need help. gaffer tape

ylann

May 16, 2010
I need help..
I bought my dslr one year old with the gaffer tape on which claim that it is to protect the camera from scratches.
However, recently I found that the tape leave a sticky residue if I try to remove it. And it seen very bad.
Anyone know what should I do to remove the tape, I mean the sticky residue.
Thanks!!!

I need help..
I bought my dslr one year old with the gaffer tape on which claim that it is to protect the camera from scratches.
However, recently I found that the tape leave a sticky residue if I try to remove it. And it seen very bad.
Thanks!!!

Depends on how the camera is stored. My gaffered gear from up to 3 years ago, stored in dry box and air conditioned room, still leaves no residue, and removing it felt like it was just pasted on minutes ago. Gaffered gear stored in high humidity and warmer temperature is a different story. When I buy pre-owned gear that has gaffer, seller will be asked to remove all gaffer, otherwise not buying. You never know the gaffer actually conceals damage.

So you can use another fresh piece of gaffer tape to 'stick off' the sticky residue. If you dont have gaffer, you can try strong duct tape.

There is also a product available at Home Fix DIY and Self Fix DIY, known as Goof-Off, which will remove the stubborn sticky residue.

Last edited:
use a hairdryer to blow until its really dry ....... let it cool in aircon room ..... then peel off

i just normally use my fingers to push off any gunk left behind

agree with above .... when buying 2nd hand and if body gaffered .... do insist on the seller REMOVING every piece of gaffer so that its not hiding any defects

I need help..
Thanks!!!

Use the peel off tape, do some quick multi-taps with slight pressure on the residue area, see the magic, works like a charm every time :)

Get a rag and ligther fluid. Pour some of the lighter fluid on the rag and rub away the sticky stuff:)

Depends on how the camera is stored. My gaffered gear from up to 3 years ago, stored in dry box and air conditioned room, still leaves no residue, and removing it felt like it was just pasted on minutes ago. Gaffered gear stored in high humidity and warmer temperature is a different story. When I buy pre-owned gear that has gaffer, seller will be asked to remove all gaffer, otherwise not buying. You never know the gaffer actually conceals damage.

So you can use another fresh piece of gaffer tape to 'stick off' the sticky residue. If you dont have gaffer, you can try strong duct tape.

There is also a product available at Home Fix DIY and Self Fix DIY, known as Goof-Off, which will remove the stubborn sticky residue.

Using fresh tape to stick and pull out old residue is the best advice. Ed's recommendation of hairdryer is also one of the ways to increase the effectiveness of the removal.

By the way, Gaffer = Duct = Cloth tape, no matter how some shops/companies tries to glorify their products. You can get a roll of good gaffer tape with the same latex bonding adhesive as apollo for just around $2.50 a 2" x 12 yards roll in the industry. Which is also why I do not understand why Apollo costs so much especially when they do not manufacture their own tape as well.

gaffer tape isn't duct tape right?

I think your seller came from the Duct Side...gaffer tape should not have any residue ?

Last edited:
Why paste tape on to the camera body.Are you into this line

gaffer tape isn't duct tape right?

I think your seller came from the Duct Side...gaffer tape should not have any residue ?

Gaffer tape = Duct tape... Same...

Just that there are different kinds of Gaffer/Duct tape. And the differences are very simple: glossy, matt, different colors, and different bond strength (N / sq m). They all use the same non-residue latex adhesive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Will try the tape or hairdryer and update ;)