Need help in getting a DIgital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lizaally

:rbounce: Hi I'm Ally. Need help I'm a newbie. I intend on buying a digital camera but very confused and unsure which to buy. Went to Sim Lim this afternnon to make some enquiries and here is some that I got.

Not to buy Nikon but to go for Sony, Panasonic or Canon only, reason being Nikon is made in Indonesia and fuji china etc..... The one the guys strongly recommends is Panasonic Limus for $550. He mentined it take better picture even at night plus got recording with original sound and balc and white feature. Is this really a good buy and a good camera. I don't really like the look but if it's take good pic I will get it. My budget is between $400 to $700.

A friend also wanted to sell his Canon powershot 50 for $650 is this a good buy and should I get a second hand camera?

Thanks

Ally

What's your budget? Are you just using the camera for social events, or would you be venturing a little into photography? Any other special criterias? (eg must be small & light, look cute etc)

The answers will narrow down the choices you have. BTW, which shop did you go to in Sim Lim? Some shops will be out to lighten your purse ... hope you went to Alan Photos :D

The people are nicer and the price is fair and reasonable.

My budget is $400 to $700 and I'm only doing social photo taking too busy to go into photography.

ally

Originally posted by espn
Canon A40/60/70

I find it a bit odd when I see yr quote that says I'm a nikonion! Shouldn't u be recommending Nikon instead? I kinnda like the Nikon coolpix 3.2 megapix outlook it's very compact and rugged but the pic taken and shown to me comparing to panasonic is terrible. Is that the real truth?

Ally

The Canon series is selling like hotcakes, and there are other brands to consider too. Did you check the link that megaweb posted? It has some very good pointers that would help in the search process. With that, just go to Alan Photo or Cathy Photo, and they will set you up with a camera to suit your needs. If you want, there are CS-members who can help you during the next SEED session to get what you want at CP.

Originally posted by Lizaally
I find it a bit odd when I see yr quote that says I'm a nikonion! Shouldn't u be recommending Nikon instead? I kinnda like the Nikon coolpix 3.2 megapix outlook it's very compact and rugged but the pic taken and shown to me comparing to panasonic is terrible. Is that the real truth?

Ally

I would but I think you will end up comparing prices and ask why not Canon instead. The CPs are slightly more expensive, but stylish, I can recommend them but I think budget and features wise I feel the Canon A70 is good for you, I'm near die-hard fan of Nikon, but not to the extend I'll push for Nikon for everything.

I find that if you're just photoshooting at gatherings/snapshots, CP2100/3100/2500/3500/SQ would be good for you. I feel that the features offered by Canon in their consumer level of products is good enough to be noticed and acknowledged.

If you don't mind ... how about getting the CoolPix SQ? :D

:rbounce: Hi I'm Ally. Need help I'm a newbie. I intend on buying a digital camera but very confused and unsure which to buy. Went to Sim Lim this afternnon to make some enquiries and here is some that I got.

Not to buy Nikon but to go for Sony, Panasonic or Canon only, reason being Nikon is made in Indonesia and fuji china etc..... The one the guys strongly recommends is Panasonic Limus for $550. He mentined it take better picture even at night plus got recording with original sound and balc and white feature. Is this really a good buy and a good camera. I don't really like the look but if it's take good pic I will get it. My budget is between $400 to $700.

A friend also wanted to sell his Canon powershot 50 for $650 is this a good buy and should I get a second hand camera?

Thanks

Ally

Is it Canon powershot S50 ? If I not wrong, a new one should be above $850 ? I used to own a S45, not bad, has manual controls but just that it doesn't have hotshoe for external flash and doesn't support attachment of lens/filters. Besides these 2 disadvantages, the image quality is good.

Originally posted by majere2sg
Is it Canon powershot S50 ? If I not wrong, a new one should be above $850 ? I used to own a S45, not bad, has manual controls but just that it doesn't have hotshoe for external flash and doesn't support attachment of lens/filters. Besides these 2 disadvantages, the image quality is good.

She only wants to shoot shoot :) I feel a consumer Canon camera is good enough for her, $500 for Canon A70, + $70 for another 128MB CF. Still got $80 left for battery charger + Sanyo's 2100mahs :)

:bsmilie: Thank u all for the help, hope to get the camera asap and could hang around here more often. By the way have the number to Allan photp and the other ones at AMK?

Ally

I like Nikon 3100 looks and the SQ but is it really better than canon or the panasonic?

Ally

I wouldn't really suggest getting the SQ due to the poor battery life. It only lasts about 20 pics w/o flash, 10 pics with flash :dunno:

Okay, what about this a guy frm another forum just offer me $600 for Canon Ixus V3 is this a good camera too? And is the price ok, he has it for 3months and it came with the free training.

Ixus V3 and A70 which one is better?

Ally

Okay, what about this a guy frm another forum just offer me $600 for Canon Ixus V3 is this a good camera too? And is the price ok, he has it for 3months and it came with the free training.

Ally

no !
According to this website
http://reflecx.netfirms.com/cameraprices.html
A new canon ixus v3 cost only $598 at mscolor (maybe excluding gst)

Ally

V3 is more shapely portable in pockets, A70 has more manual controls to play with like shutter and aperture. I would prefer the V3 if I'm just supposed to go shooting casually, like snapshots and such. And if I'm going to pick up photography basics, I would choose the A70.

I like Nikon 3100 looks and the SQ but is it really better than canon or the panasonic?

Ally

*beep* Taboo. Never compare between brands by saying better or not. I'd say the Canon and Nikon are on par. Like I said go down touch and you'll realise what you like.

Originally posted by ChinShiong
I wouldn't really suggest getting the SQ due to the poor battery life. It only lasts about 20 pics w/o flash, 10 pics with flash :dunno:

20??? Are you sure? 20 shots is worse then a film camera leh. Even a SLR with a 2CR5 can last about 10rolls+

Originally posted by espn
20??? Are you sure? 20 shots is worse then a film camera leh. Even a SLR with a 2CR5 can last about 10rolls+

Yeah I know it sounds horrible, but I got that info from this thread. :dunno:

What is yr opinin for Minolta Dimage Xi? Is it true this is the model the charlie angels movie used? Is this a good camera?

Ally

Status
Not open for further replies.