Need Help in Cropping Pics for Printing. Thks~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scramblur11

Dec 9, 2004
Sembawang
Hi ppl....Got some newbie's enquires abt cropping so hope u can help.. thks in advance~! :)

I understand that I need to crop the pictures to the 2:3 ratio 1st b4 I send it for printing? Coz if nt there will be some cut off from the top and bottom?

How do I go abt doing it? I currently got Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the supplied ArcSoft Photoimpression 5. I try using the arcsoft to crop / constraint it to 4x6...the pic appear the same but the file size drop from 1.2M to 700K only...is this the correct way I go abt doing it? :dunno:

I find tat arcsoft seem to be more user friendly and easier to use as compared to PS... so is using arcsoft more than enough for simple cropping purpose?

Thanks again for any advice or help rendered~!! :D

Don't know about ArcSoft, but in PS, click on your crop tool, key in the dimensions of the picture you want and make sure the resolution is set to 300.

Perhaps you could check if the resolution on you ArcSoft is at 72 or 300?

For printing, it has to be set at 300.

Cheers!

Feinwerkbau said:
Don't know about ArcSoft, but in PS, click on your crop tool, key in the dimensions of the picture you want and make sure the resolution is set to 300.

Perhaps you could check if the resolution on you ArcSoft is at 72 or 300?

For printing, it has to be set at 300.

Cheers!

For arcsoft, I can just choose 4x6 and just resize....neber ask me to set the dpi leh...seem very easy to use but nt sure abt the quality

If I use PS, do I have to resize to 1600x1200 at 300dpi?....the pic I take at 2592x1944 resolution leh...if I resize will the quality drop?...

thanks again~!

Any resizing of Jpeg files will cause some degree of degradation.

Whether or not you will be able to see it in prints depend on many different factors, so it all depends on how you manage the file.

If you do not shoot in RAW, you might explore the option of immediately doing a full-sized crop (I usually do 12" x 8" 300) and save the file as a PSD file.

Open up the PSD file and then do your manipulations from there and use the 'save as' option and convert it to an appropriate format when you want to save the file. If you're saving it again as a PSD file, you would need to save it in another location of change the name of the file so as to not over-ride your 1st gen PSD file.

I dun know if this is the best workflow...perhaps the experts here can advise.

What camera are u using in da first place?

I dun want u to be using a sub-3MP camera and den crop liao, send for printing come out like shiat.... :sweat:

Feinwerkbau said:
Any resizing of Jpeg files will cause some degree of degradation.

Whether or not you will be able to see it in prints depend on many different factors, so it all depends on how you manage the file.

If you do not shoot in RAW, you might explore the option of immediately doing a full-sized crop (I usually do 12" x 8" 300) and save the file as a PSD file.

Open up the PSD file and then do your manipulations from there and use the 'save as' option and convert it to an appropriate format when you want to save the file. If you're saving it again as a PSD file, you would need to save it in another location of change the name of the file so as to not over-ride your 1st gen PSD file.

I dun know if this is the best workflow...perhaps the experts here can advise.
okok thks for ur advice...I will try it again... :)

jsbn said:
What camera are u using in da first place?

I dun want u to be using a sub-3MP camera and den crop liao, send for printing come out like shiat....

I am using a A95....any advice will be appreciated...thks... :)

Hmm... I'm not sure abt wad Arcsoft thing. But the safest way is to crop it in Photoshop (that's wad I do).

Crop it to 4x6 or 6x4.

Some of those 3rd party software, u never know.... I'm not depending my life on those Arcsoft lah, ultrasoft, circlesoft and wad soft.

Go! Go! Photoshop!

jsbn said:
Hmm... I'm not sure abt wad Arcsoft thing. But the safest way is to crop it in Photoshop (that's wad I do).

Crop it to 4x6 or 6x4.

Some of those 3rd party software, u never know.... I'm not depending my life on those Arcsoft lah, ultrasoft, circlesoft and wad soft.

Go! Go! Photoshop!

Seem tat not much pplhere use arcsoft leh...but it realli seem so user friendly for beginner like me... ;p ...or maybe it is becoz I am lazy... :bsmilie:

oh well think I will try using the arcsoft to resize den print out and see the diff....if arcsoft realli cant make it den I go try PS liao... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.