Need help... glare from lamppost lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroplastic

Jul 27, 2009
4037713822_29c2c546f4_o.jpg

I'm getting this awful glare from the lamppost lights. Taken on F8.0, 30sec shutter speed. Will CPL reduce this?

In short, I'm afraid not.

Maybe can try a Graduated ND filter.

I'm getting this awful glare from the lamppost lights. Taken on F8.0, 30sec shutter speed. Will CPL reduce this?

No, because that's not glare.

Very funny really, most newbies will struggle to achieve the "star" effect, and you don't want it. LOL.

CPL filter.....................nope

shoot at wide open you won't get stars on lamp post,

exclude lamp post out of frame you won't get flair from lamp post.

That's the outcome of using small apertures dude.. As Rashkae said, there are many who try hard to get that effect ;)

that's basically what you get when you have bright light on the scene you are capturing. either you exclude them from your image or you would have to shoot during the daytime or in the evening right before the lights are turned on.

CPL won't help since CPL reduces reflections which this isn't.

How about with high shutter speed & low aperture setting ?

Last edited:
then he wouldnt get the light streaks from the vehicles on the road.

Do the same, but with an ND filter... So you can use larger apertures but slower shutter speeds.

So many like to capture that star-like effect, why u want to remove?:think:

That's not a glare, it's called refraction (if I'm not wrong).
It took me about 1yr to get such effect. ;)

can tell me why it took you 1yr to get that effect; know some lenses don't have large f-stops like f1.4/f2 but all lenses have at least an f16 :dunno:

can tell me why it took you 1yr to get that effect; know some lenses don't have large f-stops like f1.4/f2 but all lenses have at least an f16 :dunno:

maybe they don't understand that small apertures gives the starburst effect?
or perhaps compact cams can only go up to a certain min aperture? like f/8 or f/11?

anw, an (interesting) fact, the number of streaks in the starburst depends on the number of aperture blades in the lens.

That's not a glare, it's called refraction (if I'm not wrong).
It took me about 1yr to get such effect. ;)

that's not refrection.Refraction is the blurring of picture due to high aperture.
On a side note,I mistook refraction and diffraction in my science exam and I wrote refraction when the ans is diffraction.LOL

that's not refrection.Refraction is the blurring of picture due to high aperture.
On a side note,I mistook refraction and diffraction in my science exam and I wrote refraction when the ans is diffraction.LOL

btw,

diffraction is the apparent bending of waves around small obstacles and the spreading out of waves past small openings.
the blurring of photos u are referring to is caused by this due to small aperture size.

refraction is the change in direction of a wave due to a change in its velocity.

Last edited:
btw,

diffraction is the apparent bending of waves around small obstacles and the spreading out of waves past small openings.
the blurring of photos u are referring to is caused by this due to small aperture size.

refraction is the change in direction of a wave due to a change in its velocity.

Now i'm confused:confused:Which is which?According to shaoken,the photography one is refraction .But you are saying refraction is the light bending through denser medium thingy.So which is which?LOL

the spokes are caused by diffraction at the edges of the aperture blades. The rounded your aperture blades are, the wider the spokes. Take a starburst taken from an lx-3 and a g9. the g9 has wider spokes because the blades are rounded. lx-3 has sharp spokes because the blades aren't exactly round.

If the aperture is perfectly round and flat without blades, there will be no spokes. Correct me if i'm wrong, I drew this observation from f200's 2 fixed apertures which seems to be rounded and doesn't produce any starbursts.

can try zooming in too, take say 8 shots to stitch to his composition. the starburst will be smaller. :)

PP ah.... PP. :bsmilie:

Try taking the picture a some daylight left, that way, the street light won't get that obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.