Need help in DSLR Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

garytanbw

Apr 4, 2004
Hi guys,
I am planning to get a Digital Slr Camera as I find very costly after my trip from new zealand having to develop so many rolls of flims. Any recommendations? Canon 300D or Nikon D70 or any other recommendation? Please advises........ I know Canon eat up the lens by a ratio of 1.6, but wat about D70? Really need help man.... And where is a better place to buy the camera at a better price?

d70 is 1.5x

decide heads=canon/nikon
then toss a coin

My goodness... Toss coins??? sigh.... I headache man... Roughly what is the market price of this 2 models?

depends on wat u need and wat u are willing to pay rite....its very easy for ppl to suggest...but end of day u have to choose yourself... personally i feel tt d70 is better....coz i nikon purist....but u may not need the functions...or under certain conditions more applicable to your shoots the canon will turn out better...best is try both out or surf the net for photos tt ppl take with both cameras...n see which one u like better....

anyway, D70 kit is 2288 at jurong point harvey norman....if pay by credit card..can pay 24 months interest free installment..if ya credit card is citibank ...can go up to 36 months..

good luck ya..

I say 300D better. :devil:
Coz I use Canon. ;)

But seriously, you should toss a coin, coz no one else can decide for you, except yourself.

garytanbw said:
Hi guys,
I am planning to get a Digital Slr Camera as I find very costly after my trip from new zealand having to develop so many rolls of flims. Any recommendations? Canon 300D or Nikon D70 or any other recommendation? Please advises........ I know Canon eat up the lens by a ratio of 1.6, but wat about D70? Really need help man.... And where is a better place to buy the camera at a better price?

If really only two choice would go for the D70 instead of 300D.

More choice will be a second hand 10D, S2 pro or D100.

well, actually D70 and 300D are amongst the same league.. BUT

D70 multiplier is 1.5, whereas 300D is 1.6 - This is more obvious in wide angle, when you need the extra mm, then you'll know the pain. :D but for general case, 1.5 or 1.6 don't really make a big difference.

D70 don't have vertical grip, whereas 300D have. the grip can facilitate you in taking portrait shots.. in fact very useful. but i have absolutely NO idea if nikon will make 1 for D70 in the future though.. :)

and for lense.. Hehehe.. this is the most interesting and agonizing part. Optic wise, i believe both are just as good. but nikon covers more range, especially at the wide angles. canon have quite a limited range. For the price of the lenses, Nikon will be more expensive than canon at the same focal length.

So, decide which path you want to take, because you might only have this chance to pick your brand. if you constantly buy new lenses, you'll find it a hassle to switch system. it's really really troublesome (and VERY expensive) to start all over again.

There's a lot to consider when buying a SLR or DSLR. Other then the body alone, You'll have to look at all the lens and accessories available to you that comes with the system and also their price. This is so to better prepare yourself when you want to upgrade later on cos once you're with a system, it's difficult to get use to the other system and also costly to switch system.

Of cos a Nikon user might say that the D70 is better and a Canon user might counter and the debate goes on and on.

To me, the D70 and the 300v are the same maybe with slight variation here and there. One thing to note is that the D70 is newer but I bet that canon will be coming out something real soon. It's a constant battle between this 2 giants and we, the consumer, end up with better cameras. :D

The reason why I've decided to choose Nikon the other time is because most of my friends are using nikon system, so easier for me to borrow stuffs, though I seldom use it. (stressful) :D

Hope this gives you another point of view.
Cheers

AReality said:
But seriously, you should toss a coin, coz no one else can decide for you, except yourself.
icon_jammin.gif

we can give you 10 reasons to choose D70 over 300D
and another 10 reasons to choose 300D over D70

so why bother?

just
1)toss a coin
2)buy
3)shoot

Alternatively, drop by Spinelli's at Peninsula Hotel and have a go at all the Nikon DSLRs available there including the D70 and some face face chat on why D70 ;)

espn said:
Alternatively, drop by Spinelli's at Peninsula Hotel and have a go at all the Nikon DSLRs available there including the D70 and some face face chat on why D70 ;)
Heh... or you can have a go at bah chang also.... ;) @espn

Azure said:
Heh... or you can have a go at bah chang also.... ;) @espn

Azure :kok: :nono: Never ever mention the bah zhang :devil:

Sure, let me know if you do drop by, I don't mind showing up with my bah zhang :thumbsup:

Come come... join the Nikon council for a drink and talk session.

espn said:
Sure, let me know if you do drop by, I don't mind showing up with my bah zhang :thumbsup:
:D ylyl
On a more serious note - one good way is to go meet up with folks with the particular breed/model of DSLR you are looking at and to get a hands-on feel of how each works and handles. Then you can make a more informed and less-likely-to-regret decision. Like the "Nikon Council" grouping I believe has possible most Nikon-mount DSLRs amongst them (D100, D2H, D70, S2 Pro). The same goes for Canon users.

What is I-TTL and D-TTL flash? I don't understand. The dpreview users of D70 say the bad thing for D70 is that no D-TTL but a I-TTL instead.

garytanbw said:
What is I-TTL and D-TTL flash? I don't understand. The dpreview users of D70 say the bad thing for D70 is that no D-TTL but a I-TTL instead.

A-TTL, E-TTL, E-TTL 2, I-TTL, D-TTL.
yummy... alphabet soup

they are just different flash systems
can't really help u explain I-TTL and D-TTL though
i leave that to the Nikkon High Council

Anymore TTL for me to eat?

garytanbw said:
Hi guys,

What film camera are you using now? ;)

Good places to buy are Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza, Alan Photo at Sim Lim Square, MS Color at Ang Mo Kio, amongst others.

Me usinigg Minolta 505

cyrilng said:
What film camera are you using now? ;)

Good places to buy are Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza, Alan Photo at Sim Lim Square, MS Color at Ang Mo Kio, amongst others.

Guess I am goiing for the D70... Canon 300d no flash compensation one is it? what does this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.