Need help from Pros - What LCD monitor do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
I am looking to upgrade my LCD monitor to work more accurately with photographic images but not sure which panels to choose. I would welcome suggestions very much.

Thanks.

Apple Cinema Display 23'' :thumbsup: I'm totally happy with it. Its price is a bit on the high side, but I've absolutely no regrets getting the monitor.

Apple Cinema Display 23'' :thumbsup: I'm totally happy with it. Its price is a bit on the high side, but I've absolutely no regrets getting the monitor.

Thanks but unfortunately - I am a PC user. :-(
Can you recommend a PC LCD display.

I'm a PC user myself, Cinema Display works fine under XP or Vista. The built-in USB/1384 ports work as well.

I'm a PC user myself, Cinema Display works fine under XP or Vista. The built-in USB/1384 ports work as well.

Wow, useable with PC Window's XP? I had no idea it works. Will pop down to Funan to check it out. Hope it NOT too expensive.

Hope to hear from others here whether brands like Viewsonic or Eizo etc. etc. are worth their money.

Cheers

Samsung 17inch bought 4 years ago,still working real good.
But currently i'm thinking of switching over to bravia hd for game since they produce live colour,might be a good choice for u.

I am using a Viewsonic VX2025VM. Its a great LCD monitor. Good colors and viewing angle is good too. But its already discontinued. Crapz.

24" or 27" dell ultrasharps.... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

yeah.................

Here is one for you.... NEC Spectraview 2090uxi with 12-bit programmable LUT and 12-bit gamma correction. It is the next best monitor after Eizo ColorEdge.

I took over my GF's old Samsung 710n :D works great and colours quite good after calibration. Beats my IBM lcd on the laptop anytime heh

do NOT get the cheap dell 22"s (E228WFP) colours drastically change depending on your viewing angle. for example...if you slouch and then sit up straight...colours will be different.

stay away from it

Not a pro here but i'm using a Dell 2407 and a LG L1710s in DualView. I think the more important thing is to get your monitor(s) calibrated. If i don't calibrate my 2 monitors, their colour is noticeably VERY different especially since they are viewed side by side, which would make it rather impossible to judge colour between them.

I'm not a pro but i feel u should go for one of those 26" inch HD bravia from sony,price ranges from 1299 for a 26" inch..few hundred dolalrs more than your LCD monitor but hey u get superb quality,real colours and HD engine.
seeing that there will be a swtich from LCD to HD sometime in the future,why not switch it now?
Remember few years back when LCD threw CRT manufactuers off their knees?
There's going to be another swtich soon.
This is my stand since i see it will prove to be more economical to get a HD screen now rather than buy a conventional LCD and then wantign to swtich to HD later on.
Remember,HD allows u to watch television too.

I took over my GF's old Samsung 710n :D works great and colours quite good after calibration. Beats my IBM lcd on the laptop anytime heh

I'll update my samsung model once i get home.
True,i got my LCD from samsung few years back and they were the leading makers in LCD at that time,still making superb LCD's now.

I'm not a pro but i feel u should go for one of those 26" inch HD bravia from sony,price ranges from 1299 for a 26" inch..few hundred dolalrs more than your LCD monitor but hey u get superb quality,real colours and HD engine.
seeing that there will be a swtich from LCD to HD sometime in the future,why not switch it now?
Remember few years back when LCD threw CRT manufactuers off their knees?
There's going to be another swtich soon.
This is my stand since i see it will prove to be more economical to get a HD screen now rather than buy a conventional LCD and then wantign to swtich to HD later on.
Remember,HD allows u to watch television too.

Errr.. Do you even know what LCD, CRT, HD mean? :sweat:

Errr.. Do you even know what LCD, CRT, HD mean? :sweat:

liquid crystal display,cathode ray tube and high definition.

difference between crt and lcd we all know but between hd and lcd,i think the main difference would be their engine?
Hd is a broadcasting system but it no doubt has better colours and resolution than the "normal" lcd.
correct me if i'm wrong.

HD has nothing to do with whether the LCD is better or worse. You can playback HD video on your monitor as well. And in terms of resolution, your typical monitor is higher than your HD TV. For reference, a 720p/1080i LCD TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and a 1080p LCD TV has a resolution of 1920x1080. A 17"/19" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1440x900, already higher than a 720p/1080i LCD TV. A 20"/22" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. A 24"/27" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1920x1200 (higher than a 1080p LCD TV). The 30" LCD monitors are even higher.

In terms of colour, the reason why LCD TVs (HD or not) tend to have punchier colours is because they boost the saturation and contrast to make the picture more appealing. However, this is generally what we don't want for accurate imaging work on a computer since what is required is accuracy and not artificially boosted levels of saturation and contrast. Sony Bravia TVs in particular (i have one) tend to make the reds really over-saturated to the point that you lose detail. The exaggeration of contrast also tends to kill shadow and highlight detail, which again is what you don't want in a good monitor for working with images.

Hope this clears it up. :)

HD has nothing to do with whether the LCD is better or worse. You can playback HD video on your monitor as well. And in terms of resolution, your typical monitor is higher than your HD TV. For reference, a 720p/1080i LCD TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and a 1080p LCD TV has a resolution of 1920x1080. A 17"/19" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1440x900, already higher than a 720p/1080i LCD TV. A 20"/22" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. A 24"/27" widescreen LCD monitor has a resolution of 1920x1200 (higher than a 1080p LCD TV). The 30" LCD monitors are even higher.

In terms of colour, the reason why LCD TVs (HD or not) tend to have punchier colours is because they boost the saturation and contrast to make the picture more appealing. However, this is generally what we don't want for accurate imaging work on a computer since what is required is accuracy and not artificially boosted levels of saturation and contrast. Sony Bravia TVs in particular (i have one) tend to make the reds really over-saturated to the point that you lose detail. The exaggeration of contrast also tends to kill shadow and highlight detail, which again is what you don't want in a good monitor for working with images.

Hope this clears it up. :)

THanks Denosha, this does help a lot and clears things up for me. My little knowledge of current LCD and HD TV tech did make me wonder about the comment about getting the 'HD' monitor. I have searched the net and found no advice on getting such a monitor over a well proven reference LCD for image work.

I was considering a new 22" but it seems like the 24" is a better bet due to higher resolution. It would make editing in Photoshop a lot easier without having to enlarge and then resize the image during edits.

I do agree with your comment about calibration but even with a calibrator, I find that my 19" HPCompaq (that is connected to my son's PC) is inconsistent. The Philips 19" in my office is worse - the colour changes when I sit high or low in respect to the screen. I have a 17 Sharp (over 2 years old now) which is very accurate but not big enough. Hence considering an upgrade to something bigger and better.

So any recommendations to that effect is most welcome.

Thanks again for sharing your information here.

Cheers
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.