Need help in choosing my BTO unit...1st timer here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogueville

Apr 23, 2007
hi guys..i just got married not long ago..and i seriously have no idea which unit to choose or which block to choose..my balloted number is 0038 for the 4 rm flat in sunshine court..

there are 4 blocks...but seriously donno which is the better one...wonder which one will u all choose and why..

can advice?i don't have many friends to advice me on this...like as in which side will be very sunny and make the house hot...etc

sunshine court

SUNSHINECOURTmap.jpg

08DECBTOCCK_model_image.jpg

Bro, congrats on successful balloting, it looks like you are sure to secure a flat.

There are always pros and cons to which direction you will like to face, eventually, there are no "perfect" unit. I suggest you visit your CPFs, calculate how "high" you can afford. Do you drive? Are you lazy enough not to walk a few steps? If yes, then get the block connected to the carpark, well the cons is traffic could be heavy.

hmmm..thks for the reply man...how much cpf must i have at least now in my ordinary account to apply for a 4 rm flat that cost about $230k?

i heard just need to pay $2k first right?

If i were u i will go for high floor and North South Facing! Those facing away from Expressway like Blk 476D!:)

As for CPF HDB will wiping out everything in your ordinary account.

You forgot fengshui. Now please tell us your date of birth up to the minutes, and your wife too. Then we will tell you which direction to get.

no la..i not into fengshui at all..just need to find one that is not too hot..and near those busstops will do..

don't want the house to feel like sauna...

Congratulations!

IMO, i would would choose the highest floor available. Some may not choose the top unit due to roof leakage. But for me, the higher the better.

Another important point to note is laundry. If you are doing your own laundry (No maid, laundry shop to help), better to choose a unit with laundry drying area with sun. Unless you are going for dryer.

To prevent "sauna house", go for unit with master bedroom wall not facing the afternoon & evening sun. If that is not available, you can solar screen all your windows to cut down on the daytime heat.

Hope this help.

congrats!! the journey is going to be exciting and frustrating at times!

my flat (parents' one) is facing punggol road (opposite north vista sec). in the morning, the rising sun shines into the whole house from the windows, making it very hot. like in oven lidat. initially was uncomfortable, everyday must draw curtains and go sleep. now quite used to it le, so its okay.

i think for flats facing some main road, dust and dirt is a important factor. we seldom open the windows, yet the flat will be dusty at the end of the day. (we sweep it daily).

i think its quite difficult to judge from which side the sun will rise till you get your keys? :bsmilie: having said that perhaps you can go down to the site with the map layout of the flats before sunrise to roughly judge? based on the orientation of the map as well as the ground.

choosing a flat is a compromise of sorts. whether you want it near main road (noisy, dusty, accessible, convenient) or if you want it slightly further in (less dusty, quieter, more ulu, hard to find). near or away from carpark, potential coffeeshops (below MSCP) these are the factors you have to discuss with the missus.

Last edited:
hmmm..thks for the reply man...how much cpf must i have at least now in my ordinary account to apply for a 4 rm flat that cost about $230k?

wah... so lucky... i oni got my flat after trying 10 BTOs... curse the system until i get it :angry:...

anyway... 2K(cash) option fee pay when u select ur flat...

which flat to choose there are probably 1001 things to consider like which direction facing, bedroom face where, service balcony face where etc...must be away from the CRC(rubbish), staircase and lift depends...are u annoyed with ppl walking then avoid corridor path...so and so on...also the layout etc... all these oni you can decide...but ultimately, trust me, its ur wife decision, as long as ur wife likes it...

next appointment will be the 5% downpayment... using CPF... they will also refund you the 2K option fee...

Good Luck ;)

Last edited:
Looking at the plan...there is not much option... i will choose Blk 476D unit 53, 2nd choice unit 51 sanme block... or blk 476A unit 11, 2nd choice 13

away from the lift, CRC and staircase... there other 2 blks(476B abd 476C) facing the main road...

Basically you have already qualified since HDB approves your loan application. All current CPFs will be wipped out, the next payment will be 5%. Instead, you might be interested to know how much is the next 5% or how much you will be paying monthly, hence you will know if monthly cash top up is required or the amount balance in OA.

Link for calculation
http://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BP13FINPLAN1/BP13J020

Basically you have already qualified since HDB approves your loan application. All current CPFs will be wipped out, the next payment will be 5%. Instead, you might be interested to know how much is the next 5% or how much you will be paying monthly, hence you will know if monthly cash top up is required or the amount balance in OA.

Link for calculation
http://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BP13FINPLAN1/BP13J020

actually hdb has not approve any loan application, or in fact they has not approve anything... they only allow your to choose a flat, thats all...

on the first appointment, you still have to bring all necessary documents to support your flat application. 2nd appointment is to pay the 5% (CPF)... next is to wait for the flat to be ready...
Loan application is only done when you got your keys... thats is ~3 years years... so you still have to get your HLE done 3 years later... only then your CPF will be wipe out...
HDB will calculate everything for you, 2K option, how much is the stamp fee, how much 5% to pay, outstanding sum, after CPF wipe out how much monthly installment to pay etc...

my 2 cents

Check out the floor layout and where the central refuse chute will be relative to the units you are considering. you may not like neighbours to walk past your unit when disposing their waste bags (drips, stains, smell, etc)

Facing - (NE, SE, E facing) morning sun is better than afternoon sun, if your family is out for work during the day, the walls would have cooled down by the evening. A south facing unit will get some sunlight at all times of the day so there will be more natural lighting.

Floor - the floor of your unit will also affect the brightness of your unit. get the highest unit you can afford over the repayment period.

Loan amount - check CPF ruling on the maximum withdrawal amount. If you can take HDB loan, take the max 30 years repayment period 1st. you can make lump sum principle payments at any time during your repayment period and change the repayment period then.

Carpark - if you drive or intend to drive. if nearby a MSCP, it can be noisy at night as most MSCP are around 5 levels high.

Expressways - if facing one, you may hear the traffic when your windows are open.

kan cheong man...i got the letter finally..going to select my flat on 21st this mth to select..very worried i choose wrong one

nothing to do with feng shui, avoid as much as possible unit that have room or wall facing the west. logic is that the wall or room that is expose to the west will be radiated by the sun in the evening. the wall will absorb the heat and release it during night time. your room will be hot at night.

if u stay low level and got other building to shield you during the evening then ok. if u high level unit usually nothing to block the evening son from heating up the wall of your room

kan cheong man...i got the letter finally..going to select my flat on 21st this mth to select..very worried i choose wrong one
Dont worry so much man... Just relax. I think no matter which unit you choose, the most impt thing is you and your wife likes it and enjoy staying in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.