Need help in choosing DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeyf

Oct 17, 2004
Hi. After reading the general comments on this board I've somewhat settled on a Dynax 5D due to the antishake and other features. However, I just found out that my uncle has some old Nikon lenses, so I could use them if I bought a Nikon body since he doesn't do much photography nowadays.

The lenses he has are AF 70-200 f/4-5.6, AF 35-135 f/3.5-4.5 and AF 20/24 f2.8 (not sure if its 20 or 24). Should I buy a D50/D70s instead since he already has these lenses?http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/nikkor.shtml#Nikkor

u may 1 2 check if he will pass those lenses 2 u, & if they r photo worthy- no major scratch or fungus growth. :)

Oops - Put the wrong lenses - it's actually AF Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6, AF Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6 and AF Nikkor 24 f/2.8.
I'll check the lenses soon.

That's gonna save you quite a bit of money on lenses if they are in good condition, and of course, if your uncle's gonna pass them to u.

Yep, if your uncle is going to let you inherit the glasses, you're better off buying a camera body to fit the glasses.

yeah man .. i wish i had an uncle who'd give me his old 24-120 (vr i assume?) the 24mm prime ... wahh .. sweet lens for street shooting ...

Expiredyoghurt said:
yeah man .. i wish i had an uncle who'd give me his old 24-120 (vr i assume?) the 24mm prime ... wahh .. sweet lens for street shooting ...
Nope, looks like the older AF-D 24-120, non-VR.

ahh .. ok .. non-VR ... still ... already got something to start with mah .. hahah

Yup its non-VR.
Just checked the lenses. The 24 and 24-120 seem to be ok after cleaning the front of the lens, but the 70-210 has something inside the lens that looks like this:
p1040330b3xm.jpg

Is this fungus? How do I remove it and will it affect image quality greatly?

Also, since I already have these three lenses, should I still buy the kit lens when buying my D70s?

eeee.....fungus. go get it cleaned quick. the more u wait, the deadder ur lens becomes. if u alr have the lens, can still buy kit lens then sell it off for $350 here. i think still cheaper that way. the 24-120 should serve your needs very well. :)

I cleaned off the fungus on the front with a micro-fibre cloth, but there is still some fungus inside the lens. How do I get that off?

How long as it been there? Fungus takes away the coating of the glass, if it's there for long time already, no point keeping it, might as well throw away.

This is just my own opinion:

If I were you, I will stick to the purchase of the KM 5D.
Sell off whatever is still in good condition.

If my uncle is going to pass me the lens, I will tell him my decision to sell them off to get new lens for my KM 5D since they can't be used on my new body.
Of coz, I will use part of the money to give him a treat and thanks him. :bsmilie:

No point getting your uncle's lens when you know that KM D5D even with kit lens can give you an awesome image quality. Moreover, Minolta mount lens (be it 3rd party also) are generally available and cheaper. Their less expensive glasses can produce better image quality compared to competition. :) You should know what I mean if you do your homework..

I think Nikon's lenses are of very good quality too. Especially the 18-70 "kit" lens.

Of course, that's not the lens that comes with D50, if that's the camera you're thinking of. I highly recommend a used D70 kit set that goes for around 1.2k.The other Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6 and AF Nikkor 24 f/2.8 lens that your uncle has are not shabby at all, definitely comparable to the 5D kit lens (and some claim better, depending on where you come from).

With just 1.2k, you will have a very versatile arsenal of lens, even if your uncle's 24-120 is irreparable. Bring it to a camera repair shop like the camera clinic or stg at Burlington square and ask for an expert opinion.

If you like more contrasty kind of images, D70 allows the loading of custom curves. The build of D70 is also very reassuring.

Is it fungus? Looks like lint... ;P

espn said:
How long as it been there? Fungus takes away the coating of the glass, if it's there for long time already, no point keeping it, might as well throw away.

oh don't throw it away, give it to me

Actually my uncle's not really giving me the lenses. But since he doesn't have much time for photography nowadays, I get to use them. Anyway I found out that both the 70-210 and 24-120 have fungus. So where do I send them for cleaning and how much will it cost? Still deciding on whether to buy D70s...:think:

Prime Camera Centre
111 North Bridge Rd #01-15 Peninsula Plaza

The Camera Workshop
3 Coleman St #01-31

seeyf said:
Actually my uncle's not really giving me the lenses. But since he doesn't have much time for photography nowadays, I get to use them. Anyway I found out that both the 70-210 and 24-120 have fungus. So where do I send them for cleaning and how much will it cost? Still deciding on whether to buy D70s...:think:

in the words of the great ....

MTL Buy buy buy

Status
Not open for further replies.