Need help in getting my first lens!

Wan Ling

Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

I'm pretty new to ClubSnap as well as photography so I need help from you guys.

I'll be getting an Eos 550d as well as a EF 50mm f/1.8 lens but other than the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens, I don't know whether should I get my camera with Kit 1 (EF s18-55) , Kit 2 (EF s18-135) or just get the body alone and go with EF S55-250 IS lens.

The price I got quoted for kit 1 is $1199 and kit 2 is $1499 from M S Colour. For the EF S55-250 IS lens, it should be around $400+.

Thank you in advance for helping me. :)

kit 2 i would say.. but go and test yourself, see which one you prefer.. 55-200 doesn't cover wide..

landscape and objects? Honestly I can't really tell as what I see is nice, I'll shoot :x

Why the choice of 50mm F1.8?
I would recommend Body alone couple with Tamron 17-50mm non-vc.

Have been reading on lens review and 50mm F1.8 has been voted one of the best starter lens. Since there's a online warranty promo going on now where I can get this lens at $60, so I thought of getting it since it's not that expensive. :)

kit 2 might be a good choice for you as it covers relatively wide and relatively tele and also because you have no idea what you will be shooting.

if you are planning to mainly shoot friends at casual gatherings, getting the body + the tamron 17-50 f2.8 (suggested by Flaky) is also not a bad choice.

Go for kit 2 . . . :)

And welcome to CS . . . ;)

i would go for kit 2 for sure.you can always use more range.

Ask them if can customise body + other lens and sell as their 'in house' kit or not. Depending on your budget if you want a general purpose lens then there are other zoom lens worth to take a look too like tamron's 18-270.

Otherwise get kit 2 + 50 f1.8, no use for 50mm? Sell it to offset your cost.

Have been reading on lens review and 50mm F1.8 has been voted one of the best starter lens. Since there's a online warranty promo going on now where I can get this lens at $60, so I thought of getting it since it's not that expensive. :)

And where did you get this promo? Sorry if I'm uninformed.

I will do this,

get the body only, buy the 50mm f1.8 @ $60. Buy a f2.8 lens & forget the kit lens.....

what do u like to shoot?

landscape and objects? Honestly I can't really tell as what I see is nice, I'll shoot :x

First you can take a look at Digital camera lens buying guide
These two genre have pretty different requirement.

Another option you may want to consider is getting the body and a 18-200 to pair with it. The 18-200 covers from wide angle to a pretty high zoom. Decent iq. Then you might want to consider other lens when you are sure of what you like to shoot.

Wow looks like canon 550d's price drop again! :D

starting out with just a 50mm 1.8 maybe a steep learning curve.. but if you are prepared to take that path, then you will be much more rewarded..

i used my 50mm as my kit lens for pretty long time..

if you're not prepared to struggle at the begining, then i would suggest to stick to the really basic and lowest cost option... this ensures that you first capital outlay is not too heavy.. and it will not be a *'unexperienced' purchase...

*notice i say 'unexperienced' becos you may have heard or read, or even here so many people giving their own reccomendations is all the lens that they prefer.. but what they prefer may not be what you prefer, or to the extent of not even what you require...

you need to give yourself some time to explore photography before knowing what you will like, what you require etc etc.. and the best way to do that is to shoot... so just buy the basic kit lens, which will allow you to cover that... and as you develop ur interest and your own style.. you will narrow ur preferences and know what you require... for me, i prefer prime lens, so i still reluctant to spend $$ to buy a zoom for my current camera..

why spend so much money buy this buy that.. just buy one or two can le..

I second enzeru21's suggestion. Get the Kit 1 and the additional 50/1.8 lens.
Use the 18-55 lens as much as possible, till you find out in what way it limits your photography. Then ask: Is it really the lens that's the limiting factor?
When you're convinced that the lens is due for an 'upgrade', simply sell it off cheap-cheap (you won't lose THAT much) and then buy the lens that you want.

Why the choice of 50mm F1.8?
I would recommend Body alone couple with Tamron 17-50mm non-vc.

A satisfied user of this built!

I also got a 50mm F1.8 Prime lens.

Should get you pretty well started on your journey!

50mm f1.8 is a great value for performance lens. Small and compact. I previously had something like the Kit 2 setup with a 50mm prime.

Ryan