or totally dark. My setting was with flash, F/8, Speed:1/100...:embrass:

Can anyone advise on what is your camera setting and lens used in indoor photography (Eg. Group photo, Singal person photo)?
Pics with setting are most appreciated...:)

Thanks in advance for all your kind help...:heart:

why use f8? wats ur iso?

I'm not a very good indoor shooter myself... but one trick I employ is to over-expose by 1 stop and reduce flash EV by same amount.

You may need one or two slaves to light up your background. Turn on all the lights in that room if it helps. Meter your ambient. I suggest that you drag the shutter a bit. Use a sturdy tripod and cable release. I normally use f5.6 to f11 depending on group size. Rate your film 1-stop below (eg ISO400 to 200)

even with f8, and with speed of 1/50 or 1/60 sec, you could get almost an extra stop of light for the background. if you were shooting with a dslr, you could have done a preview there.

I suspect you were shooting in program or full auto mode.

If you want the background to be properly exposed, switch to Av, Tv or even manual mode.
If you're using a compact cam switch to night portrait.

Sadly unless you have a large aperture lens you're gonna need a tripod to prevent camera shake, cos the shutter speed's gonna be around 1/2 to 1 sec on slower lenses.

Also 1/100s is TOO fast for indoor shots. 1/60 or 1/30 are the common values used for events.

photobum's teaching you the pro method which is to use multiple flahes to light up the scene. I doubt you have that sort of equipment, do you? Haha cos if you did you prob. won't be asking this qn in the 1st place.

External flash for regular indoor shots, switch to manual. Try 1/60 or 1/40 see which one gives you the ambient lighting you want, then for aperture try f/4-5.6, nothing too high, ISO 400-800. The flash should then expose for the subject/foreground.

solarii said:
photobum's teaching you the pro method which is to use multiple flahes to light up the scene. I doubt you have that sort of equipment, do you? Haha cos if you did you prob. won't be asking this qn in the 1st place.

I believe most people have more than one flash unit. When I was a hobbyist 20 years ago, I had 3 units (1 Nikon and 2 Vivitars). You do not need an expensive or powerful flash to perform this task.

Cheers!

solarii said:
I suspect you were shooting in program or full auto mode.

If you want the background to be properly exposed, switch to Av, Tv or even manual mode.
If you're using a compact cam switch to night portrait.

Sadly unless you have a large aperture lens you're gonna need a tripod to prevent camera shake, cos the shutter speed's gonna be around 1/2 to 1 sec on slower lenses.

Also 1/100s is TOO fast for indoor shots. 1/60 or 1/30 are the common values used for events.

I using M mode.

Goldenstars08 said:
I use DSLR
ISO 400.

if too dark, set iso 800, f4 to f5.6, speed about 50.

You can try ISO 800, 1/30s, f5.6~f8, camera on manual mode, if have to much movement, use a higher like 1/60 onward.

Sometime the ambient is too dark, there is noway for you to lower you shutter speed to capture it without risking hand shake, so just leave it. And sometime if the ambient is too strong, remember to dial up the speed.

I believe you are talking about taking pictures on the fly, so just see preview, understand the problem, adjust the setting accordingly, when during event, one setting may not suitable for all situation.

Hope this help.

I was the so-called "company photographer" for my company's dinner and dance last weekend. First time shooting for so many people so I was very nervous and excited. I choose to use ISO 1600 because I was afraid the pictures would turn out to be all blur if I used a lower ISO. So I sacrifice quality for better sharp pictures, else if all pictures turn out blur, I'd think I loose my job by now ;p .

I was usin Aperture Priority mode, so the shutter speed was automatically set. During the photoshots, the shutter speed was as slow as 1/15, maybe the lightings were too dark. I had to use handheld as I do not have much equipments on me (no $$). The pictures turn out to be quite good, although the inbuild flash have made some people's face too blue :sweat: So I play around with the Flash EV to get a better flash exposure.

Anyways here's my settings, well I'm quite new to this so I may be very wrong
Camera: Canon 350D
Lense: Kit lense
Mode: Aperture Priority
Aperture: 3.5
Shutter Speed: around 1/15 - 1/30
ISO: 1600 (I know this is too high :sweat: )
Flash: inbuild flash (suggest external flash, of course) Play around with the Flash EV so as not to overexpose or destroy people's faces ;p

Oh yah, steady hand is the most important factor, so must train up!

threadstarter, sounds like u need to use fill flash. if ur on a nikon with sb600/800 that would be ttl bl mode. on the camera, u can set flash to slow sync and bounce the flash off the celling

photobum said:
I believe most people have more than one flash unit. When I was a hobbyist 20 years ago, I had 3 units (1 Nikon and 2 Vivitars). You do not need an expensive or powerful flash to perform this task.

Cheers!

Hmm...ok. Most people I know have one, including myself.

jimbok said:
I was the so-called "company photographer" for my company's dinner and dance last weekend. First time shooting for so many people so I was very nervous and excited. I choose to use ISO 1600 because I was afraid the pictures would turn out to be all blur if I used a lower ISO. So I sacrifice quality for better sharp pictures, else if all pictures turn out blur, I'd think I loose my job by now ;p .

I was usin Aperture Priority mode, so the shutter speed was automatically set. During the photoshots, the shutter speed was as slow as 1/15, maybe the lightings were too dark. I had to use handheld as I do not have much equipments on me (no $$). The pictures turn out to be quite good, although the inbuild flash have made some people's face too blue :sweat: So I play around with the Flash EV to get a better flash exposure.

Anyways here's my settings, well I'm quite new to this so I may be very wrong
Camera: Canon 350D
Lense: Kit lense
Mode: Aperture Priority
Aperture: 3.5
Shutter Speed: around 1/15 - 1/30
ISO: 1600 (I know this is too high :sweat: )
Flash: inbuild flash (suggest external flash, of course) Play around with the Flash EV so as not to overexpose or destroy people's faces ;p

Oh yah, steady hand is the most important factor, so must train up!

ISO 1600 is generally considered high (400-800 is the norm) but on a 350D can produce useable shots. Depends on what you what the images for. Its ok if you want it for a newsletter or something that requires only small snaphots. If you want prints larger than 4R the noise may be obvious.

For events I find it easier to use Manual, or Shutter priority if the lighting is consistent. Usually won't need that much DOF unless you're taking group shots.

solarii said:
Hmm...ok. Most people I know have one, including myself.

The dedication in this trade shows in most of you.

The word photography means "light writing" in Greek. What good it is when there is no light or not enough light.

Cheers!

if the ceiling is low you might want to try bouncing the flash of the ceiling, with a bounce card to fill the shadows on the faces.

Also iso 400-800
shutter speed as slow as you can hand hold
aperture : big, as long as there is enough DOF

or as photobum mentioned get another flash to light up the bg or ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.