Need help identifying fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDAphoto

Jun 23, 2011
I just bought a Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 from ebay.
Arrived after about 2 weeks.

Seller describes glass as 'Clean'.

I look into the lens under bright light and I see what looks like tons of dust/fungus? trapped inside it.
Small dots, big dots, fibrous strands inside...
How does one tell if it is dust or fungus?

I need some help, if possible can do a quick meetup and help me check.
thanks..

Last edited:

I look into the lens under bright light and I see what looks like tons of dust/fungus? trapped inside it.

thanks..

I think you can just post pictures and we can help you see if its fungus.

thanks..

fibrous strands = fungus. i dont think hair can get in that easily

this is a lens i bought previously from an online store selling second hand equipments. sorry for large image. hope this helps.

256002_10150191993877523_688242522_7030552_5970491_o.jpg

it was still not too serious, i sent in to fatigue to help me clean it since the spot wasn't very big and have not eaten into the coatings yet.

ask for refund then? but I'm afraid you'll need to pay for the shipping cost.

be careful if the sellers are from USA. I've done many transactions with them. They always argue that they are right and buyers from Asia always want to deceive them for money.

i once bought a pentax mount lens and one of the sellers sent me contax yashica mount lens instead, and he never admit it that he sent it wrongly. most of them just bought cameras/lenses from estate sale, and simply resale it on ebay without much inspection. So, if you can get it locally on clubsnap buy&sell, it would be better. Ebay is risky.

To sin: that is obviously the fungus. Do the seller declare as clean?

DDAphoto said:

thanks..

You tell the eBay seller that item is not as described and will tv a bad rating if he doesn't solve this in yr way

D: inside alot of small dots, don't know is what.
Front element Back Element interior, WHOLE SURFACE filled with closely dispersed small dots.
(Location of dots are place that cannot be touched by fingers, that means inside the lens. Not sure if dust can go in or not, so cant be sure if they are dust. Most probably fungus.)

1. If I bring to fatigue to kill all the fungus now, will they dissapear?
2. Even if they don't dissapear they will stop spreading right?
3. Will these small dots affect image quality?

I just wanna sell the lens, cause I bought a 50mm A version already. D:

Last edited:
You tell the eBay seller that item is not as described and will tv a bad rating if he doesn't solve this in yr way

Negative rating only?

You are entitled to raise dispute and get a full refund. I assume this was paid with Paypal.. In which case, if you can prove your case to eBay, they will side with buyer.

Negative rating only?

You are entitled to raise dispute and get a full refund. I assume this was paid with Paypal.. In which case, if you can prove your case to eBay, they will side with buyer.

The lens cost 100 SGD, shipping cost is free.
Singapore shipping to USA should be 25-50 SGD.

Will I get back the money I used to send back to the seller?

Negative rating only?

Yes, It's paid with paypal.

Last edited:
Front element Back Element interior, WHOLE SURFACE filled with closely dispersed small dots.
(Location of dots are place that cannot be touched by fingers, that means inside the lens. Not sure if dust can go in or not, so cant be sure if they are dust. Most probably fungus.)

1. If I bring to fatigue to kill all the fungus now, will they dissapear?
2. Even if they don't dissapear they will stop spreading right?
3. Will these small dots affect image quality?

The dots sound like dried up water spots.. Which can be caused by condensation.

Not sure what you are going on about, one minute got fibrous strands, now you don't mention them.

Without a picture, and your inconsistent descriptions, it's hard to pass any judgement whatsoever. After all, you may be saying that there's a monkey in your lens next!

Front element Back Element interior, filled with closely dispersed small dots.

If I bring to fatigue to kill all the fungus now, will they dissapear?
even if they don't dissapear they will stop spreading right?
Will these small dots affect image quality?

1) Fungus grows under the right condition, which includes high humidity as one of the condition.
2) If removed completely, it should not spread anymore, but refer to point 1. But if I read correctly, if the cleaning is not done properly (as in got some residual fungus spots), it will still grow/spread.
3) If the lens is badly infected by fungus, even after removing the fungus, it will still affect the IQ of the image.

If it's a fungus infected lens, when you sell it, I hope you specify clearly in it....

Yes, It's paid with paypal.

My suggestion is that you take the trouble to read up yourself, so that you are more familiar with such issues. Will help you in future when dealing on eBay, whether buyer or seller. Both sides have ways to protect themselves either way. I do know the answer, it's out there for you to find. I don't see why there is a need to detail all these when eBay help center has more than enough information on all these procedures. Cheers.

Best to communicate with seller first. Do note that there is a time period for you to raise dispute, so keep an eye on that. Sometimes the sellers will just refund you the money.

Last edited:
The dots sound like dried up water spots.. Which can be caused by condensation.

Not sure what you are going on about, one minute got fibrous strands, now you don't mention them.

Without a picture, and your inconsistent descriptions, it's hard to pass any judgement whatsoever. After all, you may be saying that there's a monkey in your lens next!

Really have small fibrous strands and small dots, just that the fibrous strands are not the fungus kind.
They really look like small fibrous strands T.T

On third look, they look like a line of fungus.
Some tiny scratches also, probably caused by wiping with tissue paper.

To sin: that is obviously the fungus. Do the seller declare as clean?

I bought from keh.com and this lens I bought got a rating of EX somemore.

but they are not bad at resolving this matter, they send me a replacement lens (no further charges, shipping included) to me which is EX+ condition! That gives me the confidence to buy more things from them.

Just ordered a Contax 167MT body from them last night. Also EX condition.

DDAphoto ty post a photo of your lens condition, easier for us to advise.

and u can also pm fatigue to come to this thread for his expertise advise.

I bought from keh.com and this lens I bought got a rating of EX somemore.

but they are not bad at resolving this matter, they send me a replacement lens (no further charges, shipping included) to me which is EX+ condition! That gives me the confidence to buy more things from them.

Just ordered a Contax 167MT body from them last night. Also EX condition.

Did you have to ship the lens back? Did they pau u the shipping back to them? Approx. how much $ was it to ship back?

Really have small fibrous strands and small dots, just that the fibrous strands are not the fungus kind.
They really look like small fibrous strands T.T

On third look, they look like a line of fungus.
Some tiny scratches also, probably caused by wiping with tissue paper.

So you now have fibrous strands that are not fungus, but look like a line of fungus. :dunno: :dunno:

I think you have an Animorph trapped in your lens...???

Jokes aside, just take a picture and save everyone the trouble here... It would be better!

DDAphoto ty post a photo of your lens condition, easier for us to advise.

and u can also pm fatigue to come to this thread for his expertise advise.

I will post a pic tonight after I buy the K-r from another clubsnapper.
Do I need a macro lens for this? or is a 15-55 good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.